15 replies to this topic

#11 ntsqd

ntsqd

Custom User Title

• Members
  • 2,881 posts
  • LocationNorth So.CA

Posted 08 April 2016 - 01:13 PM

We own an age indeterminate Phoenix. The sticker with all of that info has faded past legibility. It has had it's issues, but they've all been surmountable. Currently weighing whether to go 2 way fridge and dump the ineffective 3way (yes, I've cleaned the burner). Ours has some insulation between the inner and outer fabric skins of the soft top. I've no idea if that is normal or not.

When I called Phoenix they weren't very interested in helping me. When I talked to them at Expo '14 they were willing to talk to me, but weren't much help.

Faced with building one ourselves vs. buying a Phoenix the decision was easy.

So far the only roof leaks have been from tired vent sealant and the stupid thru-bolted hard mount bolts that I thought I could actually employ in holding something on the roof. I know better now, those will be replaced with sex bolts (to plug the holes) and sealed with 3M 5200.

Thom

Where does that road go?

#12 DanoT

DanoT

• Members
  • 278 posts
  • LocationSun Peaks, B.C.

Posted 08 April 2016 - 03:26 PM

My Phoenix was built using a cheap adhesive/sealant and some of the interior plastic molding needed to be re-glued. The step hand rail was bolted into the siding and pulled out. Easy fix was to just bolt it through the wall.

I like the sturdy roof raising mechanism but it is not designed to accept lifter shocks so mounting heavy solar panels on the roof probably won't work. The design does make it easy to get the snow off the raised roof with a snow rake, once the roof is lowered on one side.

1991 Dodge CTD, owned since new. 2011 Coyote RV Phoenix pop-up camper, custom made for the Canadian winter.

#13 tree

tree

• Members
  • 151 posts
  • Locationso cal

Posted 08 April 2016 - 10:21 PM

We own an age indeterminate Phoenix. The sticker with all of that info has faded past legibility. It has had it's issues, but they've all been surmountable. Currently weighing whether to go 2 way fridge and dump the ineffective 3way (yes, I've cleaned the burner). Ours has some insulation between the inner and outer fabric skins of the soft top. I've no idea if that is normal or not.

When I called Phoenix they weren't very interested in helping me. When I talked to them at Expo '14 they were willing to talk to me, but weren't much help.

Faced with building one ourselves vs. buying a Phoenix the decision was easy.

So far the only roof leaks have been from tired vent sealant and the stupid thru-bolted hard mount bolts that I thought I could actually employ in holding something on the roof. I know better now, those will be replaced with sex bolts (to plug the holes) and sealed with 3M 5200.

same here,  I tried to get interior height info, but they were more interested in starting a build for me.  LOL   when I have cash in hand I will weigh if this unit is still available vs. how many weeks the wait is for the FWC hawk.

#14 tree

tree

• Members
  • 151 posts
  • Locationso cal

Posted 11 April 2016 - 04:04 PM

found more info on the phoenix.  seems to be a pulse model.  looks like im still going with a new hawk time and money permitting.

#15 Durango1

Durango1

• Members
  • 532 posts

Posted 12 April 2016 - 05:19 AM

...looks like im still going with a new hawk time and money permitting.

Smart.

#16 tree

tree

• Members
  • 151 posts
  • Locationso cal

Posted 18 April 2016 - 07:09 PM

yep.  the phoenix sold, even with its leaks and appliance issues.  so I ordered a hawk shell with some options.  now onto the 16 week wait.  LOL   did see 3 hawks last week on craigslist,  2 sold by the weekend.  only 1 left but its too short.  its the kestrel model.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users