Photo
- - - - -

East Coast Trip Part 1, Stockton to Baltimore.

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#11 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,345 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 20 March 2015 - 03:30 PM

Bill, we are enjoying following along on your trip. A big congratulations on your daughter's incredible academic achievement. You guys must be very proud! :) Continue to have safe and fun travels and please bring us some of that cheap gas and snow. :)

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#12 Foy

Foy

Resident Geologist

• Members
  • 1,295 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

Posted 20 March 2015 - 04:43 PM

Bill and Veronica,

Thanks for posting.  Your trip across AR and MS was right through some areas I did field work in during the late 1970s and early 1980s.  Your pic in front of the Cone Manor house along the BRP at Blowing Rock, NC is only 5 miles from my family's vacation home on a ridgetop on the opposite end of the 2,700 acre Cone Memorial Park.  It's only 10 miles from Boone, NC, where my alma mater is located.

It's a shame about how the BRP closures affected your trip.  The BRP has lots and lots of road crossings over its 469 mile length, and many are equipped with gates on the BRP itself. With virtually no effort at snow removal, and only a skeleton crew of NPS rangers to run the Park along its length, all they can do is close it off here and there for a spell after a snowfall, and there have been lots of those this winter. The only way to plan it is to access either their website or the telephone message.  The phone message is in fact updated very frequently and can be relied upon for real-time data. 

Late winter-early Spring is a terrific time to be on the BRP and the Skyline Drive within Shenandoah NP.  No leaves to block the view, and generally nice brisk temps.

Enjoy Baltimore!  Have some steamed blue crabs and a Natty Bo or two.

Foy

#13 CALIcamperdad

CALIcamperdad

• Members
  • 237 posts

Posted 20 March 2015 - 06:38 PM

Hey Bill your Pinnacles photo. Did you guys post about that trip? I havent been there and spoke with some folks in Carmel Valley about it. Was digging around to get some idea about that area.

Oh hey! Have a fun trip. HA!

#14 billharr

billharr

• Members
  • 2,824 posts
  • LocationStockton CA

Posted 20 March 2015 - 08:13 PM

Hey Bill your Pinnacles photo. Did you guys post about that trip? I havent been there and spoke with some folks in Carmel Valley about it. Was digging around to get some idea about that area.

Oh hey! Have a fun trip. HA!

Pinnacles report here. 

#15 highz

highz

Retreaded

• Members
  • 1,816 posts
  • LocationSacramento Mountains, NM

Posted 20 March 2015 - 09:51 PM

Enjoying your trip report. Make sure your daughter's committee shows her the secret handshake   ;) What was her dissertation on?

'99 Ford Ranger XLT, '08 FWC Eagle
-------------
“the clearest way into the Universe is through a forest wilderness.” - John Muir

#16 Jollyrogers

Jollyrogers

• Members
  • 147 posts

Posted 20 March 2015 - 10:06 PM

nice trip report. sorry about all the closures on BRP. I would look into National Forests for your southbound trip towards FLA. Places like Uhwharrie, NC or Dismal Swamp in VA. and map your way down south. They don't "close" like the NPs do from Oct-May. Everglades is pretty cool - was boring on a M/C though last time I was down that way. Safe travels!!!

#17 billharr

billharr

• Members
  • 2,824 posts
  • LocationStockton CA

Posted 20 March 2015 - 11:44 PM

Enjoying your trip report. Make sure your daughter's committee shows her the secret handshake   ;) What was her dissertation on?

Directed targeting of chromatin to the nuclear lamina is mediated by chromatin state and A-type lamins

#18 mitch h

mitch h

• Members
  • 317 posts
  • Locationbrazil,in.

Posted 21 March 2015 - 12:10 AM

Nice trip Bill. Still crappy here in the midwest. Just got back Wed. from Florida. Been in mid 80s the last 2 or 3 weeks. You will enjoy Key west. Wear sun screen. Safe travels. Mitch

#19 highz

highz

Retreaded

• Members
  • 1,816 posts
  • LocationSacramento Mountains, NM

Posted 21 March 2015 - 12:15 AM

Well, I read the abstract. Didn't understand much, but I read it. Congrats to her. Looking forward to reading about more of your trip.

'99 Ford Ranger XLT, '08 FWC Eagle
-------------
“the clearest way into the Universe is through a forest wilderness.” - John Muir

#20 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,296 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 21 March 2015 - 08:07 PM

Bill thanks for the report 'east"

Mississippi is a very interesting place. Hauled cotton through there back in the 70's

have no desire to return.

Spring back east what fun.

It's always fun to meet other campers/members on the road.

Drive safe.Waiting for next part.

Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users