• Please log in to reply
59 replies to this topic

#31 knoxswift

knoxswift

• Members
  • 219 posts
  • LocationAshburn, Virginia

Posted 14 August 2016 - 07:42 PM

My setup is a 2010 Tacoma with Eagle FWC. 3" lift total with this setup.

I'm always at the GVW but since I can't afford a new truck right now my setup is the following for FULL TIME install of the FWC. I'll hopefully replace this truck in another 5 years.

This setup is also designed for 4Wheeling with the camper installed to boondocks sites both rock crawling and desert. It's not setup for mud but I've done a few trips successfully with no winch.

If I remove the FWC, it drives terrible but that's not too often only when I need to do some home depot type runs or bring a motorcycle to a shop or something.

Hellwig Progressive Spring Pack for FWC

http://www.hellwigpr...-products/4231/

Roadster Active Suspension Kit for Sway:

http://www.activesuspension.com

ICON Hydraulic Bump Stops

http://iconvehicledy...top-system.html

ICON Stage 1 Front 

http://iconvehicledy...tem-stage1.html

Total Chaos UCAs

http://www.chaosfab....-Kit-96504.html

#32 allanb

allanb

• Members
  • 193 posts
  • LocationPhysical location N.w. Wa. Spiritual location rocky mtn west

Posted 16 August 2016 - 04:21 AM

Thanks Sunman. You helped at a good time for me. From all I have read here and on other forums, the vast majority of folks use and swear by airbags. I was getting ready to buy some and one voice had a bad experience with them. You helped clarify it for me, and I am still sure they are the way to go. I will double check the hardware and hoses though Sourdough.

I will have the camper on 90% of the time. But there a good chance it will come off at some point to pull a trailer for a while. So doesn't make sense to have new springs installed. The  worst roads i'll be doing are gravel and forest service dirt. No baja or overland expo stuff.

#33 abqbw

abqbw

• Members
  • 106 posts

Posted 02 October 2016 - 03:19 AM

I had a new FWC hawk shell model (1153 lbs) installed on my 2011 Tundra double cab on Sept 6 this year. Since then I have driven from Jackson Hole, WY to Albuquerque, NM and down to the Gila National forest (twice) from Albuquerque. I've been on two elk hunts (WY and the Gila in NM) and an elk scouting/photographing trip (the Gila). I squeezed in a side trip to Rocky Mtn National Park.

I've driven every kind of road imaginable fully loaded. From 80mph interstates, windy mountain and canyon paved roads, fast gravel all weather roads with lots of washer boards, fairly gentle two-tracks, to very rough uneven rock crawling roads. My suspension has performed flawlessly. I will not change a thing. My suspension consists of a Toyota factory TRD pro suspension that I had installed last year by the Toyota dealer (kit consists of new struts/springs in the front and rear shocks). I added eckstrom design 1-3/4 shackles in the rear because the TRD pro suspension raises only the front 2" and I wanted to maintain the factory rake. I had my rear springs replaced to accommodate the camper. The work was done by Boise Spring Works in Boise, ID who was recommended by my dealer, Denny Saunders of FWC of Jackson Hole. I wanted to try to avoid air bags because I spend a good deal of time on very rough 4 wheel drive roads. The spring work consisted of removal of the shortest bottom factory leaf and adding 4 new leaves for a net gain of 3 leaves. The TRD pro suspension works so well because it has a lot more articulation than stock. I didn't want to give that up.

I am surprised and very pleased at how well my truck handles on road and off-road with the camper. I drive pretty fast. Too fast probably. With all the variable driving conditions I have driven in I think I have done a ImageUploadedByWander The West1475378050.637866.jpg ImageUploadedByWander The West1475378127.519100.jpg ImageUploadedByWander The West1475378248.867679.jpg ImageUploadedByWander The West1475378321.234316.jpg ImageUploadedByWander The West1475378359.187967.jpg thorough suspension test...

Sent from my iPhone using Wander The West

#34 buckland

buckland

• Members
  • 3,084 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 03 October 2016 - 12:17 AM

With this set up do you take the camper off for any time and how is the new spring leaf pack feel w/o the camper on?

2016 Duramax 2.8 Diesel long bed Colorado 4WD with 2011 Eagle

Lordwoodcraft  instagram        Rob
The only people who ever get anyplace interesting are the people who get lost.
Henry David Thoreau
"Work to achieve not to acquire"

#35 abqbw

abqbw

• Members
  • 106 posts

Posted 03 October 2016 - 02:20 PM

I haven't driven it much without the camper. I just had the spring work done and the camper installed in early September. After the spring work, I drove the truck empty in Boise for a half a day and then the 375 miles to Jackson to have the camper installed. It wasn't particularity rough riding. It was stiffer but not harsh. I was actually worried that it wouldn't be "stiff" enough for the camper because the ride didn't seem very stiff. It turned out that it supports the camper perfectly.

#36 buckland

buckland

• Members
  • 3,084 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 03 October 2016 - 06:17 PM

Is this a Progressive spring pack that only 'kicks in' when the overload spring should (which was removed)?

2016 Duramax 2.8 Diesel long bed Colorado 4WD with 2011 Eagle

Lordwoodcraft  instagram        Rob
The only people who ever get anyplace interesting are the people who get lost.
Henry David Thoreau
"Work to achieve not to acquire"

#37 daverave

daverave

• Members
  • 233 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Posted 14 November 2016 - 06:01 AM

I'm having some Firestone air bags installed on my Hawk/F-150 4WD rig next week but am curious as to whether there needs to be adjustments made to them as one drives from sea level over 8,000 foot mountain passes? Most of our trips from Sacramento involve at least some time at higher elevations whether our destination is the Sierra or the desert. Is there a noticeable difference in the ride as the vehicle gets higher due to the potato chip bag effect?

https://www.flickr.c...tos/da_edwards/

Instagram removed my account because I couldn't prove I was over 13 y.o. :unsure:

#38 rando

rando

• Members
  • 1,638 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 14 November 2016 - 03:27 PM

I'm having some Firestone air bags installed on my Hawk/F-150 4WD rig next week but am curious as to whether there needs to be adjustments made to them as one drives from sea level over 8,000 foot mountain passes? Most of our trips from Sacramento involve at least some time at higher elevations whether our destination is the Sierra or the desert. Is there a noticeable difference in the ride as the vehicle gets higher due to the potato chip bag effect?

The is not something you need to worry about.   The pressure at sea level is ~1000hPa and at 8000' it is about 750hPa.   The change of 250hPa is equal to about 3.5 PSI - so your air bag (gauge) pressure will only increase by 3.5 PSI - not enough to notice.   Depending on how much pressure you are running in the bags, you pressure may actually decrease more from the cooler temperatures at altitude than it appears to increase from the change in atmospheric pressure. 

2016 Fleet Flatbed

2016 Toyota Tacoma

#39 hebegebe

hebegebe

• Members
  • 234 posts
  • LocationLA and San Diego

Posted 14 November 2016 - 04:16 PM

I have found that driving in the heat can swell the airbags and make them harsh an in cab gauge and valve allows you to bleed air off a bit when that happens

#40 allanb

allanb

• Members
  • 193 posts
  • LocationPhysical location N.w. Wa. Spiritual location rocky mtn west

Posted 15 November 2016 - 02:50 AM

no problems or notice any difference in ride. Driven about 3000 miles in last 4 weeks, from 0 feet elevation, to 10000 colorado passes.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users