58 replies to this topic

#31 Frosty_1

Frosty_1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 04 January 2017 - 05:20 AM

I put 2 6vlt Lifeline batteries in my Hawk.  Very good batteries with a great reputation.  A bit spendy, but with a charger they should last many years.  I have use a Morningstar charge controller to top them off from Solar.

#32 Ronin

Ronin

• Members
  • 934 posts
  • LocationPNW

Posted 04 January 2017 - 06:09 AM

I put 2 6vlt Lifeline batteries in my Hawk.  Very good batteries with a great reputation.  A bit spendy, but with a charger they should last many years.  I have use a Morningstar charge controller to top them off from Solar.

Yeah, 2 six volts are optimal but twice the cost,weight, and space. I originally was going two 6's with 150 watt or so solar panels, then the whole thing got more spendy and too many options on controllers,etc. I decided to go back to my spartan roots and just enjoy the ride.

2019 Tundra 2019 Panther Shell

#33 MidAtlantic

MidAtlantic

• Members
  • 124 posts
  • LocationColorado Springs & York, UK

Posted 05 January 2017 - 12:57 PM

I guess it's worth cross-referencing again Roads Less Traveled and their excellent tutorials.

FWIW they use Trojans.

http://roadslesstrav...on-wiring-tips/

http://roadslesstrav...rter-converter/

http://roadslesstrav...harging-basics/

#34 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,976 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 05 January 2017 - 06:14 PM

Handybob loves Crown batteries.  If you are in Canada, Rolls/Surrette make great batteries too.

#35 MidAtlantic

MidAtlantic

• Members
  • 124 posts
  • LocationColorado Springs & York, UK

Posted 05 January 2017 - 06:40 PM

Which Morningstar controller is that?

#36 Dogman Ventura

Dogman Ventura

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 05 January 2017 - 10:47 PM

This is what I have in my rig and am very happy with the battery setup.  

Northstar Laredo SC

Chevy 3500 diesel 4x4

Labrador Retriever copilot

#37 Ronin

Ronin

• Members
  • 934 posts
  • LocationPNW

Posted 16 January 2017 - 06:25 PM

I replaced the 6 year old original Interstate AGM 75a with a "vmaxtanks" 100a I think it's a 27 series.

They ship free and I think you get a discount on your first order. The cost was $200 total.

They have a huge selection of batteries and great customer service.

I ordered mine right from the company. No core charge.

Frank

Hi Frank,

I'm going to order a VMAX 100ah battery. Did you go with the SLR or MR series? Are you using a battery box? I'll be able to barely squeeze a 27 series size battery in with a battery box if I cut the handles off. Thanks,

Paul

#38 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,297 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 16 January 2017 - 08:46 PM

Hi Frank,

I'm going to order a VMAX 100ah battery. Did you go with the SLR or MR series? Are you using a battery box? I'll be able to barely squeeze a 27 series size battery in with a battery box if I cut the handles off. Thanks,

Paul

Paul I went with the MR127 100ah. In talking with them they said it would meet my needs.I did get a new box to fit the bigger battery.

I did trim off the box handles so I could get a closer fit.My battery area has enough room for the battery plus some storage.

I had with the camper an Interstate 85ah that is a bit smaller.

Also it fits the size solar I have.

I see the prices have gone up a bit.

Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#39 Ronin

Ronin

• Members
  • 934 posts
  • LocationPNW

Posted 17 January 2017 - 01:08 AM

Paul I went with the MR127 100ah. In talking with them they said it would meet my needs.I did get a new box to fit the bigger battery.

I did trim off the box handles so I could get a closer fit.My battery area has enough room for the battery plus some storage.

I had with the camper an Interstate 85ah that is a bit smaller.

Also it fits the size solar I have.

I see the prices have gone up a bit.

Frank

Yeah- it's going to cost $234.00 with the 10% discount, but no tax,free shipping, and no core charge. I spoke to someone at VMAX and he recommended the SLR series but his explanation didn't make any sense to me. I told him I wanted a dedicated deep cycle battery solely to power my fridge,lights,etc and it would be charged by my truck alternator. In the end he said either would work fine. I'll go with the MR127 since it's been working for you. Thanks a lot!!

#40 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,297 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 17 January 2017 - 05:06 PM

Paul I don't know what the real difference is between the two but the MR series seems to be a good one for RVs solar.

The price has gone up about $25 since I bought mine last June.

Still a good buy.

Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users