Photo

Just Bought a Vintage Alaskan 8' NCO and I Have Tons of Questions!

• Please log in to reply
67 replies to this topic

#1 Grrlartist

Grrlartist

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 11 January 2017 - 02:20 AM

snow_small.jpg

<<more photos on page 2>>>

I recently purchased a vintage Alaskan 8' NCO camper. No title, and the seller didn't even know it was an Alaskan. He had only owned it for a few months, but from all appearances the previous owner took pretty good care of it. The interior is in decent shape and has what appears to be the original seat cushions in very good shape. Rather than having a table top that becomes the base of the bed, each cushion has a thin piece of plywood in the back, and the cushions lie across steel tubes to form the bed. There's no table or any indication of brackets for a tabletop. Lower cabinets are a pale color that I would describe as ash (?), not sure if it's a veneer or possibly even a really nice laminate. Upper cabinets are birch, as are the walls and (I think) the ceiling. Ceiling has been covered with white vinyl that doesn't appear to be original, but was very carefully applied. The cabinet for the icebox and wardrobe has been painted a sort of yellow/lime green that doesn't look quite as weird as it sounds. Upholstery is an abstract dark blue green and yellow, very bold and rather 70's looking. The appliances are slightly different shades of dark blue, but they look original as well. Everything about this camper looks 1970's or late 60's.

I've been trying to figure out a date, but have not found anything so far. The windows are horizontal sliders with a fixed center panel. Every advrtising picture I've seen suggests this was a new window style in 1970.

So, for those questions.......

Edited by Grrlartist, 12 January 2017 - 07:56 PM.

#2 Linda N

Linda N

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 11 January 2017 - 02:23 AM

Congratulations on your new camper.  Sounds like a great find.  There are a number of folks who follow this forum who can help with your questions.  A great  group.  Look forward to the pictures.

#3 Grrlartist

Grrlartist

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 11 January 2017 - 02:34 AM

1) The hydraulics do all work, but the back comes up more slowly, and I haven't gotten it to extend fully, though the seller did (he had to push the back half up and I don't have the strength to force it). This makes me think I need to repair/rebuild the hydraulics? He insisted if the truck was sitting perfectly level the roof would raise perfectly, but I got it pretty close to level and it still dragged in the back. I didn't want to force the issue and possibly do damage. What's my next move?

2) Speaking of getting it perfectly level, is that critical for getting the roof to go up? It kind of makes sense to me that it would be important just to reduce the strain on everything, but I'm not sure.

3) The door handle is there, but the locking cylinder is missing. I thought this meant that the door would not lock, but somehow, the first day I had it, I managed to lock myself out. LOL! I got in by removing the upper door glass to access the tube that lets you open the upper when the lower door is shut. Weirdly, though, that did not work to open the door. Eventually I stuck a long thin rod into the lock and it popped open. It hasn't happened again, but I wasn't able to figure out how I tripped the lock in the first place. So ~ do I need to take it to a locksmith to get the cylinder replaced, or should I just buy one of those replacement handles that I saw on one of the vintage supply sites? 

Thanks for reading my excessively long post, I am just excited and as you can see, full of questions! I am pretty handy but not a mechanic by any means.

Oh, yeah, one more question ~ I saw in one of the other threads comparative weights of different models, and it showed the 8' NCO as being about 800 lbs. for a utility version and 1250 for a custom. What's the difference in the two models?

Thanks!

Jo

#4 Grrlartist

Grrlartist

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 11 January 2017 - 02:38 AM

Thanks Linda, I am pretty psyched! the seller had it listed as "slide-in pop-up camper" and he thought it was made in 1999. I think this is why it didn't sell instantly. I had not had it home for one day before a passerby stopped to ask me excitedly if it was an Alaskan because he'd never seen one in person (!). Somewhere along it;'s life, somebody had removed all the badging on it. I've got a couple pictures that I will post.

#5 Oryguntroutbum

Oryguntroutbum

• Members
  • 396 posts
  • LocationCentral Oregon

Posted 11 January 2017 - 02:54 AM

Congrats on the purchase. The tables were never intended to be used on the bed from the factory. They actually attached to the ceiling with some brackets and a brass compression knob. Makes sense that you would not be able to see those brackets if the original ceiling has been covered.

The top should go up and down regardless of it being level. Probably best to change out o-rings and fluid. It's not that scary and there are several threads available.

Additional things to check would be the Pirelli seals on both the top and bottom portions. They tend to only last about 5 years ago and then will degrade. They are a must have for keeping wet and cold out.

With the windows you are describing I would think your camper is from the 70's.

Good luck.
2014 Dodge 2500 4x4, Cummins TD2021 FWC Hawk<p>

#6 Grrlartist

Grrlartist

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 11 January 2017 - 03:15 AM

Thanks Troutbum! I was hoping that perfect level was not required for lifting the roof, just because sometimes it isn't easy to achieve. Like I said, the previous owner did not even know the camper was an Alaskan, and I don't think he owned it for very long. I had seen there are discussions of changing o-rings and fluid, I will delve into that soon.

Also, does anybody know how many emblems should be on the camper? I saw sets of 3 emblems for sale on EBay, but I'm not sure where they would go. I see where one emblem should be on the passenger side, and I would assume above the back door from photos I have seen, but is there supposed to be a third? Would it go on the driver's side?

#7 dakeddie

dakeddie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 11 January 2017 - 07:04 PM

I'm my friend's camper, the table is in fact used to support the bed and it looks very much factory.  In his camper, there is no other provision to store the table.  So you either have it as a table, with seating, or you have a bed.

I also know of an Alaskan where the table is stored vertically against the front wall effectively blocking the window so you can't use your rear view mirror.

In my camper, the table is stored on the ceiling and I have hardwood slats to bridge the gap between the two seats.  I think this is the most common, but I'm pretty new the Alaskan game myself.

You will find that no two Alaskans are the same, each was a custom build.

For the raising level problem, you might try lubricating the slides before you replace the orings.

#8 PackRat

PackRat

• Members
  • 680 posts
  • LocationNovato, CA

Posted 11 January 2017 - 07:17 PM

The Alaskans are a breed unto themselves....with that comes different issues than some campers have. In no particular order here:

1) The vinyl interior roof may be cosmetic or may be to hide the common stains that the original wood gets from leakage. That should be addressed ASAP. You will find threads here about using a butyl sealing where the roof vent is attached and at the front/rear trim as well as the windows. This is a common problem after 30+ years of heat/shrinkage of the original sealant.

2) Preventative Maintenance might include changing the "O-rings" on each of the four hydraulic lifts...again, you can find a "How-To" here for that as well.

3) The water tank/piping/pump all may need cleaning and possibly a new hand-pump or rebuild.....read up on that also.

4) Check the sink drain plumbing and discharge hose as well.

5) The "ice-box" is probably just that: you carry ice (check the drain again!) or water frozen in milk jugs or "Blue Ice" or something.

6) The stove is propane and you need a tank for that. If you have an original tank it may need recertification or a "Get Out Of Jail Free" card if it can't be fitted with a modern valve.

7) You may have gotten two wire-crank-up three legged jacks. Be VERY careful in loading or unloading as balance is everything. After while you may opt for four corner jacks but you'd need a friend to help with that also....slow is the key word here.

8) The original Pirelli seals probably are shot...that keeps cold air/bugs from entering between the top and bottom side walls...

9) Last but not least: The wiring on the Alaskan is unique, it can be set up for 12 volt or 120 but it has 12 volt wiring for the running lights as well. Read up and if you are electrically challenged, ask a friend to look at the diagrams here to help sort it out. Sometimes just proper grounding is all you need.

Sounds like a lot...but they were built well back in The Day.....that being said, dry rot is the worse enemy of an Alaskan!

Recover the cushions if they are OK and maybe get a 2" memory foam topper or buy new foam rubber and make new cushions. Be sure it has enough "cush" so you aren't laying on mostly plywood!

Edited by PackRat, 11 January 2017 - 07:41 PM.

1988 Ford F-250 HD Lariat 4x4 8 Ft. bed

1976 Alaskan 8 Ft. CO camper

#9 Grrlartist

Grrlartist

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 11 January 2017 - 09:00 PM

Thanks thanks thanks for the insights! I managed to get the roof mostly up today. I notice what is happening is that if I just use the jack, the front goes up and the back trails it by 4 or 5 inches. If I keep adjusting the back as I go by manually lifting, I can get it pretty much to the top. As long as the back is only an inch or two lower than the front, I can lift it pretty easily and then it will stay in place. Obviously not how I want to leave it, but it does let me get inside to work on and inspect other things.

Also, I found a date on the inside of the icebox that says "installed and inspected January 2, 1969". I know that doesn't absolutely date the camper, but between that and the window style, it seems like it was made sometime during 1969 or maybe '70 (the first ads I have seen for the sliding windows are dates 1970)?

Oh yeah, and I do have what I think is the original propane tank, which is the normal height but skinnier. I'm hoping my propane guy can read the past certifications to give me a likely date of manufacture.

Also, on the back of the camper there is a State of California tag with the following info (in parenthesis is the printed info, not in parens is the stamped info) : (M) 97 (S) 717 (PLG) X (HTG) X (EL) (D)19672. Any thoughts on what any of this means? Right next to it is an Recreational Coach and Equipmnt Association tag that has places for serial number and manufacturer, but it's blank.

Have I mentioned how grateful I am for finding this forum? What a fantastic source of info, thanks everybody!  

Edited by Grrlartist, 11 January 2017 - 09:02 PM.

#10 Rusty

Rusty

• Members
  • 931 posts
  • LocationPort Angeles, Washington

Posted 11 January 2017 - 09:06 PM

Well, congratulations....I can see your prepared to get your hands dirty already...very good

first things first.....It's much cheaper to get a new lock from vintage with new keys...the square shaft will fit into the interior portion of the existing lock

the camper doesn't have to be perfectly level to operate the jacks....it does make things a bit easier but not at all necessary....like has been said already..be prepared to replace the o-rings first...that will set a start date for you..as they have to be replaced periodically. Brian at Alaskan can help you with the o-rings...small diameter cylinders is probably what you have.

pirelli replacement will probably be on your list too....it helps keep dust and wind out during travel and keeps things a bit warmer when  your out winter camping

interior photos will assist with the appx dating but it does look like an early 70's...it sounds like someone has already "adjusted" the interior...that happens

The table top does come in handy....and it does serve as a bed platform on the side dinette configurations...not on the forward dinette....periodically you will see them...and salvage campers have them....so keep your eyes peeled

emblems are one of those things that were applied as the particular manufacturer chose...typically there were 3 on the nco'...one on each side forward edge and one on the door......cab overs have an additional one on the front of the CO upper section...but not all have them there..again it seems to have been a MFR's perogative

I'll second pack rats #7....cable jacks.....as soon as you can...replace them with corner jacks...reico titans or similar..atwood made some, Bock made some with square block drives as well.....just be extremely careful with them...the jack support shelf isn't quite wide enough to provide good stability...

Photos will reveal the wood type...

again...congratulations...and welcome

Edited by Rusty, 12 January 2017 - 04:33 PM.

2003 Ford 250 Superduty Crew.... 7.3L PowerStroke diesel 1970 10" NCO Alaskan Firestone airbags pulling a 18' Silver Streak runabout

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users