• Please log in to reply
72 replies to this topic

#1 park

park

• Members
  • 381 posts
  • LocationWickenburg, Arizona

Posted 10 January 2017 - 07:23 AM

I've now had my Fleet for 2.5 years and have probably spent well over 200 nights in it.  The stock mattress finally had to go.  Thing was simply too hard for me. Can't believe I lasted this long.  I got a mattress from IKEA and am headed out for another week or so to give it a test run.  Doesn't quite fill the entire area after removing the original but I'm planning on utilizing the area along the mattress for storage.  Currently looking for some boxes that will fit the area.  Figured at night I could use it to store chapstick, reading glasses, flashlight, weapon, etc.  Was wondering if anyone else has used something from IKEA as well.  I'll report back with my findings.

http://www.ikea.com/...ducts/30315876/

Blogsite:  http://www.nowhereto...ur.blogspot.com

https://www.facebook.com/parkkitchings

Instagram Account @parkkitchings

#2 buckland

buckland

• Members
  • 3,079 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 10 January 2017 - 01:11 PM

I feel your pain...or used to.

I replaced mine after a long search/research. I replaced the 4 x 6 ft cushion as the couch cushions I use 2 at head and 2 at foot. I need the cushion replaced where my torso/back/hips were. It was an incredible difference. Feels like a regular bed now.

http://www.wanderthe...attress-update/

Here is the replacement ($200)

Attached Thumbnails

• Screen Shot 2017-01-10 at 8.08.38 AM.png

2016 Duramax 2.8 Diesel long bed Colorado 4WD with 2011 Eagle

Lordwoodcraft  instagram        Rob
The only people who ever get anyplace interesting are the people who get lost.
Henry David Thoreau
"Work to achieve not to acquire"

#3 DavidGraves

DavidGraves

• Members
  • 1,267 posts

Posted 10 January 2017 - 03:17 PM

Howdy

We sleep one up and one down and routinely use our Rubbermaid boxes as a sort of bedside table....two in the upper bed never worked well in our Hawk.

DavidGraves 

#4 BobM

BobM

• Members
  • 730 posts

Posted 10 January 2017 - 03:48 PM

I replaced the foam in mine, made a huge difference

Sent from my SM-G930V using Wander The West mobile app

#5 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,589 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 10 January 2017 - 03:54 PM

The stock mattress finally had to go.  Thing was simply too hard for me. Can't believe I lasted this long.  

Park, keep us posted. My old bones scream for comfort as well...

I am haunted by waters

#6 rando

rando

• Members
  • 1,638 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 10 January 2017 - 04:52 PM

Does anyone know when FWC changed the foam they are using for the mattress?   We have a 2016 Fleet, and the mattress is pretty good, albeit still a little firm, leading to sore hips after a couple of days.   A 1" topper helped some, but it is still not perfect.   For those of you who are upgrading the foam, are you upgrading from the older 'harder than tungsten' mattress, or are you upgrading from the newer 'firmer than an unripe avocado' mattress?   I am trying to figure out if these upgrades are an improvement over the newer mattress.

2016 Fleet Flatbed

2016 Toyota Tacoma

#7 buckland

buckland

• Members
  • 3,079 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 10 January 2017 - 05:11 PM

Mine  was 2011 Eagle foam (like a rock).. The attachment above gives the density of the new foam I installed .... very important numbers... that its how you tell the firmness of mattress ... You can ask FWC or.... go through the thread linked above and read it ... I believe I posted the FWC info on density and I went to a mattress manufacturer and tried out the different densities. The one I selected is still firm but it allows hip to sink in or back to contour. No issues thereafter. Check the density.

Edited by buckland, 10 January 2017 - 05:12 PM.

Henry David Thoreau

#8 Bombsight

Bombsight

• Members
  • 721 posts
  • LocationS.E. Texas

Posted 10 January 2017 - 05:46 PM

I'm thinking about cutting mine down the middle and installing 2" memory foam on top of factory foam .... then have an upholstery shop sew in some black vinyl to make up the height difference. This will allow me to install a short 16" high "wall" down the middle (stored under mattress when not in use), front to rear. I'm weird about anyone other than a woman sleeping so close to me. :wacko:

Anyone sleep front to rear in their side dinette Hawk? I haven't done it yet.

#9 buckland

buckland

• Members
  • 3,079 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 10 January 2017 - 05:58 PM

I'm thinking about cutting mine down the middle and installing 2" memory foam on top of factory foam .... then have an upholstery shop sew in some black vinyl to make up the height difference. This will allow me to install a short 16" high "wall" down the middle (stored under mattress when not in use), front to rear. I'm weird about anyone other than a woman sleeping so close to me. :wacko:

Anyone sleep front to rear in their side dinette Hawk? I haven't done it yet.

They used to call those "bundling boards" tho their use was to keep the men and ladies separated in shared beds while visiting. Quant. I as well can't sleep in a shared bed unless it is the mrs. we were raised that way as men. (Both parents were born and raised in Ireland)

Sent from my iPhone using Wander The West

Henry David Thoreau

#10 Squatch

Squatch

• Members
  • 1,281 posts
  • LocationOn the wrong side of the mountains!

Posted 10 January 2017 - 06:00 PM

Lately I've been using 2 REI 3.5" self inflating mattresses. It's a whole lot better than the factory mattress and store better as well. Before I installed them I cut a piece of 1/2" blue rigid foam to fill the gap when the extension is pulled out. Now I no longer have the bump at my hips and the insulation value is great in cold weather.

002%20Small_zpshty7buov.jpg

I use a couple of 4"x4" strips cut from a block of memory foam to fill the gaps at the edge since this pic was taken.

007%20Small_zpsaj3cpkga.jpg

008%20Small_zpsmynuxwqk.jpg

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Mattress, FWC

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users