58 replies to this topic

#21 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,023 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 22 December 2016 - 05:42 PM

I've had poor luck using optima's as deep cycle batteries. I won't use them again in the camper but as starting batteries they work just fine in the Jeep. I go with agm in the camper because they're difficult to access for maintenance and are in too close proximity to delicate electronics. I may go back to flooded in the truck when those die but then again I'm pretty lazy and hate the annual cleaning ritual. 

You're not arguing shore power over solar are you? Just shore power over the alternator?

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#22 Ronin

Ronin

• Members
  • 934 posts
  • LocationPNW

Posted 22 December 2016 - 09:26 PM

This is a real interesting discussion. So many products that are good today go downhill once they're manufactured out of the country. The big problem is we consumers end up with less than what we thought we were getting because the companies don't tell us about  production changes that may compromise the quality of their product. A person could have a great experience with batteries they bought 5-6 years ago and replace them only to find out the new stuff is junk - generally past the warrantee period. That said I'm leaning toward VMAX Tanks 100ah. Seem like it's made to be drained over and over again powering a trolling motor or golf cart type of vehicle. 

2019 Tundra 2019 Panther Shell

#23 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,296 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 22 December 2016 - 10:53 PM

This is a real interesting discussion. So many products that are good today go downhill once they're manufactured out of the country. The big problem is we consumers end up with less than what we thought we were getting because the companies don't tell us about  production changes that may compromise the quality of their product. A person could have a great experience with batteries they bought 5-6 years ago and replace them only to find out the new stuff is junk - generally past the warrantee period. That said I'm leaning toward VMAX Tanks 100ah. Seem like it's made to be drained over and over again powering a trolling motor or golf cart type of vehicle. 

There are several choices depending on the usage. Mine is a RV solar type,don't know what difference there is between their batteries.

One thing I did learn from them was not to over size the Ahs. I was going to get at least a 125 ah or bigger same unit size so no problems to install,but I only have a 105w solar system so a larger than 100ah wouldn't be to any advantage.

My 100ah will work with my system larger ah battery needs larger solar.

If you have questions give them a call. They answered what I needed to know.

Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#24 takesiteasy

takesiteasy

• Members
  • 2,588 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 23 December 2016 - 04:48 AM

One of the main reasons I chose Trojan is that they are made in the USA. They specialize in deep cycle batteries (designed to be deeply discharged and recharged over and over). I chose a sealed AGM battery to be located inside the camper to minimize maintenance and the risk of hydrogen gas discharge.

2011 Tacoma AC TRD
ATC Custom Shell

travelswithrockythedog.blogspot.com

#25 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,968 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 23 December 2016 - 06:09 AM

One thing I did learn from them was not to over size the Ahs. I was going to get at least a 125 ah or bigger same unit size so no problems to install,but I only have a 105w solar system so a larger than 100ah wouldn't be to any advantage.

Frank

Frank,

I'm not sure that there is no advantage to bigger batteries with more AH.  You can go more days between charges, and if you have other means of charging than solar, you can still top them up daily.

#26 camelracer

camelracer

• Members
  • 960 posts
  • LocationGoleta, Ca

Posted 23 December 2016 - 07:35 AM

I got 15 years out of my original Optima red top in my Jeep with zero maintenance. It even sat on the garage floor for 2 years while I was rebuilding the Jeep. The second red top (made in Mexico) lasted 4 years.

2002 Fiat 2500 CTD 4x4, FWC Grandby 1951 Willys CJ3A

#27 Advmoto18

Advmoto18

• Members
  • 1,083 posts
  • LocationCoastal Low Country, SC

Posted 23 December 2016 - 11:13 AM

Without deviating too far from the thread topic...

I think what we're seeing in not only Optima batteries, but a whole range of consumer products, if not the entire consumer spectrum, are companies embracing, planning and engineering the concept of "planned obsolescence" in order to enhance the bottom line.  

I don't necessarily subscribe to the theory that simply because a product is made outside the US borders somehow makes it inferior.  No doubt such is the case in some areas of the world.  Perhaps when Johnson acquired Optima in 2000, Johnson's bean counters went to the engineers and said Optima batteries life span is too long.  We want them to fail around the 5 year mark.  Does that make the Optima battery a bad product today?  I don't think so.  Simply one can't expect it to last as long as the old MADE IN THE USA batteries.

I have a Patagonia Storm Jacket purchased nearly 20 years ago...still going strong, albeit it does exhibit wear.  Good luck getting 3 years of hard core use out of a Patagonia technical wear these days.  Fortunately, my technical apparel does not require batteries!

Edited by Advmoto18, 23 December 2016 - 11:15 AM.

South Carolina Low Country.  

#28 Ronin

Ronin

• Members
  • 934 posts
  • LocationPNW

Posted 23 December 2016 - 05:09 PM

Without deviating too far from the thread topic...

I think what we're seeing in not only Optima batteries, but a whole range of consumer products, if not the entire consumer spectrum, are companies embracing, planning and engineering the concept of "planned obsolescence" in order to enhance the bottom line.  

I don't necessarily subscribe to the theory that simply because a product is made outside the US borders somehow makes it inferior.  No doubt such is the case in some areas of the world.  Perhaps when Johnson acquired Optima in 2000, Johnson's bean counters went to the engineers and said Optima batteries life span is too long.  We want them to fail around the 5 year mark.  Does that make the Optima battery a bad product today?  I don't think so.  Simply one can't expect it to last as long as the old MADE IN THE USA batteries.

I have a Patagonia Storm Jacket purchased nearly 20 years ago...still going strong, albeit it does exhibit wear.  Good luck getting 3 years of hard core use out of a Patagonia technical wear these days.  Fortunately, my technical apparel does not require batteries!

OK, we're really deviating from the subject now. Patagonia's stated mission is to make products that will last hopefully a lifetime so that we're not constantly replacing stuff that adds to the carbon footprint,landfills,etc. They also encourage repairing clothes and gear rather than just tossing it. We like to think by reading reviews,blogs,tests,surveys etc. we can find the best products for our pocketbooks and whatever moral sensibilities we hold. On the subject of batteries, lead is one of the most toxic substances to people and the environment. My preference is to find a battery that will last twice as long than most at a reasonable cost. Hopefully, there's a battery manufacturer out there that wants to make a truly better product for it's consumers with the additional benefit of lessening the environmental impacts. My mission, is to seek out the Patagonia's of the world! (My Patagonia wind shirt was purchased in the mid-90's, fits a little tighter but still going strong ). 

Edited by Ronin, 24 December 2016 - 05:18 PM.

2019 Tundra 2019 Panther Shell

#29 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,023 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 23 December 2016 - 06:06 PM

I tend to believe the lead industry is correct on this one. http://www.ila-lead..../lead-recycling

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#30 DanoT

DanoT

• Members
  • 278 posts
  • LocationSun Peaks, B.C.

Posted 03 January 2017 - 06:48 PM

I am pretty sure that you are not supposed to connect two different types of batteries together but that is what I did for a few seasons with a flooded truck starting battery connected via solenoid to two AGM camper batteries. I don't know if I damaged or affected the lifespan of the AGMs but they don't seem to last all that long between charges. These days I don't use the solenoid connection and instead I charge the AGMs using a generator to run a smart charger.

1991 Dodge CTD, owned since new. 2011 Coyote RV Phoenix pop-up camper, custom made for the Canadian winter.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users