• Please log in to reply
59 replies to this topic

#11 Kodachrome

Kodachrome

• Members
  • 369 posts
  • LocationColorado Rockies

Posted 10 May 2016 - 01:26 AM

I am using a 2005 Tacoma with an ATC Bobcat.

I have built up the back end quite a bit, Alcan off road leaf pack spec'd for the extra weight, RideRite airbags and 2" Icon rear reservoir shocks valved for the extra weight. I have never had an issue with bounce as long as the bags are aired up, the truck tracks the corners like it's stock with practically no body roll and it is pushing 6,000-6,200 pounds loaded.

The camper is on full time and I do a *lot* of fairly rough off roading at home ( Colorado ) and beyond. The rubber is 265/75/R16 AT/KO-II in load range E. 

Better to go with overkill than stranded I say.

Edited by Kodachrome, 10 May 2016 - 01:29 AM.

Instagram

407 HP Supercharged 2005 Tacoma / 550W Solarcharged 2009 ATC Bobcat.

#12 DonC

DonC

• Members
  • 397 posts
  • LocationBiahop

Posted 14 May 2016 - 03:11 AM

I went with the advice of JHanson and had Deaver Springs build custom springs that they installed today.   I previously only had airbags on my 06 Tundra 4 x 4, along wth E tires.  The new springs take my truck to normal height, and now the bags are only needed to fine tune based on extra weight or distribution during a trip.  The truck rides much better, more stable, feels tighter.

Cost was less than $600 and that included installing new rear Bilsteins that I supplied.

Great guys at Deavers.  Springs are all they do, and they ship all over the country.  They said they've done several campers in the last few weeks.

Edited by DonC, 14 May 2016 - 03:11 AM.

Don C

2012 FWC Fleet on a 2006 Tundra AC TRD 4 x 4

http://www.dchambersphotography.com/

#13 K7MDL

K7MDL

• Members
  • 286 posts
  • LocationSnohomish, WA

Posted 14 May 2016 - 04:38 PM

Might consider Timbrens rubber springs as a compromise, and they are relatively inexpensive and easy to intall/remove if you need something more.  I have used them on 2 trucks now with a FWC loaded on each and they perform well.  Unloaded, they do not touch the springs, loaded they act similar to an airbag with a progressive action which also helps level side to side, though not completely like an airbag can do, but well enough (<1/2" in my case). They replace the jounce bumpers and are under $250. 

I swapped from airbags to these as they will never leak, and I do not have to worry about off road over extension and installing limiting straps, and give stock ride when unloaded.

My trucks were RAM 2500+grandby and F150+Hawk, and under GVWR, so not running overloaded and serve to level the truck under load more than make up for weak springs/overloading such as smaller trucks have to deal with more.

Edited by K7MDL, 14 May 2016 - 04:41 PM.

2016 F-150 FX4 XLT SCab | Ingot Silver | 6.5' | 3.5EB | 3.55 w/rear locker | Tow | IBC | 7050# GVWR | 1945# Payload | 36Gal | BFG A/T KO2 LT275/70R18E | Timbrens

2022 FWC Hawk Silver Spur | Front Dinette | Cassette Toilet | Cooktop | Hot Water | Outside shower | CR850 fridge | 160W rooftop solar panel | 15A MPPT controller | Dual 90AH AGM batteries | Yakima Rack | 2 Maxxair fans | Furnace | Fiama side awning | Mechanical Jacks

#14 DannyB1954

DannyB1954

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 16 May 2016 - 03:25 AM

About 6 years ago I installed Monroe helper shocks, (with springs around outside), on my 1/2 ton Dakota P/u. I was gathering firewood for people. With the installed shocks I could carry about half a cord of wood no problem. They have never needed an air fill and they do ride nicely even without a load on the truck. 

The down side is the shock mounts are not designed to be weight bearing members. They are designed to restrict the movement of the truck via the shock. Some claim this is asking for trouble. I have not had a problem. Bottom line is I would do the same again. If there was a big liability issue, I don't believe Monroe would be selling them under their name.  

#15 bimmeryota

bimmeryota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts
  • LocationTacoma, WA

Posted 24 May 2016 - 05:12 AM

I've had airbags on two trucks and firmly believe that the only way to go is to have a spring made for what you're carrying and the kind of terrain you're on. Off road, airbags have too much rebound and limit up travel to stuff your tire. I even had cradles and prevented tearing them or pulling on the hardware but that only addressed one motion. When I had them in my T100 with my FWC I felt the pressure of the bags on the frame flexed my frame in a potentially negative way. Those trucks have a rear axle that is pretty far forward in the bed so the center of gravity is (hopefully) right on the axle and definitely not in front of it so that pivot point on the bump stop area seemed to flex the rearward part of the frame more. After I got the custom deaver springs the weight was properly distributed on the spring mounts (not the bumps top area) and the flex was noticeably less. Granted I leave my camper on full time so having it off is not needed. When I had the airbags on my other truck with no load I did not feel the ride was normal. Travel was still limited and rebound was still bad even with 5psi in them. I also had pretty soft leaf springs at the time though.

Sent from my iPhone using Wander The West

1998 Toyota T100 4WD SR5 XtraCab

3.4L V6 Supercharged, Auto, 33" BFG AT KO2, regeared to 4.70+ARB Rear Locker

1" Ball Joint Spacer front lift, KYB MonoMax

Load carrying: Custom Deaver spring packs

Camper: 2013 FWC Eagle with Silver Spur interior and outside shower

#16 sourdough

sourdough

• Members
  • 179 posts
  • Location(805)

Posted 16 June 2016 - 12:03 AM

I have a 2016 Toyota Tundra SR5 and am ordering a FWC Hawk this summer (right around 1500 lbs with options).

My wife and I are planning a six month road trip around the western United States next summer. Since we'll be on the road for such a long time with the Hawk on the back, I want to make sure the truck is properly prepared.

I'm planning to modify/supplement the rear suspension and put E rated tires on the truck.

On the rear suspension, I have seen and heard a lot about both Hellwig Pro Series helper springs, and various airbag suspension systems.

Curious which people prefer, why and the pros/cons you've found in your experience and research.

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Wander The West

Your truck is going to be overloaded but you all ready know that. IBTDT and it is not every enjoyable when you think about all the consequences doing so. I wanted a new Tundra but it just isn't rated for my purpose either. 

2013 Tiger CX Ram 3500 diesel 4x4

#17 Bill D

Bill D

• Members
  • 981 posts
  • LocationEdmonton, Alberta, Canada

Posted 16 June 2016 - 04:21 AM

I've had airbags on two trucks and firmly believe that the only way to go is to have a spring made for what you're carrying and the kind of terrain you're on. Off road, airbags have too much rebound and limit up travel to stuff your tire.

I agree.  I have Firestone airbags on my GMC Sierra 1500.  I'm not over my payload and I don't do much offload, just gravel, so they work for me, but it is kind of like having beach balls for suspension.  It does make for a nice highway ride and it's easy to level out the ride height though.

I used to drive a GMC 3500 for my oilfield truck and even as a conservative driver, I can tell you I'd be dead with some of the bumps that I have hit driving down forestry trunk roads etc if I hit them with my 1500 with airbags.  I would have bounced right of the road or blew an airbag.

Too much suspension can also be a bad thing though.  I usually didn't have enough weight on the 3500 and it was kind of like driving a jack hammer at times.  Sometimes the rear end would get a little light on washboard roads, to the point that I was almost drifting.

There is no substitute for the proper suspension, but even the heaviest haulers have airbags in combination with a heavy suspension.

#18 sourdough

sourdough

• Members
  • 179 posts
  • Location(805)

Posted 21 July 2016 - 02:14 PM

Air bags are to fragile for real off roading. I replaced mine after one blew with these.... http://www.activesuspension.com

Now waiting for the new F250. 

Edited by sourdough, 21 July 2016 - 02:16 PM.

2013 Tiger CX Ram 3500 diesel 4x4

#19 SunMan

SunMan

King Taco

• Members
  • 2,362 posts
  • LocationOxnard, CA.

Posted 21 July 2016 - 03:20 PM

Air bags are to fragile for real off roading. I replaced mine after one blew with these.... http://www.activesuspension.com
Now waiting for the new F250.

This is out of character for me but I feel must chime in here and respectfully disagree after reading three posts bashing airbags.

I've been running Firestone Ride Rites for nearly a decade now as have many others without incident. I have not driven conservatively with them and have put them through about as extreme abuse one could expect with a camper on a vehicle without issue. I'm sorry, but I feel it is disingenuous to scare away newbies asking questions from using something that is actually quite capable. In short, airbags are not too fragile for off-roading.

Coincidentally a friend of mine and WTW member bought your old airbags when you sold them. It is our novice opinion that the cradles you installed with yours were the cause of your problems and actually pinched the airbag, just my opinion. Anyway, enjoy the new rig.

Sunman
2003 Four Wheel Camper -Hawk

2023 All Terrain Camper - Panther 
2006 Toyota Tundra Double Cab Limited 4WD
2017 Toyota Tundra Double Cab Limited 4WD

#20 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,972 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 21 July 2016 - 06:00 PM

I'm wondering how all of these "spring" upgrades affect the ability of the shocks to handle the higher spring rates.  Suspension systems are designed to work together, and the shock has to be able to moderate the rate at which the tires (unsprung weight) move up and down.  If adding beefier springs (air bags too) should one not also be upping the capacity of the shocks?  Is there an easy way to do that? 

I the past when dialing in my track Miata, I would call the shock company and tell them the spring rate they had to valve the shock for.  Is there a simpler way to buy parts off the shelf that would work with a much stiffer spring (dual shocks?)

Vic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users