Photo
- - - - -

Carrying a motorcycle on the back of the truck with a FWC, the numbers.

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#11 Happyjax

Happyjax

• Members
  • 1,444 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 08 October 2015 - 03:07 PM

I have been looking at doing this when I get my rig. I have seen a swing out motorcycle carrier that stays closer to the bed of the truck and swings so you can get in. Don't know how well it works but looked cool. I'm not sure where I saw it but will try to find the site :)

2018 Ford F-250. Customized Bundutec Sable :)

#12 jackattack

jackattack

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts
  • LocationWenatchee, WA

Posted 08 October 2015 - 05:55 PM

Why not a small inexpensive trailer? Certainly worth the cost of reducing the wear and risk of damage to your truck and camper.

Alaskan 8.5'CO | F250

#13 billharr

billharr

• Members
  • 2,824 posts
  • LocationStockton CA

Posted 08 October 2015 - 06:08 PM

Why not a small inexpensive trailer? Certainly worth the cost of reducing the wear and risk of damage to your truck and camper.

+1  I have seen bikes on the hitch carriers really moving around. That is a lot of weight on a long 2" sq tube. You can pick up a small single rail trailer for not much more than a hitch mount. 

#14 Advmoto18

Advmoto18

• Members
  • 1,083 posts
  • LocationCoastal Low Country, SC

Posted 08 October 2015 - 07:57 PM

A couple of issues regarding the motorcycle come to mind and I've been toteing motorcycles for the better part of 47 years.

The primary issue I have with idahoron's setup is the distance the ceter of mass is located from the aft end of the receiver.

I do not know Toyota's receiver weight numbers, but, the receiver's max tongue weight must be reduced by 1/3 for every 12" the center of mass is located aft of the end of the receiver.  And that weight includes the motorcycle and the carrier.

While it may be camera optics poviding a bit of an illusion, it does appear the carrier has some downward deflection in the 4th photograph.

7300# is WAY over GVWR.  You would need some serious suspension upgrades to carry that load.  Further, what will that weight do to the frame during torrsional twisiting?

Another number to consider is GCVW.  While this number is primarily for towing a conventional trailer, the number will give you an idea of the capability of the braking system.  Exceed this number and all bets are off stopping your truck in a predictable distance.

While "over wieght" police aren't lurking behind billboards waiting for you to come along...be involved in an accident with the weights posted above will likely cause you problems.  Read the fine print of your auto insurance policy.  I'd bet dollars to donuts there is an indeminity clause in your policy releasing your carrier if you fail to operate the vehicle wihtin manufacturer's specifications.  In other words, you could be driving without and insurance safety net.

South Carolina Low Country.  

#15 idahoron

idahoron

• Members
  • 646 posts
  • LocationIdaho

Posted 08 October 2015 - 08:29 PM

I have a trailer that I us almost all the time for ATV's and pontoon boats. So putting it on a trailer is what I would most likely do. This "test" was to document what the weights would be and how far back it would need to go to make it "work".

Like I said before this is not likely something I would do but since I had all the components I would just document it for guys that were thinking about doing this. 

I would also say that 7300 pounds is 679 pounds over weight for the truck. 

#16 Advmoto18

Advmoto18

• Members
  • 1,083 posts

Posted 08 October 2015 - 10:08 PM

What is the GVWR posted on the driver's door jam?

My neighbor's 2004 Access Cab Tundra is placarded at 6200#.  I would expect your truck to weigh more since it is the crew cab thereby reducing payload.

His reciever's tongue weight is listed as 500#.  A center of mass 12" aft of the receiver would limit tongue wieght to 330#.  Your motorcycle and a VersaHaul with ramp is 362# and the center of mass is slightly more than 12" aft of the end of the receiver.

Using my neighbor's placard (likely conservative for your truck), I have your "ready for camping weight" 500# over placarded weight.  Add in the motorcycle and VersaHaul (280#/82#), I have you 862# over placard weight of 6200#.  Nearly 14% over the placard weight of an access cab.

While it is nice to weigh your truck and know the numbers, be mindful that the placard is controlling unless you have your operating weights certified (not the same as having your truck weighed on "certified" scales).  However, manufacturer specifications trump all for judication.

IMHO, use the trailer!

Edited by Advmoto18, 08 October 2015 - 10:26 PM.

#17 Ace!

Ace!

• Gone Traveling
  • 530 posts
  • LocationSo. Oregon

Posted 08 October 2015 - 10:32 PM

I'm not trying to be argumentative, but want to know if anyone has read policy language that releases a carrier from paying a liability claim for a vehicle out of spec.  If so, can you please post the language and policy information (carrier, policy booklet date, etc.).  I have worked for the largest insurer of motorcycles and two of the largest insurers of personal vehicles (cars, trucks) and have never seen that language in any of the policies I've had access to, including competing companies when dealing with claim settlements.  Again, I'm not trying to argue with anyone, I just want to see the language (more of a curiosity for me).  I'm not talking about language about the use of the vehicle, not language about using the vehicle for racing or closed course competition.

Another piece of this, liability stems from negligence.  It doesn't absolve a company from paying, in fact, you have to be (should be) negligent for your insurance to pay a liability claim.

Edited by Ace!, 08 October 2015 - 11:11 PM.

#18 Advmoto18

Advmoto18

• Members
  • 1,083 posts

Posted 08 October 2015 - 11:00 PM

No worries on calling me out Ace!

Specifically stated in my USAA policy. 

When I added my FWC Hawk to my truck policy, USAA wanted to know the camper's placard weight.  The underwriter ran the numbers for my truck.  Once he was satisfied I was operating within Ford's specifications, they issued the policy.  He also stated the need to remain within payload limits for the policy to remain in effect and brought the language in my policy to my attention.

Edited...

Liability for loss of other's property and medical payments is covered.  But any loss to my property is expressly denied if operating outside manufacturer design specifications.  Sorry for the confusion.

Edited by Advmoto18, 08 October 2015 - 11:03 PM.

#19 Ace!

Ace!

• Gone Traveling
  • 530 posts
  • LocationSo. Oregon

Posted 08 October 2015 - 11:14 PM

Thanks.  It is very difficult for an insurance carrier to get out of paying a liability claim, since they have the contract with the insured (1st party), not the 3rd party, so that makes sense to me.

Edited by Ace!, 08 October 2015 - 11:16 PM.

#20 Taku

Taku

Buffalo Rockface

• Members
  • 757 posts

Posted 09 October 2015 - 01:24 AM

A friend in Salt Lake welded up a hitch rack that has two different hard points to the hitch frame as well as tie points going up to the camper brackets. He has hauled a KTM 650 many miles across the west with no problems. Runs airbags and a Palamino on a 3/4 ton. If I get a chance will take some photos. i am building a similar setup this winter.

2005 Tundra  2013 Ocelot    "Ridiculously comfortable"

2021 Tundra 2022 Cougar Shell Built Out  "Even more ridiculously comfortable"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users