• Please log in to reply
124 replies to this topic

#11 buckland

buckland

• Members
  • 3,080 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 23 November 2016 - 10:44 PM

JD ... my other nephew (twin brother) just moved to Clark CO up by Steamboat Springs, an environmental Biologist. Teaching up there. My hopes is yet another trip to see him then explore in the following year... All you folks out there in the land of the free... to be able to go into the BLM and Federal lands... and get 'lost' ...what a gift ... we out here ... save the Adirondacks and the North Maine woods have no wilderness left... it is very rural where I live... I can get lost in my woods ...but in a small scale. I am still in awe of the western expanse. I am psyched to plan but love the unexpected.

2016 Duramax 2.8 Diesel long bed Colorado 4WD with 2011 Eagle

Lordwoodcraft  instagram        Rob
The only people who ever get anyplace interesting are the people who get lost.
Henry David Thoreau
"Work to achieve not to acquire"

#12 buckland

buckland

• Members
  • 3,080 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 23 November 2016 - 10:47 PM

Edgewood.... wow thanks ...I am a quiet camper ...wouldn't even know I was there...or we can sit and have a beer. Thanks for the offer. That of course will be a bit in the future. Perhaps ...with luck...we will see you later! 

Henry David Thoreau

#13 buckland

buckland

• Members
  • 3,080 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 23 November 2016 - 10:52 PM

Frank... there is no doubt I will be in touch with all your driving knowledge... Your photos alone felt like I was already on the road. Too bad I gotta get through a New England winter first. That said ... just put up 16 quarts of fresh apple sauce from the orchard next door.... it will do well on the oatmeal with my maple syrup. Hibernation.

Henry David Thoreau

#14 buckland

buckland

• Members
  • 3,080 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 23 November 2016 - 11:08 PM

And the ferry is looking better across Lake Michigan... avoiding what we all hate on the slab. 

http://www.ssbadger....schedule-fares/

Attached Thumbnails

• Screen Shot 2016-11-23 at 5.57.00 PM.jpg

Henry David Thoreau

#15 Fernweh

Fernweh

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 92 posts
  • LocationMadison, Wisconsin

Posted 23 November 2016 - 11:57 PM

Try Token Creek near Madison, Wi for a quick overnight. If not there, travel north of Madison and stay at the large rest area just before the Wisconsin River.

Have a great trip

Jim

2020 Tacoma and FWC Fleet

A craving for travel... to places you have never been.

German Quote

#16 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,296 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 24 November 2016 - 04:29 PM

Frank... there is no doubt I will be in touch with all your driving knowledge... Your photos alone felt like I was already on the road. Too bad I gotta get through a New England winter first. That said ... just put up 16 quarts of fresh apple sauce from the orchard next door.... it will do well on the oatmeal with my maple syrup. Hibernation.

Enjoy winter.I grew up in Pa just outside Philla. Liked winter than but now as a west coaster we are wimps if the temp gets near freezing at home. Your apple sauce and oatmeal sound great.That's our kind of food.

Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#17 buckland

buckland

• Members
  • 3,080 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 25 November 2016 - 08:53 PM

It is looking like the Michigan Lake crossing is the most stressless method and it leaves me in a good point where I travel southwest to get on 90/94 before they split. I am leaning now to take Route 90 through South Dakota so that I can take the 212 cutover coming out at Custer's Battlefield Nat. Mon. and hopping back on 90. I have the All-camps app on the iPad but I am hoping to not have to pay at campsites... I'd be pulling in late and heading out early. Looking for those safe pull offs to sleep. I'll pretty up at the end of the trip before getting the wife at the airport! 

Henry David Thoreau

#18 Foy

Foy

Resident Geologist

• Members
  • 1,295 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

Posted 26 November 2016 - 10:45 AM

FYI the official dates for the 2017 Sturgis Rally are August 4-13.  You may expect very heavy eastbound and southeastward traffic from around the 10th to the 15-17th or so.

Foy

#19 buckland

buckland

• Members
  • 3,080 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 26 November 2016 - 04:28 PM

I have been hearing about that... definitely something I hope to avoid. I am not a lover of noise. I have driven motorcycles for forty seven years. Mine are quiet. Probably come back on 94 to the north or go south through Cincinnati. Thanks for the dates.

Sent from my iPhone using Wander The West

Henry David Thoreau

#20 buckland

buckland

• Members
  • 3,080 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 05 December 2016 - 12:59 AM

Just off the horn with my nephew who captains a boat out of Seward...he lives in Homer. He has just returned from a roundtrip drive to Colorado with a mattress in the back of his Tacoma, pulling a trailer full of family furniture ...long story... He did 11 days down and 6 back... that made me feel better... he said he had plenty of time to find camp... cook meals and unwind...though it was a direct drive. 

It is no longer the road that makes one turn 90ยบ as a monster truck roars by, to protect windshield and lights.... gosh sure do miss those days! (still happens in the North Maine Woods log roads!). We are just outlining the dates at this point. He will send a pdf of the map route and good camp sites which I will pass along. His route was different each way.

I decided to sell the Engel fridge/freezer and buy a Cruise 65 fridge...mostly as my wife wants a front loader. I have to say the Engel has been great and would recommend it. Having spent another evening pouring over maps with spots he suggested... definitely off the beaten track, I will be sure to post.

This is all a deja vu for me as when I was leaving college In 76... I applied for a job teaching in a village in the Brooks range of Alaska.....at the same time I also applied for a job with the American School of Asuncion in Paraguay (American Embassy)... at that point of time in life I had no idea where I was going and at the last minute I went south....for a few years there and from there to Japan for a few years... then England... got married and back in the US of A... Now hopefully back to the Brooks Range.  

It's all a mystery... 

Henry David Thoreau

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users