• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 97grandby

97grandby

• Members
  • 264 posts

Posted 06 April 2016 - 03:49 AM

Hi all,

I currently own my 2nd truck camper and both have been four wheel campers. I considering buying a hallmark for my 3rd camper and don't know what to look for or what tips you could pass along to a rookie.

My budget is somewhat set in the 10-15k range so that will put me at least a 5-10 year old camper I'm sure. I have a Ford F-250 with overload springs and the camper special package so I think I'm fine with any 8ft or larger camper. I know that there is a rubber roof on older models and they require some upkeep. Any other tips or tricks that are particular to hallmark? Thanks again for your time and help.

1990 Ford F-250
1997 fwc grandby

"Overkill is under rated" 

my Grandby upgrades--http://www.wanderthe...-to-me-grandby/

http://www.truckcamp...g-family-earth/

#2 smlobx

smlobx

Lost again

• Members
  • 1,529 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 06 April 2016 - 11:10 AM

The potentially biggest issue is the roof like you mentioned. I understand that they can replace the roof with their newer one piece roof if you wanted to upgrade.
Good luck with your search!

Eddie
KO4CPL

Travel light. Travel far. Travel safe.

#3 isbram

isbram

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 06 April 2016 - 02:30 PM

I would defiantly try to get one with the newer one piece roof. That may put you over the top of your budget but should save you from any roof problems; it seems that as the prices of the new Hallmark’s have risen the used prices have also.
I never had any water leakage problems on either of my Cuchara’s, in fact I really haven’t had any problems with them at all.
The response to my advertisement when I sold my last Hallmark on Craig’s list was unreal. I had many calls from buyers within the first hour, and several people looking at it within the next two.
I sold it for full price that day and the buyer had cash, many of the callers said they had been looking for a clean used Hallmark for some time. I guess my advice would be to be prepared to purchase and don’t hesitate investigate immediately when what your looking for comes on the market.

Edited by isbram, 06 April 2016 - 11:11 PM.

1999 Dodge Ram 2500
2011 Hallmark Cuchara XL

#4 cftransplant

cftransplant

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 12 April 2016 - 11:57 PM

I had a four wheeler (2000 Keystone), now have a Guanella for an 8 foot bed.  My Hallmark has the rubber roof (older 2002 model), and is in very good condition.  It is very nice inside with more room, at slightly higher weight.  Nice to look outside when your in rain at a table with large window, also warmer inside.  Much less sweating from the fabric walls, they are insulated.  Older rubber roofs, look for leaks if they were stored outside in the rain and snow, and the owner did not do the required yearly caulking.  Mine was stored inside, never recaulked, and no leaks.   I will check the caulking yearly, it is stored in a barn out of the weather for winter with no sun on the caulking.

You can not carry weight on the older rubber roofs.  To caulk the roof is not difficult, takes a couple of hours the first time and cost under $10.  To replace to the much better new roof is around 5K off season, trip to Denver area.  The new roof would include new fabric.  I would also do the electric or new manual crank up system at the time of the roof upgrade, you could store major weight on the roof and lift it up without an issue (watch the video with an ATV on the roof, with a person, being lifted up).

I bought mine to see what I thought of the product, pulled the side jacks for weight issues and am very happy with the product.  If I do not buy a newer model, I will replace the roof in a year or so for the weight of kayaks, etc. up on the roof.  Depends on what you want.  I would like to have a new one, highly modified with items left out to reduce wt. and improve utilization the way we camp and use the equipment.  The new campers are likely close to state of the art for under a custom one off price.  If you want more info., send me a number and I will give you a call.  I drove from spudville to Denver area, bought mine used, went to the factory 2 times.  They are very busy and were helpful.  Four wheeler was less than helpful when I called on a used camper for some info.

Putting up the roof and breaking it down is a joy, my wife can do it without issues, and the loss of the half assed bar holding up the roof is obvious.  Headroom is slightly less than the 4 wheeler (24 vs 27).  The exterior was easier to clean, the new ones even better.  New ones require taking the camper off to access the batteries, older ones are easy from the side with a slide out for the two batteries.

Edited by cftransplant, 12 April 2016 - 11:59 PM.

#5 97grandby

97grandby

• Members
  • 264 posts

Posted 18 April 2016 - 04:00 AM

I had a four wheeler (2000 Keystone), now have a Guanella for an 8 foot bed. My Hallmark has the rubber roof (older 2002 model), and is in very good condition. It is very nice inside with more room, at slightly higher weight. Nice to look outside when your in rain at a table with large window, also warmer inside. Much less sweating from the fabric walls, they are insulated. Older rubber roofs, look for leaks if they were stored outside in the rain and snow, and the owner did not do the required yearly caulking. Mine was stored inside, never recaulked, and no leaks. I will check the caulking yearly, it is stored in a barn out of the weather for winter with no sun on the caulking.

You can not carry weight on the older rubber roofs. To caulk the roof is not difficult, takes a couple of hours the first time and cost under $10. To replace to the much better new roof is around 5K off season, trip to Denver area. The new roof would include new fabric. I would also do the electric or new manual crank up system at the time of the roof upgrade, you could store major weight on the roof and lift it up without an issue (watch the video with an ATV on the roof, with a person, being lifted up).

I bought mine to see what I thought of the product, pulled the side jacks for weight issues and am very happy with the product. If I do not buy a newer model, I will replace the roof in a year or so for the weight of kayaks, etc. up on the roof. Depends on what you want. I would like to have a new one, highly modified with items left out to reduce wt. and improve utilization the way we camp and use the equipment. The new campers are likely close to state of the art for under a custom one off price. If you want more info., send me a number and I will give you a call. I drove from spudville to Denver area, bought mine used, went to the factory 2 times. They are very busy and were helpful. Four wheeler was less than helpful when I called on a used camper for some info.

Putting up the roof and breaking it down is a joy, my wife can do it without issues, and the loss of the half assed bar holding up the roof is obvious. Headroom is slightly less than the 4 wheeler (24 vs 27). The exterior was easier to clean, the new ones even better. New ones require taking the camper off to access the batteries, older ones are easy from the side with a slide out for the two batteries.

thanks for the tips. I'm going to overland expo west next month and going to explore them more and go from there. The info on the roof was great info. Thanks again.

Sent from my iPad using Wander The West

"Overkill is under rated" 

my Grandby upgrades--http://www.wanderthe...-to-me-grandby/

http://www.truckcamp...g-family-earth/

#6 Vic

Vic

• Members
  • 350 posts
  • Locationcamping somewhere in the Sierra Nevada range

Posted 19 April 2016 - 02:20 AM

The hallmark website occasionally has used ones listed.  In fact they have a nice 2005 8' up now that might be worth looking at:

http://www.hallmarkr...llmark-campers/

"I took the road less traveled.  Now I don't know where I am"

2014 Dodge Ram 3500 diesel & Hallmark Everest.  (Former Rig - 99 Ram 2500/ 2000 Sunlite Eagle pop-up)

#7 Threerun

Threerun

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
  • LocationLost in Montana *recalculating*

Posted 19 April 2016 - 09:31 PM

Good afternoon. I'm a new member (don't know why I never joined before) and I live in Montana. I've owned a Hallmark Guanella for over 5 years and have 'lived' in it for over 250 nights. They are great, great units. I would look for the carbon fiber roof as a must. It has been maintenance free for me. I have a Yak rack system with 3 crossbars. I have a cargo basket and my kayak saddle on top. 

The only items that 'failed' on my camper is the battery tray roll out frame and I replaced the hot water heater. I was doing battery maintenance, rolled both out and the frame broke sending the batteries down and putting a nice little dent in the truck. I took it out and now the batteries sit affixed to boards. The water heater had scaled up so bad that it needed replacing. 

Some of the options on mine are really nice to have, but not 'critical'. Power roof lift, mechanical corner jacks makes life easier but I could do without. 

I mostly boondock and my unit has solar on the roof. I have never run out of battery juice ever! I spent a week out elk hunting a few years back and we got whacked with a blizzard. Even with dismal sun coverage I was able to manage with no loss of furnace heat (and I have both LED and regular lights). I was holed up for 3 days in the camper- no problems! The solar is a must for my camping and use- I've only been 'plugged in' for maybe 10 out of 250+ nights. 

Customer service with Hallmark is exceptional and they stand by their campers. I can't say enough good things about them. 

Edited by Threerun, 19 April 2016 - 09:33 PM.

#8 Threerun

Threerun

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
  • LocationLost in Montana *recalculating*

Posted 19 April 2016 - 09:43 PM

I forgot to add an awning is a must for us! :D

E956B5E6-3739-4D57-8EEF-CF7569539457_zps

You can see the racks and solar on this photo..
DSC02890_zps14e951a1.jpg

Edited by Threerun, 19 April 2016 - 09:45 PM.

#9 smlobx

smlobx

Lost again

• Members
  • 1,529 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 19 April 2016 - 09:55 PM

^^^^^
Great review.
Thanks!

Eddie
KO4CPL

Travel light. Travel far. Travel safe.

#10 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,344 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 19 April 2016 - 10:42 PM

^^^^^
Great review.
Thanks!

x2 and welcome to WTW Threerun!

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users