• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#11 super doody

super doody

• Members
  • 638 posts
  • LocationSan Mateo Coast

Posted 27 March 2015 - 05:42 AM

Darn it! I just realize the camper battery system is an additional option and it was not on my order form. Now i have have to pay another 200$ to get it added  :(  You would think a $20K camper would came with a battery system. Can anyone clarify what additional wiring is part of the battery system? My truck is already wiring with a attwood plug on the truck bed with thermal breaker on the starting battery.

2003 Tacoma 4X4 - 2007 FWC Eagle shell

2006 Tundra Double Cab - 2015 Hawk - side dinette, silver spur interior

#12 PaulT

PaulT

Need gumbo

• Members
  • 2,612 posts
  • LocationHillsboro, Oregon

Posted 27 March 2015 - 06:14 AM

Did you get the solar wiring & connectors for roof and rear of camper? Good option if you plan to add solar later.

Paul
I thought getting old would take longer.

#13 super doody

super doody

• Members
  • 638 posts

Posted 27 March 2015 - 06:24 AM

Did you get the solar wiring & connectors for roof and rear of camper? Good option if you plan to add solar later.

Paul

Yes, they are standard now. 

#14 takesiteasy

takesiteasy

• Members
  • 2,588 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 27 March 2015 - 01:36 PM

Hi All,

I'm taking delivery of our camper on the morning of the FWC Rally so our camper needs to be ready for use that day within hrs of installation. I wouldn't be as concern but we'll be camping with our 17 months daughter. 

Furnace - I know its good to let it run for a bit to air out any bad fumes?

Water tank - Do I need to treat and clean the water tank prior to use?

Fridge - How long does it take to get cold? We probably go grocery shopping near Woodland on the way to Sugar loaf. 

Electric consumption - I won't have time to install my own solar panel and controller so we'll be using the camper battery the whole weekend. With the fridge running and some furnace use, should I have enough battery power?  I do have a brand new Honda EU2000 generator I can bring as a back up. I"m not really a generator guy.  In fact, my FIL insisting on getting this generator for me. It wasn't my choice. If I have to use it, I'll definitely be respectful of neighbors.     

Any other considerations or advice?

Thanks,

Jim 

Maybe goes without saying, but remember to fill the propane tanks. I didn't and we found ourselves camped in the Bighorn Mountains our first night with snow but no heat. Congrats on the new camper.

2011 Tacoma AC TRD
ATC Custom Shell

travelswithrockythedog.blogspot.com

#15 RC Pilot Jim

RC Pilot Jim

• Members
  • 1,544 posts
  • LocationSan Diego Calif

Posted 27 March 2015 - 01:50 PM

Call FWC this morning and  add the "Aux" battery system with two batteries, Sure Power, their 20 amp solar controller includes the battery monitor I think ( you will need to confirm that). You have about a month before pickup so it is probably still in the building stage. Have FWC connect the solar wiring which will include the fuses between the controller and batteries....One less thing you have to do. (Will give you more time with your daughter)

Each battery  produces maximum 9 hours running time(12- 14 hours darkness)  at the Dometic amp draw of 4.5 (or more) amps per hour. Adding the furnace blower, fan, lights (couple hours at night) pushes average up to 5.5-6 amps per hour (decreases running time to 7 hours per night)

My recommendation - Buy two batteries.

When you add the solar go with 2ea 100 watt lightweight  bendable solar panels on the roof. 

Solar panel output Note:

100 watt panels output 5.8 amps max in June -August ( sun high in sky). In October - March output drops to around 60% - about 3.5 amps(sun low in the sky). Two solar panels in winter will output 6-7 amps an hour enough to run your Dometic and charge the battery. Camping off the grid in January will be a challenge though as running the furnace blower will have you using more amperage than the panels are producing.

Winter output drop off because roof mounted panels can't be tilted towards the sun. We carry a 60 watt portable panel in winter just in case. So far we haven't needed it (because our Engle fridge only draws 1.5 amps average per hour)

Edited by RC Pilot Jim, 27 March 2015 - 03:43 PM.

Jim

Retired from truck camping June 2021

Our Basic Eagle/Fleet Shell Build

#16 super doody

super doody

• Members
  • 638 posts

Posted 27 March 2015 - 04:21 PM

Call FWC this morning and  add the "Aux" battery system with two batteries, Sure Power, their 20 amp solar controller includes the battery monitor I think ( you will need to confirm that). You have about a month before pickup so it is probably still in the building stage. Have FWC connect the solar wiring which will include the fuses between the controller and batteries....One less thing you have to do. (Will give you more time with your daughter)

Each battery  produces maximum 9 hours running time(12- 14 hours darkness)  at the Dometic amp draw of 4.5 (or more) amps per hour. Adding the furnace blower, fan, lights (couple hours at night) pushes average up to 5.5-6 amps per hour (decreases running time to 7 hours per night)

My recommendation - Buy two batteries.

When you add the solar go with 2ea 100 watt lightweight  bendable solar panels on the roof. 

Solar panel output Note:

100 watt panels output 5.8 amps max in June -August ( sun high in sky). In October - March output drops to around 60% - about 3.5 amps(sun low in the sky). Two solar panels in winter will output 6-7 amps an hour enough to run your Dometic and charge the battery. Camping off the grid in January will be a challenge though as running the furnace blower will have you using more amperage than the panels are producing.

Winter output drop off because roof mounted panels can't be tilted towards the sun. We carry a 60 watt portable panel in winter just in case. So far we haven't needed it (because our Engle fridge only draws 1.5 amps average per hour)

Thanks Jim. I added another battery. I didn't ask about the solar controller but I doubt its part of the electrical panel.Solar panels are extremely economical right now. Based on my preliminary research I can probably added a controller and solar panel for around 300$  

#17 RC Pilot Jim

RC Pilot Jim

• Members
  • 1,544 posts

Posted 27 March 2015 - 04:45 PM

Great Jim. By the way your signature says you have a 2003 Tacoma. Did you buy another Eagle? 

Jim

#18 super doody

super doody

• Members
  • 638 posts

Posted 27 March 2015 - 04:46 PM

Maybe goes without saying, but remember to fill the propane tanks. I didn't and we found ourselves camped in the Bighorn Mountains our first night with snow but no heat. Congrats on the new camper.

Our previous camper was a shell so I never worried about propane tank. Thanks for the reminder.

#19 super doody

super doody

• Members
  • 638 posts

Posted 27 March 2015 - 04:48 PM

Great Jim. By the way your signature says you have a 2003 Tacoma. Did you buy another Eagle? 

Hey Jim,

I need to change my signature. I use to have Tacoma and Eagle shell. Here are some pictures of the old setup and new to my truck.:

http://www.wanderthe...shell/?p=115594

#20 RC Pilot Jim

RC Pilot Jim

• Members
  • 1,544 posts

Posted 27 March 2015 - 09:06 PM

Your daughter is cute. The Hawk will give you a lot more room for the three of you.

Jim

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users