• Please log in to reply
79 replies to this topic

#11 GroovyDad

GroovyDad

• Members
  • 765 posts
  • LocationReno, NV

Posted 12 September 2016 - 11:58 PM

On discontinued items, ask someone in a store to check for remaining stock in other stores. We got two for half price with no shipping charges to a closer store.

I'll give that a try for sure.  I was at REI a few weeks ago and saw that the chair was listed on their display as available (I got a little excited), but when I asked an associate to order it for me he said it was no longer available.  

I didn't think to ask if any other store had it in their remaining stock.  

"I only went out for a walk, and finally concluded to stay out till sundown, for going out, I found, was really going in." —John Muir. http://aimlessroamer.blogspot.com/

#12 badtoytrd

badtoytrd

• Members
  • 210 posts
  • LocationVA...for hopefully a short period of time...with WA on my mind

Posted 13 September 2016 - 12:54 AM

Love my Kermit chair. Packs up great, hand built, and damn comfy

Edited by badtoytrd, 08 October 2016 - 01:04 AM.

2008 Toyota Tacoma Access Cab

2011 Four Wheel Campers Fleet

https://www.theadventuresofrubyd.com

#13 RicoV

RicoV

• Members
  • 289 posts
  • LocationVail, AZ

Posted 13 September 2016 - 11:42 PM

Ultimate Recliner Chair from Alps Mountaineering: Adjusts in 7 increments, from total upright to star-gazing, nice neck support for us geezers, easily customizable for your particular fit (as I did), packs up flat, best camp chair I've ever owned, bar none, it's worth a look.

Rico

RicoV
2011 FWC Grandby Shell on a 2011 Nissan Titan King Cab SV 4WD

#14 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,594 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 14 September 2016 - 12:32 AM

The GCI Pico Chair is my favorite.   It folds up quite small, and provides good back support.

1438889781000_1174874.jpg

I am haunted by waters

#15 Moss Grimmick

Moss Grimmick

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 15 September 2016 - 07:38 PM

I use the Strongback and am pleased with it except for one thing: when cold in the morning (and not all that cold: below 40F) the chair won't fold shut.  I have to wait till it warms up before I'm able to fold it.

Anyone else with this problem?

#16 PaulT

PaulT

Need gumbo

• Members
  • 2,612 posts
  • LocationHillsboro, Oregon

Posted 15 September 2016 - 09:39 PM

Although I haven't had a problem as severe as yours, Silicone spray on the sliding parts helped my Strongbacks open & shut more easily.

Paul

Edited by PaulT, 15 September 2016 - 09:45 PM.

I thought getting old would take longer.

#17 CSG

CSG

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
  • LocationSouth Central Idaho

Posted 16 September 2016 - 04:35 AM

I've had a couple of those large, collapsible sling chairs for better than 10 years and I still find them very comfortable.  Think they might have been from Walmart and probably less than $20 then.  Remarkably sturdy so far.

2002 Lexus LX470

2002 Pleasure-Way Traverse camping van

2001 GMC 2500HD 4x4 EC/LB

#18 fish more

fish more

• Members
  • 796 posts
  • LocationSierra Foothills

Posted 16 September 2016 - 04:56 AM

Strongbacks chairs very comfy, had nothing but problems with these chairs. Bolts break, have to replace almost all hardware with larger hardware, design problem, newer chairs have larger bolts and fasteners. Strongback will not send new hardware. poor customer service. Beware !!!! It's really too bad, because they are the most comfortable chairs I have ever used, with the exception of my Cablelas director chair w/side table.

Edited by fish more, 16 September 2016 - 05:00 AM.

#19 Squatch

Squatch

• Members
  • 1,281 posts
  • LocationOn the wrong side of the mountains!

Posted 23 September 2016 - 03:47 PM

This is a subject I have strong feelings on. And I have found 2 answers to the question for me. I'm old and arthritic. I need a sturdy chair with hard arms to lift myself with. I detest the throw away bag chairs most use. mostly uncomfortable and fail at bad times. I also like to sit a bit upright. My favorite chair is this GCI directors chair. I've worn one out over the last few years. The sun finally got to the fabric and it ripped. I've used it on river banks with rocks stacked under a corner, My back porch in the evenings and anyplace else I've camped. I just bought a new one last week from Dick's Sporting goods. It's nice and tall, fairly light, and has a tall backrest that folds down for storage. I love the side table so much I usually don't bring a table.

http://www.fieldands...tdoor Furniture

My 2nd favorite is my ARB Sport chair. The bag chair concept done right with hard arms that lock in place. Comfortable and sturdy. We've been using one of these for over a year now.

https://www.amazon.c...g/dp/B0036UI1OI

Both are pretty inexpensive and have held up well to rough use. When not camping these chairs are usually set up on my porch. They get a lot of use that way as well. Neither is backpacker light or compact. But both pack small and light enough to carry them in the camper or my boat/canoe.

Edited by Squatch, 23 September 2016 - 03:49 PM.

#20 todgru

todgru

• Members
  • 112 posts
  • LocationMaupin, OR

Posted 23 September 2016 - 05:38 PM

The wife and I have a pair of these from REI https://www.rei.com/...rest-treo-chair

Very lightweight and comfortable.

The big problem with these, fyi, is setup and tear down. When I get to camp, I really just want to sit in a ready to go chair. These take a few minutes to put together. Not a big deal, but a couple of comfortable aluminum chairs would work just as well! :)

d3f75621-6ea0-4e20-aa37-989503cdcb33

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users