308 replies to this topic

#21 ntsqd

ntsqd

Custom User Title

• Members
  • 2,881 posts
  • LocationNorth So.CA

Posted 13 October 2016 - 03:53 AM

To me a concern is that we put a lot of thought & effort into getting a 4 or 5 stage charge controller for the solar system and doing our best to get the max output of the panels to the controller, but simply accept the 'stupid' power coming from the alternator. Regular alternator regulators do not use a 4 or 5 stage charging algorithm, they simply set the charging voltage and pump the amps into the battery regardless of the SoC. I've mentioned before that I looked into marine alternator regulators as they employ multi-step charging algorithms, but those come at a real premium! Some sample links:

http://www.balmar.ne...gulator-ars-5-h (West Marine: http://www.westmarin...969?recordNum=1 )

http://www.sterling-...rregulator.aspx

An advantage would be that the starting battery(ies) would also benefit from multi-stage charging and should last longer.

I hadn't dug into the C-Tek Dual 250S enough to notice that it wasn't configurable. Assuming it would work out of the box with your batteries it can be connected to both solar and to the alternator charge wire. It uses the same 4 stage charging scheme with the strongest input of the two. Which means that it also will function in place of any truck/camper isolation methodology so it would replace that need as well as the solar charger controller need. Until this recent revelation about lack of setting ability it was looking like a clear winner, now I'm not so sure.

My admittedly limited understanding of the Smartpass is that it's basically a 120VAC driven battery charger designed to work in conjunction with the 250S, but their literature is less than clear about that.

With regard to a wind generator, there are telescoping aluminum poles made to be RV flag poles. 8' to 25', travels in an ABS tube mounted under the bed rail over-hang of the camper. I got it on clearance and use it for a radio antenna mast, but a wind generator could easily be mounted on top of it too. I would be tempted to look into disabling the built-in charge controller and use it with something mounted in the camper closer to the battery(ies). My extremely limited understanding of wind generators is that they don't work well with most (all?) solar charge controllers and need something specific.

Thom

Where does that road go?

#22 Zirdu

Zirdu

• Members
  • 110 posts
  • LocationSt. George, UT

Posted 13 October 2016 - 03:06 PM

Excellent summary.  One place I am thinking you are overestimating your power usage would be in the Sure-Flo pump.  You estimate use of 2 hours per day.  Wouldn't two hours of continuous pumping drain your water tank several times over?  In my Eagle, with a 11 gal tank, I think I might have averaged from 5 to 15 min  per day use of the pump.  

And it seems you are figuring for use in the winter in the Canadian Rockies, with no sun for two days at a time. Wow, that is an extreme situation.  I mostly camp in US Southwest, so I get a LOT more sun, and I always get some sun every day, so I figure I can get solar charging every day.  Of course some days better than others.  

My theory is to plan for the average usage, knowing that some percentage of the time I will be draining the batteries.  In those situations, I can run the truck engine, or drive around a bit, or turn the fridge up, or not use the heater, etc, to conserve power.  

I am getting a new Grandby, and for convenience I just ordered it with dual factory batteries - total of 150 AH.  I figure I will get by with this until the batteries go bad in 3 to 5 years.  Then, hopefully the Li-ion batteries will be cheap enough I can replace with maybe 200 AH of Lithium!  That would be equivalent to 400AH of lead acid AGM.  In solar power, I am going with the super lightweight flexible panels, so i can get up to 480 Watts of panels on roof with little weight penalty.  

Many here are not satisfied with the factory wiring for solar and alternator.  To help with voltage drop in the supplied 10 AWG solar wiring, I am wiring some panels in series to increase voltage, and using an MPPT controller.  I am not sure what to make of all the posts about need to increase size of wiring from truck alternator to house battery.  If the wire size used by FWC is so inadequate, why do they use it?  They seem so concerned with using only the best in all other aspects, why would they scrimp on this?  How much more could it cost to use #6 AWG wiring here, rather than #10?  Maybe people start having problems with alternator charging when they increase the house battery size beyond the factory supplied batteries?  I don't know.  

#23 ntsqd

ntsqd

Custom User Title

• Members
  • 2,881 posts
  • LocationNorth So.CA

Posted 13 October 2016 - 03:25 PM

10 ga. is the largest wire that fits in most connectors used in the RV industry. To go larger means using a connector that is significantly larger itself, and not common within the RV industry.

Thom

Where does that road go?

#24 PaulT

PaulT

Need gumbo

• Members
  • 2,612 posts
  • LocationHillsboro, Oregon

Posted 13 October 2016 - 05:09 PM

10 ga. is the largest wire that fits in most connectors used in the RV industry. To go larger means using a connector that is significantly larger itself, and not common within the RV industry.

Connectors are available with sufficient capacity such as the Anderson SB series.

Up to 4/0 wire size and 350 amps
https://powerwerx.co...e-piece-contact

The 175 amp version might be suitable as it supports 6 to 1/0 gauge wire.
https://powerwerx.co...e-piece-contact

Paul
I thought getting old would take longer.

#25 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,962 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 13 October 2016 - 10:15 PM

Ntsqd, thanks for joining in this conversation.  I agree that the “stupid” alternator regulator is an issue.  Regarding the CTWK 250s and Smartpass, I looked deeper for more  documentation.  Here is what I found:

Great writeup on a guy who is very happy with his total Ctek solution for Solar, Alternator and Shore power. - LINK

Ctek discussion at the Expedition Portal, with a recommendation to consider the BlueSea ML-ACR 7622 we already know about

One feature of the 250S I had not noticed before which is really interesting, is that it also functions as a DC-DC converter, and will UP the voltage output of the alternator to compensate for those that are regulated too low (Toyota Tundra comes to mind) or for excessive voltage drop.  Very cool.

Here is another DC-DC converter I have seen recommended in the 4x4 community- LINK

I also found this awesome article talking about automotive alternators as “Battery Assassins” - LINK   He is talking about boating applications, but those are very similar to what we are doing in our FWC/ATC/Campers.  The same fellow also makes alternators ( LINK ) without regulators so you can use the external Balmar style regulators that ntsqd mentioned - LINK

And to clarify how the Smartpass works, and at the risk of being wrong, it does not appear to be 120AC driven.  Instead, it bypasses the 250S during the bulk charging stage, and hands control back to the 250S when it detects that the charging current is dropping back to the levels the 250S can handle.  That‘s 20A.  Remember that number for a bit later.... 

And thanks to Zirdu, yeah, that pump usage was likely overstated... guess I was dreaming of long & hot showers ;-)... and yes, I am thinking cloudy/rainy days, something the folks in the PNW get too.  When I was car camping this summer at Mt Rainier, I saw that most of the campsites had no sun... wonderful shade dappled campsites.  So without a long portable cable and room to put the panels on the road (!) or other sunny spot, charging wasn’t happening without a drive.  No generators were allowed.

And for sure, if we are only sizing our systems assuming NO days without charging, then it all gets much smaller/cheaper.

I am also starting to wonder if simply upgrading the wiring from the alternator to the camper batteries is just asking to blow my alternator by getting it way to hot.  I suspect my alternator/ECU in the truck will protect it from overheating, but don’t know about that.  Beware.

And if you need more “backstory” to why all this research and solution finding is necessary, this 2014 thread started by Ethergore is talking exactly about the problems we are uncovering and documenting here - LINK

Plus that thread has a reference to these really nice 300AH batteries that member DesertDave is using  If you want to know why we are working so hard on protecting our investment, check the price on these bad boys... and you would need two of them..... GULP!

Speaking of smaller/cheaper, everything I am bringing forward so far seems to be leading towards spending more money and increasing the weight and complexity of the systems.  I dislike this!

How to do it right, and do it economically are my questions now. 

I for one am unlikely to buy a new alternator and external regulator.  So I am stuck with the factory GMC alternator.  Luckily, I get 15v+ out of mine.  I understand the Tundra folks (post #14 from this thread says 13.5v)  are not as lucky LINK & LINK

First,

Reduce how much power you need.  Most of us are already doing LED lights, and the newer DC fridges are getting quite efficient.

Second,

Measure you power usage and battery health.  Get that Trimetric TM2030!

Third,

Reduce the number of days between no – charging.  Weather is unpredictable, but do what you can.  Shore power/generator/driving can usually get your batteries up to 85%.

Fourth,

Figure out the “more power” option you are most likely to use.  Will you drive every two days?  Get sunlight?  Get back home for a long time so the 120v is available for several days, ever via shore power or generator?

Fifth,

If you plan on driving every few days, maximize your charging potential.  Consider getting the CTEK D205S and SmartPass, and upgrade to BIG wires.  The CTEK will up your alternator output voltage (Tundra owners take note), and the SmartPass will dump up to 80A across those big wires.  It MAY even compensate for the voltage drop, but I am not sure how, as it doesn't use a second set of wires for voltage sensing.

AT MINIMUM, if you get the D250S and size your wires for 20A, the D250S will pass your camper batteries a max of 14.4V less the voltage drop over your wires at the D250S maximum 20A of current.

As a reminder, this voltage drop calculator will tell you that you need 4AWG wire to get 14.2v to your expensive AGM camper batteries.  2 AWG makes that 14.27V.  Both of those will at least get your batteries above the float level, but sadly, below a full absorb charge level.

BEST CASE, get the SmartPass too, and upgrade your wires to 2/0 as well.  Using my alternator at 15.2V output, through the SmartPass over 2/0 wire will deliver 14.95V during the bulk phase to my batteries.  In all likelihood, that will get me to 85% battery capacity in less than an hour of driving/idling.  Then the D250S will take over and at 20A give me 14.34V for as long as needed at the absorb level.  Almost perfect.

I say almost perfect.  I LIKE the CTEK because it combines a lot of functionality into one box.  I just wish the voltages were adjustable.  Because my alternator outputs higher than 14.4V, I could possibly be better off without the CTEK.

How? Since I will be upgrading to 2/0 AWG anyway, I could use the BlueSea ML-ACR 7622 to get 15V+ at 40A+ to my camper batteries.  I would have to watch how that works though, because keeping that high a rate of charge going will kill the batteries and/or alternator.  Hmmm... less than ideal with the Smartpass, but also maybe better than having to keep an eye on this and cook expensive bits.

Could be a win for the CTEK. 

Let’s parse this out a bit more.  With the CTEK, I don’t need the 7622 ACR  That unit alone is $207 USD.  IF I can live with only using 12V solar panels, then I also don’t need to get another charge controller for the solar system.  That means not having to buy the Trimetric SC2030 at about $130.  Total cost = $427.  Cost of the CTEK combination is $470 on Amazon.com. 

Simplicity + not perfect = happiness?  Dunno.

Sixth,

Get more voltage from your solar panels. The cheapest/best solution for 12V and PWM style controllers seems to be the Trimetric SC2030.  Unless you are putting more panels on the roof or using a portable with long cables.

Again, stock wiring to the roof is 10 or even 12g.  Assuming 10g over 10’ of wire, and a single GrapeSolar 100W panel on the roof, that puts out 17.8V at 5.62A, the loss is an acceptable .62% getting you 17.69V to the controller and thus the batteries.

Up that to 300 panels and the loss is 1.91%.  Upgrading the wiring to the roof to 6g gets us back down to a loss of .73%.  Maybe this is a no-brainer, and the extra loss is OK? 

Going to the portable setup, at single 100W panel 50’ away over the standard 12/2 cable (GoPower kit) we get a whopping 3.15% power loss.  If I use two 100W panels at 50’, then my loss is 5.84%.  Acceptable?  I don’t know, as it still feeds 17.24v into the controller, and I should just think of it as having two 94W panels instead of 100W panels.   

On the other hand, I can make my own much beefier cables and reduce the loss, and if I need more current capability at the controller, I can double up the number of SC2030 units – how to?  Click here.

I can live with that.

Seventh,

More ideas???

Edited by Vic Harder, 13 October 2016 - 10:24 PM.

#26 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,338 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 13 October 2016 - 10:51 PM

Vic, again thank you for all the research and documentation.

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#27 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,962 posts

Posted 14 October 2016 - 01:00 AM

I'm sure I have read folks here saying that they have added solar panels to the roof/portable and used their existing charge controller for both panels.  From what I have read, this isn't supposed to work, and you need a separate controller for each array?  If the panels are identical, then it does work, but what are the odds of that, as we mix n' match and upgrade our systems?

Morningstar says you can't - LINK as do the folks here and here.

Given that folks here have done it, what am I missing?

And if it is true that we need multiple controllers, then .... well, I don't know what to think right now.  Let me get an adult beverage and get back to y'all   :blink:

#28 bfh4n

bfh4n

• Members
  • 235 posts
  • LocationLovingston, Virginia

Posted 14 October 2016 - 02:49 PM

Vic,

I read your post with great interest. It represents a lot of good work on your part. In fact, I was overwhelmed by it all. I don't think your usage projections match what I do very well, but that is to be expected, as everyone's case is different.

I have both CTEK 250S Dual and Smartpass units installed in my Fleet and it seems to work well for charging from the truck generator (I haven't hooked up solar panels yet). The CTEK (non-adjustable) maximum charging voltage of 14.4 Volts happens to match the optimum charging voltage for my batteries (2x Exide FWC OEMs). I set my TriMetric to the correct "fully charged" criteria for my batteries, and it shows that the CTEK easily gets the batteries back to 100% from an overnight drain down to about 75% after an hour or two of driving. I've seen it pumping significant Amps (up to 20) into the camper battery at 14.4 Volts from the truck battery at 13.6 Volts. It also allows a high rate of charge (up to 80 Amps in theory, and I've seen over 50) for a short time while the truck generator is charging the truck battery at a high rate. I have installed heavier wire (4 AWG) than the OEM from the truck battery to the CTEK, but the capability of the CTEK to boost voltage should give some degree of immunity to the voltage drop in undersized wire.

I haven't tried the solar charging capability of the CTEK yet, but I can say that it is seems to be a viable alternative to the automatic battery isolator and the FWC approach of "hook the batteries together and hope for the best", which probably leads to less-that-satisfactory results in most cases.

- Bernard

Edited by bfh4n, 14 October 2016 - 02:49 PM.

2014 silver Fleet front-dinette

2007 Tacoma Access Cab 4WD TRD V6 6-speed

#29 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,962 posts

Posted 15 October 2016 - 06:13 PM

Bernard,

This is great data!  So are you saying that you see 14.4 at the camper batteries when your truck batteries/alternator are only putting out 13.6?  That would be amazing, and shows off the DC-DC converter function of the D250S, and that's over 4g wire, about 20' long?  That implies the CTEK is upping the voltage to 14.6 before sending it to your batteries.  Neat. 

#30 Captm

Captm

• Members
  • 269 posts
  • LocationPort Angeles

Posted 15 October 2016 - 06:53 PM

Thank you for your research!

Just a quick question and maybe you addressed it but I missed it. When you say a  "20ft" wire run is it 10ft  each way or 20ft each way for a total of 40ft ?

Cheers!

2005 Tacoma Dbl cab LB 4x4

2014 Fleet shell

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users