#1 DSD277

DSD277

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts
  • LocationArcadia, California

Posted 19 September 2016 - 06:05 PM

Last December I decided to downsize from a 2500 Silverado to a new 4x4 Chevy Colorado 5’ short bed, crewcab with the new 2.8l DuraMax diesel.

I knew I wanted a FWC or ATC, but not really the short Swift, but rather the longer Fleet and because of the Colorado’s higher bed sides, making another forkliftable riser to fill the gap between the bed floor and the bottom of the camper and support the 21” that was behind the bed floor was in order.

The build for the Silverado’s forkliftable riser for my Kestrel is here:

http://www.wanderthe...ge/#entry124218

I had planned to modify the original  riser for the Kestrel to fit the Fleet, but the first person that saw the camper  wanted the riser along with the camper, scraping the box he had made in his truck for the Kestrel.

The design for a new riser was easy, pay attention to keeping the weight down and maintaining the longitudinal support .I also added in a spacer bar that is bolted in for the unequal height of the Colorado’s bed and unlevel tailgate (or without the tailgate). Unbolting the spacer also would allow the camper to fit any late Silverado if I decided to change trucks again later and not have to re-invent the wheel.

Having done literally over a dozen trucks for carrying service bodies or campers ( or swapping between them), I knew the Colorado would need air springs to go between the full load of the camper and when it was empty, and also replace the shocks with adjustable ones for the same reason. Back in the first of May I ordered and installed the Air Lift ride control air bags and the wireless controller and on-board compressor. The Rancho system that had worked so well in the past had been discontinued and Rancho hasn’t made the 9000s yet for the Colorado… L , So I decided to wait to see what may become available after the camper was fitted.

Jumping forward to last the end of last month, I had my appointment to load the camper at American RV Company., I had done all the tiedowns points in the truck and electrical, and had a couple of different sets of Fastguns and varies quick links and hooks for whatever my needs might be.

Attached Thumbnails

• DSCN0899c.jpg
  • DSCN0895c.jpg
  • DSCN0896c.jpg

#2 DSD277

DSD277

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 19 September 2016 - 06:16 PM

Attached here is a pic of the riser and the loading of the shell

Attached Thumbnails

• DSCN0929s.jpg
  • DSCN0897c.jpg
  • DSCN0901c.jpg

#3 DSD277

DSD277

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 19 September 2016 - 06:41 PM

The camper was originally installed with the tailgate in place, but has been removed since for more clearance in the rear and avoid damage to the tailgate from road debris. Camper jacks were also removed and "centering shims" added, that also rotate out of the way.

Attached Thumbnails

• DSCN0926s.jpg
  • DSCN0937s.jpg
  • DSCN0960s.jpg
  • DSCN0959s.jpg

#4 kmcintyre

kmcintyre

• Members
  • 1,387 posts
  • LocationBoise, ID

Posted 19 September 2016 - 07:01 PM

Nice.  I may have to have something like that built.  I was thinking alum. and putting some locking sides on it so I could slide items in the wheel wells and keep them somewhat secure. 

Boise, ID

2022 Chevy 3500 HD

2023 FWC Flatbed Hawk

#5 DSD277

DSD277

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 19 September 2016 - 07:01 PM

This is the step setup I made. The large lower platform is at a height that I can go directly into the lowered camper on my hands and knees without having to worry about hitting my head on the door frame header. The upper step is at a point that I can walk up into a raised camper that my head clears under the header. I designed these steps for my leg length and body height, so each person may be different.

Attached Thumbnails

• DSCN0954s.jpg
  • DSCN0953s.jpg
  • DSCN0952s.jpg
  • DSCN0951s.jpg

#6 DSD277

DSD277

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 19 September 2016 - 08:12 PM

Lastly, FWC didn't have a tiedown setup for the (5') short bed  Colorado so I was able to locate points that I could mount forged eye bolts. Only the front left corner was difficult because of the fuel tank and filler hoses routed through that area. I even made a gig and guide to drill that hole from underneath to be sure I didn't nick anything

I will be moving the camper's front anchor points forward at some time and cut new access doors to allow  even easier installation of the the Fastgun Derringers. This camper was a sales demo with the access holes for a typical Tacoma with a 6' bed.

I had planned and prepped the truck for the camper since the day I had ordered the truck  last December. I've had the truck since March, and the Fleet has now been installed for 1 month and every problem and glitch I had expected was either already prepped for, or became such a minor item that it really doesn't matter when I get to them, or if at all. The Hi Lift air springs and controller have done everything that was expected of them, especially since the 5' bed has pushed the camper further behind the axle. and all the additional camper  weight is at the rear.

The only items that did surprise me was that the shocks are controlling the ride far better than I ever expected them to ( I was/am planning to install adjustables at some point, but now way down on the "to do" list). The camper will be part time, 30% on/ 70% off.  Also I expected to have to air the tires up quite a bit but the factory's settings handled quite nicely, but I did raise the rears 5 PSi to 40 for my "own piece of mind", and even more surprisingly, did make the ride oh so slightly harsher in the rear. One of my next mods will be to change to BFG AT's and with the light weight of the Colorado/Fleet I expect the tires to maintain the same settings

Attached Thumbnails

• DSCN0761s.jpg
  • DSCN0762s.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users