• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#11 XJINTX

XJINTX

• Members
  • 552 posts
  • LocationEddy, TX

Posted 23 December 2016 - 12:33 PM

Camelracer, I think you may have a solution. I too am having same issue. Seems like if I turn on and off a few times it works as desired. I will spray contact cleaner today.

#12 nikonron

nikonron

• Members
  • 578 posts
  • Locationowensboro,ky

Posted 23 December 2016 - 02:39 PM

PM sent, putting it in the mail today.  Ron

#13 Stalking Light

Stalking Light

Feral Grandpa

• Members
  • 1,481 posts
  • LocationLand of grits and gravy

Posted 23 December 2016 - 03:28 PM

The porch light switch in my 2014 Eagle went bad and I replaced it with a rocker switch I got at Radio Shack.

Charlie...
Stalking Light
2014 FWC Eagle on 2015 Tacoma Quad Cab Long Bed

#14 pawleyk

pawleyk

• Members
  • 190 posts
  • LocationReno Nevada

Posted 23 December 2016 - 06:40 PM

Thanks for all the tips guys, I'll put them all to use as soon as we get back to Mexico. I didn't have and couldn't find any other lights to try out in the socket, so even if the bulb isn't the issue it will be a huge help to get Nikonron's for diagnostics and backup.

If this is the only issue we have with our Grandby, I'd say we're doing just fine. :)

https://www.instagram.com/kp.pawley/

A farm boy and a Chevy truck take a long drive.

KI7AMV

#15 longhorn1

longhorn1

Ouch, that stings!

• Members
  • 2,826 posts
  • LocationCarmel, Indiana

Posted 23 December 2016 - 09:08 PM

Do you just spray the switch from the outside or do you have to take the cover off?  Where do you get contact cleaner?  I'm not mechanically minded so I need the A-D instructions.  Thanks,  jd

http://texaslonghorns01.blogspot.com/

Ford F-250 Long bed, 2014 Grandby

#16 camelracer

camelracer

• Members
  • 960 posts
  • LocationGoleta, Ca

Posted 24 December 2016 - 07:48 AM

Do you just spray the switch from the outside or do you have to take the cover off?  Where do you get contact cleaner?  I'm not mechanically minded so I need the A-D instructions.  Thanks,  jd

I believe I sprayed the switch from both the top and bottom. You could just try spraying from the exterior to see if that works. I got my contact cleaner at Radio Shack years ago but you can also get it from Amazon or most electronics stores.

2002 Fiat 2500 CTD 4x4, FWC Grandby 1951 Willys CJ3A

#17 Old Crow

Old Crow

Searching....

• Members
  • 1,059 posts
  • LocationSouth Central PA

Posted 24 December 2016 - 05:28 PM

The cover should come off pretty easily and there may be other things an owner will want to do. This thread prompted me to go see whether mine is still doing ok, so I went ahead and took a few photos while checking it....

First the overview (on this rainy morning)...

HawkPorchLight.jpg  

I took this next one to show the tabs that hold the lens on.  The tabs showed up better with the photo taken from the back side of the lens.  I removed the lens by pushing up with my thumbs near that lower tab, swinging it out, then dropping it down a bit to lift it out.  (Possible complication: mine didn't have sealant around the lens but others may.  I really should seal mine given how dusty that area gets).

HawkPorchLtLens.jpg

And here's a view of the switch showing the quick-disconnect connectors.

HawkPorchLtSwitch.jpg

And here's the socket.  At the bottom of that socket is a disc with a spring behind it. And in the center of the disc is a contact.  For the photo (and for cleaning), I pushed on the wire to push the contact out of the disc to make it more accessible.

HawkPorchLtSocketWire.jpg

Other notes:

1. My 2001 porch light had an amber lens and I replaced it (the lens) with the clear one from Camping World earlier this year.  I also replaced the incandescent bulb with an LED one (also from Camping World).

2. In the past, I've had problems with mine turning on reliably. While doing the lens and bulb change,  I took the switch quick-connectors apart (carefully!) and cleaned them up with contact spray and sandpaper, then added some silicone dielectric grease before assembling.  Same with the bulb contacts. I also sprayed contact cleaner liberally into the switch from above and below.  I can now reliably turn on the porch light (but the switch doesn't always work the first time).

3. While I'm here, I thought I'd attach this info on incandescent bulbs that may be in a porch light fixture. For example, I see some replacement porch light fixtures use a 1003 bulb and some say an "1141/1156" bulb.  The chart helps us understand the differences.

Edited by Old Crow, 24 December 2016 - 05:36 PM.

'01 FWC Hawk shell on a '13 Tundra Double-Cab  + '19 Ford Transit van with Quigley 4x4 option

#18 PaulT

PaulT

Need gumbo

• Members
  • 2,612 posts
  • LocationHillsboro, Oregon

Posted 25 December 2016 - 04:34 AM

I used LED replacement for 1156 style bulbs in the porch & awning light similar to these. http://shop.ledwhole...&product_id=288

From the chart above, two 1156 incandescent bulbs use about the same power as my Dometic fridge. :(

Paul
I thought getting old would take longer.

#19 Advmoto18

Advmoto18

• Members
  • 1,083 posts
  • LocationCoastal Low Country, SC

Posted 25 December 2016 - 01:25 PM

3. While I'm here, I thought I'd attach this info on incandescent bulbs that may be in a porch light fixture. For example, I see some replacement porch light fixtures use a 1003 bulb and some say an "1141/1156" bulb.  The chart helps us understand the differences.

Here's an illustration of each type of common bulb (auto/rv (incandescent and LED)) along with the type of socket.

South Carolina Low Country.  

#20 Old Crow

Old Crow

Searching....

• Members
  • 1,059 posts
  • LocationSouth Central PA

Posted 25 December 2016 - 03:29 PM

<snip>

It is an amber LED, one of those flat paddle looking ones. It doesn't have the same connector as the bulbs on the inside, however. It uses a standard, old-school RV socket.

<snip>

Has anybody figured out what the 'flat paddle looking' bulb is?  I've not seen one.  A Gold Stars 11568305 looks paddle-shaped, has the right base, and is marketed as an RV bulb but I've not found an amber version.  Am I on the right track? 

'01 FWC Hawk shell on a '13 Tundra Double-Cab  + '19 Ford Transit van with Quigley 4x4 option

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users