• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 tree

tree

• Members
  • 151 posts
  • Locationso cal

Posted 05 April 2016 - 10:34 PM

had my eye on a 2015 FWC hawk shell that was a show demo. it sold before I culd get my deposit. been looking at FWC hawks for 2 years. getting very close at the chance to afford/make a camper purchase. but now the wait is 16 weeks at FWC. the used ones last 2 to 3 days tops on craigslist. and tha add any decent options sure make the price jump. anyways I found a used 2012 phoenix pop up local to me. was 14k, now its 10K dude said 9500 out the door is lowest. I hear that phoenix designed/owned FWC before? then sold the name. now tom tom FWC. great guy by the way. this phoenix has some nice options, side awning, fridge, fiberglass, fridge, ac, microwave, solar, side dinette ect. id rather have a heater, and not need a generator. looks like it had a roof leak in the corner. I cant find info on this rig. a model, build cost, prices ect? cari from phoenix did offer a build. but no pricing yet. should I jump on this unit? I can stand up in the hawk. I am 6 foot 6, and have agmc crewcab 6.5 bed. any ideas?

#2 Durango1

Durango1

• Members
  • 532 posts

Posted 05 April 2016 - 11:04 PM

You will find a wild variety of opinions on Phoenix campers. If ya want to read them all check out this Expo thread HERE. (You might as well read it. Everyone else already has with over 400 posts and 118,000 views!) :)

I feel your pain on the used FWC availability conundrum. That is why we eventually went ahead and bought a new FWC.

And yes, a common problem with the Phoenix campers has been leaking roofs. Even though I am "handy" with tools (I'm currently re-doing the inside of a brand new Hawk Flat Bed camper and yes, I know that is stupid.) I eventually got cold feet on buying from Phoenix and went with FWC.

I love a good drama on TV. But I just don't want drama 50 miles from the closest blacktop and my two different FWC hawks have been bombproof. (And they haven't leaked a drop.)

#3 tree

tree

• Members
  • 151 posts
  • Locationso cal

Posted 06 April 2016 - 02:16 PM

You will find a wild variety of opinions on Phoenix campers. If ya want to read them all check out this Expo thread HERE. (You might as well read it. Everyone else already has with over 400 posts and 118,000 views!) :)

I feel your pain on the used FWC availability conundrum. That is why we eventually went ahead and bought a new FWC.

And yes, a common problem with the Phoenix campers has been leaking roofs. Even though I am "handy" with tools (I'm currently re-doing the inside of a brand new Hawk Flat Bed camper and yes, I know that is stupid.) I eventually got cold feet on buying from Phoenix and went with FWC.

I love a good drama on TV. But I just don't want drama 50 miles from the closest blacktop and my two different FWC hawks have been bombproof. (And they haven't leaked a drop.)

im thinking new hawk. worth the wait for sure. maybe I can rent while I wait. we actually have a local FWC dealer in town. I have been there several times. they call me their stalker. LOL thanks for the info. the phoenix seemed rough for 10K

#4 Durango1

Durango1

• Members
  • 532 posts

Posted 06 April 2016 - 02:24 PM

im thinking new hawk. worth the wait for sure. maybe I can rent while I wait. we actually have a local FWC dealer in town. I have been there several times. they call me their stalker. LOL thanks for the info. the phoenix seemed rough for 10K

Smart. Meanwhile you can be tricking out your truck. And if you tent camp this summer you will super appreciate your new Hawk!

Be sure to get this group's suggestions on what options to order on your Hawk. (I even have a "few thoughts"!) :)

#5 tree

tree

• Members
  • 151 posts
  • Locationso cal

Posted 06 April 2016 - 02:37 PM

nice. well the hawk demo I almost bought was a silver spur shell, had heater, stove, side dinette. so if I start fresh, im thinking heater, awning, ac option??? LED exterior lighting (flood lights) I pull a trailer with a utv on it. yes tent camping sucks. I have a bad back. last season I slept in my crewcab with a twin air mattress. and im 6 foot 7, LOL

#6 tree

tree

• Members
  • 151 posts
  • Locationso cal

Posted 06 April 2016 - 03:47 PM

holy crap I just read post on that 2012 phoenix.  leak city ehh?  same with the one I found.  leak/mold?? water damage.

#7 tree

tree

• Members
  • 151 posts
  • Locationso cal

Posted 06 April 2016 - 03:49 PM

00303 599HeoNc35j 600x450

this concerns me.  look in left corner.  even seen silicon on roof where a leak was sealed?  owner says canvas is newish.  I don't see that it could be new

#8 tree

tree

• Members
  • 151 posts
  • Locationso cal

Posted 06 April 2016 - 04:32 PM

00H0H dIF5CEXk9R9 600x450
00h0h ew7to8Kz223 600x450
00J0J WXM4kVNdtl 600x450
00L0L e0efgwbJrAf 600x450
00q0q bDg3jf8Ezvs 600x450
00v0v cFRr2W9pbdD 600x450
00Z0Z lzqSSkOUJTW 600x450

#9 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,023 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 06 April 2016 - 10:36 PM

I'm sure the errors could be rectified if you were so inclined. 

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#10 DanoT

DanoT

• Members
  • 278 posts
  • LocationSun Peaks, B.C.

Posted 07 April 2016 - 05:33 AM

I have a 2011 8.5 ft Phoenix pop-up with arctic package (2 layers of thinsulate knock off sandwiched between 2 layers of fabric) with no roof leaks. Purchased new and custom built with lots of extra insulation (mostly 2" polystyrene everywhere), 2 20lb propane tanks, Honda generator, 16k btu furnace with a duct into the shower stall. I mostly use it to stay in ski area parking lots.

I don't think that the fit and finish is equal to FWC but I did get a fully custom camper for about $1000-$1200 more than a Grandby.

1991 Dodge CTD, owned since new. 2011 Coyote RV Phoenix pop-up camper, custom made for the Canadian winter.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users