79 replies to this topic

#21 MarkBC

MarkBC

The Weatherman

• Site Team
  • 6,602 posts
  • LocationBend, Oregon

Posted 23 September 2016 - 05:44 PM

Strongbacks chairs very comfy, had nothing but problems with these chairs. Bolts break....

I've had a similar experience with my beloved Strongback chair...though it sounds like not as severe -- I lost one bolt.  Still, I love the lumbar support -- still my most comfortable chair.  (Well, the Lafuma lounger is the most comfortable for napping)

...this has become my favorite chair.  It's light, comfortable and folds nice and flat, but wouldn't you know, REI discontinued them.

post-5621-0-93767300-1473721935_thumb.jp

This REI folding chair is my go-to when I need easy portability or just when I want to be close to the ground.

FWC Hawk (2005) on a Ford F250 Supercab, 6.8L V10 gas (2000)

#22 wetcoast

wetcoast

• Members
  • 221 posts

Posted 24 September 2016 - 12:32 AM

The wife and I have a pair of these from REI https://www.rei.com/...rest-treo-chair

With the smaller campers, I have the Falcon, these two solutions look like they might be great upgrades but still use almost no space? We use a couple of these that are real low riders https://www.mec.ca/e...28/Mantis-Chair but the Helinox looks nice for resting the neck and the Treo for easy in and out since it looks like a reasonable height?

#23 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,974 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 24 September 2016 - 07:13 PM

we have the Treo's as well.  Both chairs broke earlier this summer (front leg snapped), and Thermarest replaced them, no questions asked.  The replacements look exactly like the originals, so I am not too sure how long they will last.  BTW, I weigh 185 lbs.  Well under the stated max weight, and they broke while leaning forward to stoke the fire.  Very odd.

They are also quite unstable and take some getting used to.  Not recommended for nights of heavy drinking!

Vic

#24 buckland

buckland

• Members
  • 3,082 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 28 September 2016 - 10:58 PM

I second the motion for the  Kermit chair... I have had 2 for 25 years...still in great shape...extremely well made by hand.... pays off over time...I have also gone through 3 or 4 walmart chairs... over all Kermit was a better value... they also look great (though they are low to the ground you can also buy leg extensions)

2016 Duramax 2.8 Diesel long bed Colorado 4WD with 2011 Eagle

Lordwoodcraft  instagram        Rob
The only people who ever get anyplace interesting are the people who get lost.
Henry David Thoreau
"Work to achieve not to acquire"

#25 Ronin

Ronin

• Members
  • 934 posts
  • LocationPNW

Posted 29 September 2016 - 01:41 AM

My fav is LaFuma. I've been using the same ones since 1998. Replaced the pad 3yrs ago. They take up a lot of storage room but the few times I opted for something else I always regretted it. They are infinitely adjustable from upright to star gazing. I've actually spent some nights sleeping on them. I like that most parts can be replaced so they're not just thrown away after a few years. The only thing I wish they had are a cupholder. 

Attached Thumbnails

• lafuma - 1.jpg

2019 Tundra 2019 Panther Shell

#26 Idahomauledriver

Idahomauledriver

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 05 October 2016 - 09:07 AM

X2 on the Kermit chair. My wife and I both have them and they travel with us all the time.

Sent from my iPad using Wander The West

#27 Tuff Guy 62

Tuff Guy 62

• Members
  • 829 posts
  • LocationArizona Rim Country

Posted 06 October 2016 - 08:05 PM

X2 on the GCI Directors Chair.

Durable, stable and the built in side table is a huge plus during happy hour and meal times.

2000 2WD Chevy Silverado 1500 5.3 liter V8

2019 Ram 2500 6.4 liter Hemi

2015 ATC Custom Panther Shell

When you come to a fork in the road, take it. Yogi Berra

#28 Seth

Seth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 06 October 2016 - 10:51 PM

My fav is LaFuma...

I have a knockoff of that style chair that I quite like, but will have to try out the original version one of these days. The knockoff is no good for sitting upright, but a great lounger.

Ronin, where is that campsite? Care to share? It has a view to admire...

Sent from my iPad using Wander The West

Edited by Seth, 06 October 2016 - 10:51 PM.

#29 Bseek

Bseek

Gypsy Feet

• Members
  • 448 posts
  • LocationSonora, Ca Sierra Foothills

Posted 07 October 2016 - 03:59 AM

Not Ronin, but I am guessing Kirk Creek on Hwy 1. Am I correct?

Subaru Outback Gypsy Wagon
2013 Toyota Tacoma DCLB : 2015 ATC Bobcat shell
By the way, it's Brenda   https://sierrashadow.wordpress.com/

#30 Ronin

Ronin

• Members
  • 934 posts
  • LocationPNW

Posted 11 October 2016 - 12:34 AM

Absolutely right- it is Kirk Creek Campground. One of the best spots on the Ca coast. I believe it has less than 20 spaces so reservations a must. I'm not sure if the Sobranes Fire affects access or not so be sure to check with CHP or CalFire for latest info. I was in site #17 situated right on the bluff above the ocean. 

2019 Tundra 2019 Panther Shell

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users