#21 sunvalleylaw

sunvalleylaw

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts
  • LocationIdaho

Posted 28 November 2017 - 10:40 PM

I made my own. 2 Solar Cynergy 60 watt poly panels were cheap! I added a couple of hinges to fold them. 25' 8 gauge cable with Anderson connectors on each end for an extension. They are wired parallel into the same Anderson connector. Then plugged in to the camper parallel to the main panel before the charge controller. A little heavy but put out great power and price was under $100.

attachicon.gif006 (Small).JPG

attachicon.gif010 (Small).JPG

I would love to learn to do this.  do you have a controller on it?

#22 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,594 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 28 November 2017 - 11:30 PM

I would love to learn to do this. do you have a controller on it?

It depends. If you’re using it as additional solar on a camper that has a system, it would typically be wired from a plug on the camper wall into the existing solar controller. If you want to connect direct to any battery, then you should have a controller as part of the portable system. I suspect if you google “how to build a portable solar system” you’ll get a bunch of hits.

I am haunted by waters

#23 sunvalleylaw

sunvalleylaw

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts
  • LocationIdaho

Posted 28 November 2017 - 11:37 PM

It depends. If you’re using it as additional solar on a camper that has a system, it would typically be wired from a plug on the camper wall into the existing solar controller. If you want to connect direct to any battery, then you should have a controller as part of the portable system. I suspect if you google “how to build a portable solar system” you’ll get a bunch of hits.

This is on my older Northstar which does not have a system, and has just a converter.  So I would need to do the whole thing.

#24 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,968 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 29 November 2017 - 01:00 AM

Key bits are:

1) Where is the battery box on your Northstar?

2) Can you bring some 10g wire from the batt box to an outside wall?

3) Can you punch a hole in the outside wall and mount a weather proof plug?

4) Will you ever have solar on the roof?

5) If no, then buy/make a portable "suitcase" with a built in controller

If yes, then the controller should be as close to the batteries as possible

Ask more questions... this has been done before here!

#25 Durango1

Durango1

• Members
  • 532 posts

Posted 29 November 2017 - 03:21 AM

OK, Vic, since you're one of the resident solar experts here I just (gulp) ordered a new Grandby flatbed yesterday from Denny! And I've finally recognized I'll likely continue a solar/electrical dummy forever. So I ordered it with FWC's standard 160 watt roof system.

But I also have the Renogy suitcase 100 watt portable system. Up till now I've just used the included clamps to attach it to the batteries. Can I get rid of the controller on the suitcase (which I've heard is pretty primitive) and plug it into the solar plug on the back wall of the camper and FWC's controller handle the extra input?

Thanks in advance and this isn't urgent since I won't have the camper/ truck and flatbed till next March!

Steve

#26 sunvalleylaw

sunvalleylaw

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts
  • LocationIdaho

Posted 29 November 2017 - 03:50 AM

Vic said:

Key bits are:

1) Where is the battery box on your Northstar?

2) Can you bring some 10g wire from the batt box to an outside wall?

3) Can you punch a hole in the outside wall and mount a weather proof plug?

4) Will you ever have solar on the roof?

5) If no, then buy/make a portable "suitcase" with a built in controller

If yes, then the controller should be as close to the batteries as possible

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1) in the back near the back door, lower right in pic.

(see lower right door, below in pic)

56ce2c8c1d19baefcdb56ad5550257d8.jpg

2 and 3) I suppose I could but I don't really want to.  

4) probably not.  Would rather be able to place the unit out in the sun and not be limited by where we are parked/set up.

So, thinking making or buying a portable suitcase will be the best idea, with included controller.  Right now, the camper has LED lights, but most everything else runs on the propane. (Heater, fridge, water heater.) 

Other than charging phones, flashlights, etc.  Would like to consider a small electric space heater but not sure if that is practical.  I like the idea of no propane on at night. But I guess I would need to power the fridge.  Better look at some of those spread sheets and other info I saw listed in some of the stickies.

Was thinking 120 was the minimum probably.  Yes?  I think I could build that for not too much.  I have a science teacher friend who might help.  Also, I saw something about mono solar cells rather than poly.  I am thinking a folding board on legs, rather than the truly flexy stuff, so hoping I can get the good cells if I build it myself.  

Do you have a resource for looking into building?  

Also, was thinking maybe I should find a way to put a second battery in?  Or is it good enough just to keep topping off the normal 12v deep cycle battery?  As you know, I am in Idaho and have good sun most of the time.

Edited by sunvalleylaw, 29 November 2017 - 04:11 AM.

#27 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,594 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 29 November 2017 - 04:05 AM

Consider putting the plug in the battery box door. 

I am haunted by waters

#28 sunvalleylaw

sunvalleylaw

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts
  • LocationIdaho

Posted 29 November 2017 - 04:17 AM

Consider putting the plug in the battery box door. 

Ok, dumb question, and then plug in the portable/foldable panel there?  Or is that more toward installing roof top?

#29 sunvalleylaw

sunvalleylaw

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts
  • LocationIdaho

Posted 29 November 2017 - 04:19 AM

And ok, one more.  How much does a guy save building on his own?  Enough to make it worth it? And are special tools needed?  Or should a guy just buy a re-furbed eco-worthy like this one?  https://www.ebay.com...tVdt2LdVJ_REtCw

#30 sunvalleylaw

sunvalleylaw

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts
  • LocationIdaho

Posted 29 November 2017 - 05:04 AM

And ok, one more.  How much does a guy save building on his own?  Enough to make it worth it? And are special tools needed?  Or should a guy just buy a re-furbed eco-worthy like this one?  https://www.ebay.com...tVdt2LdVJ_REtCw

Here is a link to a monocrystralline model for $215.  https://www.ebay.com...N8AAOSwSlBYtRyT

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users