http://invertersrus.com/produ

• Please log in to reply
59 replies to this topic

#31 So Cal Adventurer

So Cal Adventurer

• Members
  • 368 posts

Posted 03 January 2018 - 08:57 PM

I've been running a Xantrex ProWatt2000 inverter (around $450ish) in my truck for over 2 years now.  Absolutely love it and more than enough for anything you might need.

One day a friend and I were bored and went through my whole garage and tried every single power tool I had and a microwave, and it performed perfectly.

I have 200 watt solar directly to a group 31 odyssey and the inverter directly to the odyssey, with 200 amp fuses in between.

Once I take delivery of my hawk, I will be moving the inverter over to it and setting up a charging station for all my photography gear.  Which is really all I use it for anyway.

My .02

Edited by So Cal Adventurer, 03 January 2018 - 08:58 PM.

Follow My Shenanigans: instagram.com/campermccampface

#32 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,962 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 03 January 2018 - 09:07 PM

I'll wade into this... If you are running anything with a fan/motor, you want a pure sine wave inverter.  That means nice curvy waveforms, vs the alternative, which is basically square waves that motors don't like.  For that matter, sensitive electronics don't like square waves, nor does radio gear.  

Sine wave inverters cost a lot more, and you have to decide what you want to do.  Just charge batteries on your electronics/camera/phone?  A small 300W square wave will do, and these normally plug into your cigaretter lighter.  I chopped the plug off of mine and wired it into the battery comparment and an ac outlet - done.

If you want to run something bigger like a big'ish screen or CPAP machine or - toaster oven - you will need that 2000W unit, and the batteries to run it.

Something to think about.  A 1500W toaster oven is drawing 1500/120 = 12.5A in your house.  Assuming 80% efficiency at converting the 12v DC in your batteries to 120v AC that the toaster needs, you need to deliver 156A to the inverter.  

The wires had better be beefy, and short, and your batteries big if you want to cook much of anything!

#33 MattC

MattC

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 03 January 2018 - 09:34 PM

I've been running a Xantrex ProWatt2000 inverter (around $450ish) in my truck for over 2 years now.  Absolutely love it and more than enough for anything you might need.

One day a friend and I were bored and went through my whole garage and tried every single power tool I had and a microwave, and it performed perfectly.

I have 200 watt solar directly to a group 31 odyssey and the inverter directly to the odyssey, with 200 amp fuses in between.

Once I take delivery of my hawk, I will be moving the inverter over to it and setting up a charging station for all my photography gear.  Which is really all I use it for anyway.

My .02

Thanks for the input, that's about what I have been looking at.

I have two new agm 12v batts in the camper.

and I don't mind starting the pickup to get everything back up to snuff.

this is for occasional use only, in a quick overnight, or tailgating situation.

I just don't want have to drag my generator around with me all the time 

Edited by MattC, 03 January 2018 - 09:35 PM.

#34 MattC

MattC

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 03 January 2018 - 09:38 PM

I'll wade into this... If you are running anything with a fan/motor, you want a pure sine wave inverter.  That means nice curvy waveforms, vs the alternative, which is basically square waves that motors don't like.  For that matter, sensitive electronics don't like square waves, nor does radio gear.  

Sine wave inverters cost a lot more, and you have to decide what you want to do.  Just charge batteries on your electronics/camera/phone?  A small 300W square wave will do, and these normally plug into your cigaretter lighter.  I chopped the plug off of mine and wired it into the battery comparment and an ac outlet - done.

If you want to run something bigger like a big'ish screen or CPAP machine or - toaster oven - you will need that 2000W unit, and the batteries to run it.

Something to think about.  A 1500W toaster oven is drawing 1500/120 = 12.5A in your house.  Assuming 80% efficiency at converting the 12v DC in your batteries to 120v AC that the toaster needs, you need to deliver 156A to the inverter.  

The wires had better be beefy, and short, and your batteries big if you want to cook much of anything!

Thanks for the info

I will be mostly trying run my small single serve coffee maker.

#35 rando

rando

• Members
  • 1,638 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 03 January 2018 - 10:13 PM

If an electric coffee maker is your goal - you may want to think about a 12V version:

https://www.amazon.c...1WDNY4J6MG67V98

Seems like the long way around the convert 12V to 120V AC just to convert it back to resistance heat. 

2016 Fleet Flatbed

2016 Toyota Tacoma

#36 So Cal Adventurer

So Cal Adventurer

• Members
  • 368 posts

Posted 04 January 2018 - 12:06 AM

Thanks for the input, that's about what I have been looking at.

I have two new agm 12v batts in the camper.
and I don't mind starting the pickup to get everything back up to snuff.

this is for occasional use only, in a quick overnight, or tailgating situation.
I just don't want have to drag my generator around with me all the time

Same here. My is only used occasionally usually just to charge things. But I’m digging the idea of a coffee maker now! Ha

Follow My Shenanigans: instagram.com/campermccampface

#37 MattC

MattC

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 04 January 2018 - 01:42 AM

When we moved out of the 93 Pastime, and into the FWC, we needed to make some room, so o ditched the 12 cup, and we picked up this single serve acok machine, (because they work great).

so I just want to be able to run it for 2 or 3 cups without dragging my Honda 2000 or extension cord.

Attached Thumbnails

• 2018-01-03 17.38.10.jpg

Edited by MattC, 04 January 2018 - 01:44 AM.

#38 klahanie

klahanie

• Validating
  • 932 posts
  • LocationSW BC

Posted 04 January 2018 - 03:55 AM

I have a go power 2000 pure sine wave, like the OP was asking about. Picked this brand because it was a local BC co and they had a good reputation. Since then I have seen go power products now installed as oem by some camper builders, fwiw.

For sizing I wanted to replicate the capacity of a std home 15amp receptacle. At first I bought their ~1750 or 1800w model (long discontinued) but immediately returned and upgraded it when I saw the hook up terminals on the 2000 - much more HD imo, plus the overall architecture (?) is shared with the higher output 3000. Plenty of contact surface for power cables, good sized fans, ventilation etc. Plus output can be hardwired to a distribution panel, which is what I did after adding a second 120v circuit to the camper. That said, the GP tech told me the original, smaller unit would have done all that I could have asked of it. And I expect all GP products meet CSA specs/approval, perform to mfr ratings etc, etc.

OK, I'm the first to admit this thing is bigger and heavier than required but I had a dream about repurposing it in an off grid cabin some day ... and I did use it once to cool both the home fridge and deep freezer during a short power outage - had to save the steelhead don't cha know.

True, house batteries will drain quickly at "high" wattage. I wired so that I could also run the inverter off of the truck alternators and I ran a 120v plug into the cab - just like a modern vehicle.

But the sweetest part is the mounting location, too late for the OP,  but it fit perfectly behind the lower cabinet slider.

md3GgxL.jpg

#39 BobM

BobM

• Members
  • 730 posts

Posted 04 January 2018 - 07:30 PM

Most anything is better than Starbucks! :P

and I vote for French Press over the Aeropress because of fewer things to clean! :D

That said, the Aeropress does make impressively good cup 'o coffee.

Thanks for this thread - even tho it's making my head spin. I have a little inverter that plugs into the outlet that I tried to use for my MacBook but it made weird noise, so I stopped using it. In retrospect, it was probably a fan inside of it, but it freaked me out and I'm "better safe than sorry" when it comes to the possibility of electrical fires inside my camper. But I like the idea of tying in a good inverter to the system!

It's funny that you said a French press was easier to clean.  I used to use a French press and it was a lot harder to clean because you had to unscrew the filter and wash each item including the rod and pot.  On the Aero press, all the spent coffee pops out as a puck and a quick rinse.  Takes me longer to wipe the milk off my steamer than to clean the aeropress

#40 hoyden

hoyden

Lady Bug

• Members
  • 1,459 posts
  • LocationCarbondale, IL

Posted 04 January 2018 - 08:54 PM

Oh, I rarely take apart the press part part. Just rinse it off :-)

My mom has an Aeropress (I don't) and it's got a bunch of little parts to clean.

Tho it's been a while since I messed with it, so perhaps there's an easier way.

That all said, I tend to more often use my single cup drip with a biodegradable paper filter. That's easiest! Tho I dislike making trash.

I'd rather have a reusable drip cone. That might be in my future.

I have also thought about getting a stovetop coffee maker

41169ZAI08L._SY300_.jpg

https://no-destination.org/ .:.  https://razorgirls.org/

2014 Tacoma DCLB + 2015 FWC Fleet

As I get braver I get stronger, and as I get stronger I get braver. It’ a good cycle.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users