Photo
* * * * * 2 votes

The Acoustic Thread - What are you listening to?

• Please log in to reply
895 replies to this topic

#41 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,594 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 16 July 2015 - 12:32 AM

Klunk.  Wonder what I did wrong to get this code instead of the video?

If you're on a non tablet device, click on the left most icon in the address (URL) field, and copy that. I believe that will fix it. Nice banjo regardless.

I am haunted by waters

#42 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,345 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 16 July 2015 - 12:57 AM

Back in the days of my youth, I remember this was one of the first folk songs I heard. But, it was the popular, toned down, Burl Ives version. I prefer the original words from the hobo days.

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#43 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,594 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 16 July 2015 - 02:14 AM

I really like John Hartford.   It's a shame he passed so young.

Big Rock Candy Mountain was on the Down from the Mountain album that included some of the music from "Oh Brother Where Art Thou".   Another performer on that album was Gillian Welch, plus her partner David Rawlins.   

I am haunted by waters

#44 Cayuse

Cayuse

• Members
  • 771 posts
  • LocationMesa, AZ

Posted 18 July 2015 - 04:40 PM

Speaking of passing too young I've been listening to a bunch of Steve Goodman lately.

2002 Grandby, 2008 Tundra Double Cab
Off Road Utility Trailer
Not enough time to go exploring.

#45 MarkBC

MarkBC

The Weatherman

• Site Team
  • 6,602 posts
  • LocationBend, Oregon

Posted 31 July 2015 - 03:39 AM

It was mostly acoustic this afternoon as I drove to my campspot in Oregon's Warner Mts.:

• BeauSoleil:  "Parlez-Nous a Boire"
  • Dave Brubeck Quartet: "Time Out"
  • Bulgarian State Radio & Television Female Vocal Choir: "Le Mystere des Voix Bulgares"

I won't mention the Smashing Pumpkins interlude, since that would be off-topic.

;)

FWC Hawk (2005) on a Ford F250 Supercab, 6.8L V10 gas (2000)

#46 4llamas

4llamas

• Members
  • 321 posts
  • LocationSW Willamette Valley, Oregon

Posted 31 July 2015 - 02:58 PM

I really like John Hartford.   It's a shame he passed so young.

Big Rock Candy Mountain was on the Down from the Mountain album that included some of the music from "Oh Brother Where Art Thou".   Another performer on that album was Gillian Welch, plus her partner David Rawlins.   

John Hartford was my introduction to bluegrass.  I still enjoy his music. 

I was fortunate enough to see the "Down From the Mountain" tour when it stopped in Salem, OR.  The number of A list musicians traveling for a 2-3 hour concert was staggering.  There were probably 75-100 musicians.  My bluegrass dream come true.  I need to get that recording.

#47 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,296 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 31 July 2015 - 06:02 PM

John Hartford was my introduction to bluegrass.  I still enjoy his music. 

I was fortunate enough to see the "Down From the Mountain" tour when it stopped in Salem, OR.  The number of A list musicians traveling for a 2-3 hour concert was staggering.  There were probably 75-100 musicians.  My bluegrass dream come true.  I need to get that recording.

We have friends in Eugene one used to work for the convention center .They sure get a lot of great people to play in the area.

Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#48 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,345 posts

Posted 07 August 2015 - 05:00 AM

One of my fondest memories is spending a day, several years ago, sitting, talking, and sharing stories with John Hartford. He was a talented and remarkable person. This was in, of all places, Fallon, Nevada.

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#49 chnlisle

chnlisle

Post Master

• Members
  • 3,811 posts
  • LocationThe Old Pueblo

Posted 07 August 2015 - 10:46 PM

Tasty stuff.

Special Engel Pricing For WTW Members

Click here to see my ATC Cougar
JayAronowSales.com
(520)579-9610
jayaronow@gmail.com

#50 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,345 posts

Posted 02 September 2015 - 02:30 PM

One of our favorite movies is The Grey Fox, a Canadian movie staring Richard Farnsworth. The outlaw Bill Miner is credited with inventing the command, "Hands up!" Norman Blake steps back into time with this old folk ballad.

a clip from the movie

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users