n2Jeepin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts
  • LocationBoise, ID

Posted 18 January 2017 - 08:34 PM

Hi all, New User..

Saturday after next (1-28-17) I am ordering a Hawk Front Dinette down in Woodland CA.  This camper is going in the back of a new 2016 F250 Diesel crew cab with a camper package.

I am from Nor cal and will be using the hawk in the sierras, the trinity alps,  on the coast.  Family camping mostly and when I retire (7 years) do a lot of fishing where ever I want.

List of options I have in mind: 

jacks, 160w roof solar, 130liter fridge, furnace, hot water heater, 2 roof vents with fans, side awning, yakima tracks, rear wall steps, rear flood light, led lighting, 2 batteries, flush mount sink/stove

My questions are these:

• What Options do you have that you really don't use?  
  • Likewise what options do not have that you wished you had?
  • What UnDocumented Options are there?
  • Any other constructive advice is welcomed.

Thank you in advance

n2jeepin

2016 F250 XL, Crew Cab, Power Stroke, 50 gallon transferflow replacement tank
2017 FWC Hawk Front Dinette, Silver Spur Interior, King Bed, Dual Fantastic Fans, Roof Solar

#2 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,296 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 18 January 2017 - 09:34 PM

Your list of "wanted" options looks good.If it fits your needs great.

We have an ATC Bobcat that's similarly equipped,and feel we have all needed.

All I see missing are the roof lifters,more and more owners are going with them.

They work great and as we age they work even better.

There are other types of roof assist but IMO these work the best and you don't have to find a place to store them.

Good luck and hope your wait isn't very long.

Welcome to the "cult"

Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#3 Bill D

Bill D

• Members
  • 981 posts
  • LocationEdmonton, Alberta, Canada

Posted 18 January 2017 - 09:36 PM

Everybody has different needs.  I bought a used Hawk that was pretty loaded up.

What it has that I don't use or rarely use:

-Rear wall steps

I have never used them and I will never use them.

If you are 7 years from retirement, you are likely better off putting that money towards a lightweight telescopic ladder.

-Hot water with outdoor shower

I've used it 2X in 2 years

If you plan on doing more remote camping then it may be of more value to you

-Rear flood light

My camper doesn't have it, but I don't miss it

I have a 7 pin Blazer back-up light $20 that I can plug in if I need light backing into a campsite

https://www.walmart....-Light/15111216

-Yakima Tracks and Rack

-I haven't used them yet and I don't think the previous owner used them either

Things that I use and love

-furnace (wouldn't go without it)

-arctic pack (wouldn't go with out it - I live in Canada and winter camp)

-130 liter fridge (love it)

-solar (I only have 1 panel - seems to work for me, but I drive every day while camping)

-battery (I only have 1 battery and it meets my needs as well, only because I drive daily) 

-stove (I don't have the flush mount and I don't care)

-1 roof vent with fantastic fan (I'm happy with one vent, I wouldn't want 2)

the fan on the 3 speed model spins way too fast on the lowest setting - I never use it other than when cooking)

if living in a hot climate and using it for cooling I would want more control of the fan - some members have done mods)

Things I wish I had

-Awning

I know I would use this all the time

I made my own with a tarp, but set-up takes a bit of time

-external gas shock lifter helpers

I have 2 internal lifters.  I would want 4 external lifters especially with 2 solar panels or if you plan on putting anything on the roof.

Edited by Bill D, 18 January 2017 - 09:45 PM.

#4 smlobx

smlobx

Lost again

• Members
  • 1,529 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 18 January 2017 - 09:57 PM

N2jeepin-
I outfitted my Hallmark much like your Hawk except I left off the ladder and the roof rack as I didn't see myself climbing up there.
I also added a fishing rod rack to the ceiling inside so I could keep my rods at the ready if I happen to come across an interesting stretch of water.

Eddie
KO4CPL

Travel light. Travel far. Travel safe.

#5 strayDog

strayDog

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts
  • LocationNorthern Calif

Posted 18 January 2017 - 09:58 PM

Have them put patches over the rivets on the front and back of the vinyl pop up. They are supposed to put caulking in the hole on the rivets but if they don't put enough the holes will cut into your top.

You may not need two fans, I seldom use mine and it takes up valuable space on top that you might want for another solar panel. You can always add it later if you need it.

Make sure to have it set up (extra solar plug) so you can add a portable solar panel later.

Wish I would have had the satellite antenna installed and the goose neck reading lamp if they still offer it.

I really enjoy the cassette head but you do have to give up an air conditioner that would go in the window where the head is.

I have the awning and it is great; however, would take a good look at the bat wing. It wasn't offered in 2013 when I got mine. 

Make sure you have a good fit around your windows. The plastic shrinks in the cold and expands in the heat, but even in the cold you want to make certain the plastic window secures to the Velcro nicely.

Outside shower is very nice.

The arctic pack is worth its weight in Gold, in my opinion.

If I think of anything else will add it later.

Good luck!    * Consider batteries with a higher amp hour capacity, it will make it easier to keep them charged up.

* Know your Battery State of Charge Chart so you don't damage the batteries.

Edited by strayDog, 18 January 2017 - 10:05 PM.

#6 nikonron

nikonron

• Members
  • 578 posts
  • Locationowensboro,ky

Posted 18 January 2017 - 11:42 PM

I'm pretty sure the gas lift struts are now standard equipment.  Ron

#7 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,023 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 18 January 2017 - 11:45 PM

You'll always find someone that doesn't like or need what you find invaluable but there are some fairly universal likes. Heater gets a big thumbs up from most. Flood lights are okay but I'd leave them off if you're trying to save a little money. I find myself using the outside shower more and more. I'm always amazed when I see people leave off water and a stove. Even if it was solely used for making coffee the stove would be worth it (mine not the flush mount, I guess thats nice but I wouldn't pay extra for it). Compressor fridge is awesome although that makes the second battery a very worthwhile option. Two fans? It sounds nice but I've never really found myself wishing I had one.

I"m sure you'll be happy no matter how you outfit it :)

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#8 Wallowa

Wallowa

Double Ought

• Members
  • 2,173 posts
  • LocationNE Oregon

Posted 19 January 2017 - 12:20 AM

Lots of "opinions", as it should be....ours is a pretty optioned out '16 Hawk

Some carry loads on the top of the Hawk, they must clear the solar panel and come off when lifting top up during set-up...my Yaktrak is great for mounting the solar panel [also have the portable plug in panel] but I prefer compactness and keeping weight low to limit roll and increase clearance [our Sept trip to Utah off road required slotting under overhanging veg and rock], so my sea kayak et al may eventually go on an AT trailer...steps on back wall require "grade 10A' climbing skills but I have them to access roof [using sling steps tied between them] for snow removal...a ladder to access the roof must be stored somewhere [space and weight are limiters in FWCs] so I use the steps...flood lights as I recall pull several amps and I could never figure out how I would use them so did not order [also I don't like to light up the night when camping]...I did however order LED side and down lights for setting up after dark; but again a headlamps works for that as well..

We use both vents with fans they are great....I believe sliding front window is not now offered; too bad, with a slider in our Tundra we could access the truck cab....outside shower is also a big plus if you have a good water source for re-filling the tank...

We prefer the side dinette with just the two of us...more storage and convenience for us...personal choice.  Not certain of the layout of the sink/stove you plan to order...but having the stove under the window is great for venting fumes in conjunction with the fan..thermal pak works and saves propane and keeps interior cooler in summer...

Our Hawk is a delight to use and very well made...our goal is to keep it light weight with CG low and fully capable of off road / rough road prowling....depending on your plans the use of jacks should be reviewed..our camper is on to stay...where the truck goes so goes the Hawk...I bought the jacks [still in packages at home] but do not want to carry the extra weight and more importantly do not want them hanging out to the sides of the Hawk snagging veg or rock....I have seen the damage that can do...

NorCal?  You mentioned the Trinity Alps  [to me the alps are the wilderness area] so perhaps you are not a SanFran person posing as a NorCal resident  :D ..I lived worked in Humbug @ HSU for 25+ years..

In any event you will love the Hawk and your truck sounds like an excellent choice...ENJOY!  ;)

Phil

Yes, we have the side awning and highly recommend it and the compressor 130 liter fridge..

Edited by Wallowa, 19 January 2017 - 12:23 AM.

#9 n2Jeepin

n2Jeepin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts
  • LocationBoise, ID

Posted 19 January 2017 - 12:30 AM

My conclusions so far, Rear wall steps are no longer on my list. I thought about the batwing but prefer an awning that's has a hard cover, so probably stay with side awning, Flush mount sink/stove for extra counter room, Gonna stay with 2 fans as I like to sleep to a fan and it's hot here in the valley. But. I do have a new question about the thermal pack. At what temperature do you find it useful? I never even considered it until reading a few comments above.

Edited by n2Jeepin, 19 January 2017 - 12:34 AM.

2016 F250 XL, Crew Cab, Power Stroke, 50 gallon transferflow replacement tank
2017 FWC Hawk Front Dinette, Silver Spur Interior, King Bed, Dual Fantastic Fans, Roof Solar

#10 97grandby

97grandby

• Members
  • 264 posts

Posted 19 January 2017 - 12:41 AM

With out knowing how many people will be camping at one time, I would want a front dinette if I was going to get a new Camper. I go with DrJ on the wtw camping a lot and he seems to have much more room in his grandby then I do with mine. Much better use of space and you get a lot more counter space as well. 

"Overkill is under rated" 

my Grandby upgrades--http://www.wanderthe...-to-me-grandby/

http://www.truckcamp...g-family-earth/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users