Photo
- - - - -

Carrying a motorcycle on the back of the truck with a FWC, the numbers.

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#21 idahoron

idahoron

• Members
  • 646 posts
  • LocationIdaho

Posted 09 October 2015 - 01:07 PM

What is the GVWR posted on the driver's door jam?

My neighbor's 2004 Access Cab Tundra is placarded at 6200#.  I would expect your truck to weigh more since it is the crew cab thereby reducing payload.

His reciever's tongue weight is listed as 500#.  A center of mass 12" aft of the receiver would limit tongue wieght to 330#.  Your motorcycle and a VersaHaul with ramp is 362# and the center of mass is slightly more than 12" aft of the end of the receiver.

Using my neighbor's placard (likely conservative for your truck), I have your "ready for camping weight" 500# over placarded weight.  Add in the motorcycle and VersaHaul (280#/82#), I have you 862# over placard weight of 6200#.  Nearly 14% over the placard weight of an access cab.

While it is nice to weigh your truck and know the numbers, be mindful that the placard is controlling unless you have your operating weights certified (not the same as having your truck weighed on "certified" scales).  However, manufacturer specifications trump all for judication.

IMHO, use the trailer!

My sticker in my door says load of 1421 pounds. The truck empty weighs 5200 pounds.  That means my max is 6621. I have a weight on the truck with the camper and it ready for a weekend of 6700 pounds.  That means I am 79 pounds over weight before I get in. I have D rated tires and Firestone air bags. The Service manager for Toyota told me that the rating for my truck was with P rated tires. Just that alone increases the amount that the truck is rated for but is not listed. He said I was fine with the truck and camper. I haven't heard back from him about the bike. 

Please read my post that said I am doing this test for guys that want to know the numbers. I HAVE A TRAILER!!!!

Elkhunt4_zps7e10a0b9.jpg

#22 idahoron

idahoron

• Members
  • 646 posts
  • LocationIdaho

Posted 09 October 2015 - 01:11 PM

I'm not trying to be argumentative, but want to know if anyone has read policy language that releases a carrier from paying a liability claim for a vehicle out of spec.  If so, can you please post the language and policy information (carrier, policy booklet date, etc.).  I have worked for the largest insurer of motorcycles and two of the largest insurers of personal vehicles (cars, trucks) and have never seen that language in any of the policies I've had access to, including competing companies when dealing with claim settlements.  Again, I'm not trying to argue with anyone, I just want to see the language (more of a curiosity for me).  I'm not talking about language about the use of the vehicle, not language about using the vehicle for racing or closed course competition.

Another piece of this, liability stems from negligence.  It doesn't absolve a company from paying, in fact, you have to be (should be) negligent for your insurance to pay a liability claim.

Thank you for the insight into the Insurance Liability.  When I insured my camper I called them up and told them what it was on and what the camper was. They didn't want to know anything but when the check would be there. I don't have any language in my policy that says anything about exceeding the weight limit of a vehicle. Again thanks for the input and knowledge on the subject. 

#23 idahoron

idahoron

• Members
  • 646 posts
  • LocationIdaho

Posted 09 October 2015 - 01:15 PM

I got a message from the service department manager this morning. He said "With the airbag suspension you will be ok, the axle is plenty heavy, great looking set up by the way"

#24 Taku

Taku

Buffalo Rockface

• Members
  • 757 posts

Posted 10 October 2015 - 03:18 AM

Ron; lot's of old Honda 90's out there for sale!!!

2005 Tundra  2013 Ocelot    "Ridiculously comfortable"

2021 Tundra 2022 Cougar Shell Built Out  "Even more ridiculously comfortable"

#25 Advmoto18

Advmoto18

• Members
  • 1,083 posts
  • LocationCoastal Low Country, SC

Posted 10 October 2015 - 11:43 AM

I read you had the trailer.  Why I opined "use the trailer". 

I know this was an experiment and glad to hear you're happy with the numbers. 

Several numbers you can't overlook regardless of mods to the truck....GCVW, and the Tundra's 500# tongue weight and 1/3 weight reduction for every 12" aft the center of mass is located.  This is a structural number and nothing other than upgrading the class of receiver will increase this number.  Unfortunately, I do not see a Class IV or V hitch avaialble for the '05 Tundra on etrailer.com.  The Class V is available for a 2015 Tundra.  This hitch offers a massive 2400# tongue weight with a weight distribution system.

South Carolina Low Country.  

#26 Happyjax

Happyjax

• Members
  • 1,444 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 10 October 2015 - 11:40 PM

I personally don't want to tow anything. That is why I am looking at a slide in verses a tow behind. Mounting a small motorcycle should not be a problem though I would expect to need a heavy duty hitch. I just want to have access to my camper (whenever I get the darn thing) without having to unload the bike and I don't much like carrying it on the front. I think that would be to distracting. I am looking at a 3/4 ton not a baby truck...lol Next year Ford 3/4 ton aluminum body. Think I'm gonna wait for it. Payload should be awesome :)

Edited by Happyjax, 10 October 2015 - 11:41 PM.

2018 Ford F-250. Customized Bundutec Sable :)

#27 Advmoto18

Advmoto18

• Members
  • 1,083 posts

Posted 11 October 2015 - 12:13 PM

I personally don't want to tow anything. That is why I am looking at a slide in verses a tow behind. Mounting a small motorcycle should not be a problem though I would expect to need a heavy duty hitch. I just want to have access to my camper (whenever I get the darn thing) without having to unload the bike and I don't much like carrying it on the front. I think that would be to distracting. I am looking at a 3/4 ton not a baby truck...lol Next year Ford 3/4 ton aluminum body. Think I'm gonna wait for it. Payload should be awesome :)

Just got the email flyer from Ford regarding the 2017s.  The new beer can technology will be in the 2017 Super Duties.  Given that most diesel Lariats are in the $60,000+ price range, it will not surprise me to see a 2017 priced above $70,000 for a Lariat!  

I would opt for the F-350 over the F-250.  More payload and conventional towing capability for about $700 more.

Edited by Advmoto18, 11 October 2015 - 12:13 PM.

#28 Happyjax

Happyjax

• Members
  • 1,444 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 11 October 2015 - 01:14 PM

I am looking for a gasifier. Diesel not my choice. I am going to look at 2016 trucks when they emerge but I do like the "beer can" concept and think it is the future of trucking. Main problem really expensive to repair but that should come down as it becomes more common. I sure hope it isn't in the $70,000 range or I'll be getting last years model...lol

2018 Ford F-250. Customized Bundutec Sable :)

#29 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,594 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 12 October 2015 - 02:30 PM

I am looking for a gasifier. Diesel not my choice. I am going to look at 2016 trucks when they emerge but I do like the "beer can" concept and think it is the future of trucking. Main problem really expensive to repair but that should come down as it becomes more common. I sure hope it isn't in the $70,000 range or I'll be getting last years model...lol

We bought a 2014 Super Duty at the end of the season last year. Deeply discounted. You might be wise to get the previous years model.

Are you zeroing in on a camper brand?

+1 on the F350

I am haunted by waters

#30 Advmoto18

Advmoto18

• Members
  • 1,083 posts

Posted 12 October 2015 - 06:43 PM

We bought a 2014 Super Duty at the end of the season last year. Deeply discounted. You might be wise to get the previous years model.

Are you zeroing in on a camper brand?

+1 on the F350

While I'm certainly not eager to drop ~$55000+ on a new, deeply discounted truck, if Ford discounts the 2016s like they did the last of the steel F-150s, I might have to buy a new 2016 at the end of the model year.

Absolutely nothing wrong with my 2003 F-250 7.3L with 95,000 miles.  I've upgraded the suspension, exhaust, air intake, wheels/tires and added a Banks chip.  But, it would be nice to have the 2016 F-350's payload, towing and fuel mileage on UL sulfur diesel fuel.  Even if I'm also buying diesel smog equipment.

Edited by Advmoto18, 12 October 2015 - 06:47 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users