• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#11 bfh4n

bfh4n

• Members
  • 235 posts
  • LocationLovingston, Virginia

Posted 30 March 2015 - 10:49 PM

Geico added mine to my policy for about $200 per year, including total loss replacement. $500 deductible.

- Bernard

2014 silver Fleet front-dinette

2007 Tacoma Access Cab 4WD TRD V6 6-speed

#12 MarkBC

MarkBC

The Weatherman

• Site Team
  • 6,602 posts
  • LocationBend, Oregon

Posted 31 March 2015 - 01:00 AM

Here's a previous thread on insurance for camper.

Thanksgiving 1999 I rolled my 1999 F250 with a 1999 Phoenix camper on it.  Both were only a few months old and both were totaled.

State Farm bought me a new truck but "sorry -- not covered" for the camper.

(Though I regret the financial loss I don't regret the loss of the Phoenix itself -- it was a bad experience from the day I bought it.  <_<   But that was 15 years ago...)

When I got my current camper I made sure that the camper was covered (still with State Farm)...but I don't remember/know if I'm paying extra for it or not.  Yes, I should know...  :rolleyes:

I know that the Mexican insurance I got for my Baja trip required an additional premium for coverage of damage to the camper.

FWC Hawk (2005) on a Ford F250 Supercab, 6.8L V10 gas (2000)

#13 trgphoto

trgphoto

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • LocationJackson, WY

Posted 31 March 2015 - 03:36 PM

I have auto insurance with Progressive.  I called them and told them about my camper and they added it to the policy for about $100/6mos.  It was based on the value of the camper.  Pretty easy and now I have piece of mind.

#14 RicoV

RicoV

• Members
  • 289 posts
  • LocationVail, AZ

Posted 31 March 2015 - 06:07 PM

It's roughly $150 a year for State Farm coverage on our 2011 Grandby shell here in So. AZ.  When we first asked SF about it in 2011, the rep in the local office looked at our rig and said if the Grandby was mounted on the truck full-time we wouldn't need additional coverage beyond that of the truck itself.  After some time passed I became uncomfortable with that interpretation since I couldn't find anything in writing to back it up.  So I contacted the local SF agent and asked for her to send us documentation regarding coverage for our camper, and a few days later received a bill noting the line-item addition of the camper and a new charge associated with that coverage.  My lesson: if something seems to good to be true, it's probably worth the time to verify it, and get it in writing. In the end, I now have it in writing, it costs some $$, and it seems the initial guidance we received from SF was in error.

RicoV
2011 FWC Grandby Shell on a 2011 Nissan Titan King Cab SV 4WD

#15 BrianG

BrianG

• Members
  • 196 posts
  • LocationNorthern Nevada

Posted 31 March 2015 - 07:10 PM

Concerning USAA, I just talked to them, as noted the camper is insured on or off the truck at no additional cost. One caveat, you must call USAA and have it noted/added to the policy. 

2018 Ram 3500 Mega Cab 4x4 Diesel, 2015 Hawk Silver Spur Exterior, Front Dinette

#16 100acrehuphalump

100acrehuphalump

• Members
  • 540 posts
  • LocationIn a pool of clear crystalline water. Appalachia

Posted 02 April 2015 - 01:41 AM

I called State Farm today. I have full coverage already, but it'll cost me an additional $213.00 per 6 months. Why so much I wonder?
2012 F150 XL V8, 4X4, S-Cab, Warn VL 10,000, Bull Bar, E Rated Cooper Discoverer AT/3, Rigid Industries Dually Spots
2015 FWC Hawk
M416 Expedition Trailer
Bayleaf Woof!

#17 Stan@FourWheel

Stan@FourWheel

• Members
  • 2,376 posts
  • LocationWoodland, CA

Posted 02 April 2015 - 03:44 PM

Not all loan officers or insurance agents always understand what a truck camper, or a pop-up truck camper are. Some of them get easily confused and either think it is some sort of pull behind tent trailer or a simple fiberglass camper shell. I have talked to a few customers over the years that thought (or assumed) that their camper was automatically covered under the insurance policy but found out the hard way when it wasn't covered at the time of an accident. If you had a used beat up camper worth a couple thousand dollars, maybe not such a big deal. But if you have a newer truck camper valued around $20,000, I don't know why the insurance company would cover the camper on your policy for free? I have always added my truck campers to my AAA Auto policy. This couple went to Baja around 2008 with a really nice truck & relatively new FWC at the time. They got Mexican Insurance on the truck, but not the camper. That was probably a $15,000 lesson for them to learn the hard way not having coverage on the camper. Just food for thought.

Attached Thumbnails

• popped popup.jpg

Stan Kennedy --- Four Wheel Pop-up Campers
1400 Churchill Downs Avenue, Suite A

Woodland, CA 95776
(800) 242-1442 or (530) 666-1442
www.fourwh.com  ---  e-mail = stan@fourwh.com

#18 MarkBC

MarkBC

The Weatherman

• Site Team
  • 6,602 posts
  • LocationBend, Oregon

Posted 02 April 2015 - 04:09 PM

As I said above, I made a point of getting my current camper covered by State Farm...but as I recall the local agent seemed a little confused by my request -- as if it wasn't a common thing or not one they had experience doing.  Makes me think I should check again to see just what the status of my camper coverage is.

On the other hand, when I got insurance for my trip to Baja, using Discover Baja as the agent for the Mexican insurance, their online purchase options explicitly listed "cabover campers and camper shells" (as well as towed boats and towed trailers) as among the insurable add-ons (for additional premium) in addition to the primary vehicle.  So it was very clear what the policy covered.

FWC Hawk (2005) on a Ford F250 Supercab, 6.8L V10 gas (2000)

#19 4llamas

4llamas

• Members
  • 321 posts
  • LocationSW Willamette Valley, Oregon

Posted 02 April 2015 - 08:04 PM

It cost me $25 to insure the 2009 Hawk for a year through Hartford (AARP).  $500 deductible, $15,000 replacement value.  Your mileage may vary.  Signed up yesterday.

Edited by 4llamas, 02 April 2015 - 08:05 PM.

#20 100acrehuphalump

100acrehuphalump

• Members
  • 540 posts
  • LocationIn a pool of clear crystalline water. Appalachia

Posted 03 April 2015 - 02:14 AM

Not all loan officers or insurance agents always understand what a truck camper, or a pop-up truck camper are. Some of them get easily confused and either think it is some sort of pull behind tent trailer or a simple fiberglass camper shell. I have talked to a few customers over the years that thought (or assumed) that their camper was automatically covered under the insurance policy but found out the hard way when it wasn't covered at the time of an accident. If you had a used beat up camper worth a couple thousand dollars, maybe not such a big deal. But if you have a newer truck camper valued around $20,000, I don't know why the insurance company would cover the camper on your policy for free? I have always added my truck campers to my AAA Auto policy. This couple went to Baja around 2008 with a really nice truck & relatively new FWC at the time. They got Mexican Insurance on the truck, but not the camper. That was probably a $15,000 lesson for them to learn the hard way not having coverage on the camper. Just food for thought.

Thanks for that Stan, I'm definitely gonna get my camper insured!
2012 F150 XL V8, 4X4, S-Cab, Warn VL 10,000, Bull Bar, E Rated Cooper Discoverer AT/3, Rigid Industries Dually Spots
2015 FWC Hawk
M416 Expedition Trailer
Bayleaf Woof!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users