105 replies to this topic

#21 Wallowa

Wallowa

Double Ought

• Members
  • 2,173 posts
  • LocationNE Oregon

Posted 19 January 2017 - 03:52 PM

Space is tight in our campers, and for that reason I have gone without water heaters in both of the campers we have purchased. We just heat water on the stove for dishes and bathing.

Sage,

Interesting...how does not having the FWC water heater give the camper more space?  Does that give you an additional outside storage box?

Thanks,

Phil

#22 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,594 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 19 January 2017 - 04:54 PM

Sage,

Interesting...how does not having the FWC water heater give the camper more space?  Does that give you an additional outside storage box?

Thanks,

Phil

Additional cabinet space inside. As I recall, the 2013 Grandby had the outside box, but you lost cabinet space if you ordered a water heater.

Just as an aside, we rarely use the WH in the travel trailer. It's just easier to heat water on the stove for bathing and dishes. The shower in the TT is lovingly referred to as the utility closet.

I am haunted by waters

#23 wi_hawk

wi_hawk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts
  • LocationGB, WI

Posted 19 January 2017 - 04:58 PM

I MO,

Thermo package, yes, as for noted reasons stated, also keeps interior a few shade darker during the day.

Vents, my Hawk order included fantastic fan and vent, put fan over galley area, I ended up installing extra fan over gallery area to make lowering top easier.

Hot Water Tank, it gives you an extra 5 gals of water so I opted out of that, have just used a kettle to heat water, more storage space inside, does not change the outside.

Ref, ordered the ac/dc (waco) unit, one size back then, with dual batteries, 3way works best when level, a lot of times its not always level.

Any other items are up users choice, with a 3/4 ton truck you won't have any problems on loading it up or packing it with goodies.

Have a good time when you get the Hawk and Happy Trails To You

Sent from my SM-T560NU using Wander The West mobile app

#24 RC Pilot Jim

RC Pilot Jim

• Members
  • 1,544 posts
  • LocationSan Diego Calif

Posted 19 January 2017 - 07:33 PM

Thanks Super Doody for your comments

I will check with FWC and consider upgrading to exterior struts  :o

Jim

Retired from truck camping June 2021

Our Basic Eagle/Fleet Shell Build

#25 kmcintyre

kmcintyre

• Members
  • 1,385 posts
  • LocationBoise, ID

Posted 19 January 2017 - 09:24 PM

We didn't get ours new and wish we had the higher roof.  I think you can get it made 6" higher.  We had the vinyl, etc. redone a few years ago and I should have asked then :-(

Boise, ID

2022 Chevy 3500 HD

2023 FWC Flatbed Hawk

#26 Bill D

Bill D

• Members
  • 981 posts
  • LocationEdmonton, Alberta, Canada

Posted 19 January 2017 - 09:33 PM

We didn't get ours new and wish we had the higher roof.  I think you can get it made 6" higher.  We had the vinyl, etc. redone a few years ago and I should have asked then :-(

This is not an option that FWC normally offers.  They did it for someone 6'8" tall and have refused to do it for others since then.  Perhaps if they get enough requests they will make it an option, but my guess is they sigh every time someone asks about it.

#27 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,594 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 19 January 2017 - 09:36 PM

This is not an option that FWC normally offers.  They did it for someone 6'8" tall and have refused to do it for others since then.  Perhaps if they get enough requests they will make it an option, but my guess is they sigh every time someone asks about it.

Talk to Marty and Jeff at ATC. They gave me a 2 inch taller ceiling in the new Bobcat.

I am haunted by waters

#28 Ukeejohn

Ukeejohn

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 19 January 2017 - 09:36 PM

I am still a hawk wanabe but in my research I have heard that the flush mount sink and cooktop are somewhat limiting re the size of pan you can cook with and the clearance under the water faucet in the sink.  On the other side of the equation, a nice flat surface when they are not in use may be more important.  Has one else found this to be an issue?

#29 Bill D

Bill D

• Members
  • 981 posts
  • LocationEdmonton, Alberta, Canada

Posted 19 January 2017 - 09:45 PM

I am still a hawk wanabe but in my research I have heard that the flush mount sink and cooktop are somewhat limiting re the size of pan you can cook with and the clearance under the water faucet in the sink.  On the other side of the equation, a nice flat surface when they are not in use may be more important.  Has one else found this to be an issue?

I'm sure someone will answer your question about the limited depth.

I remember a thread where almost all owner of the flush mounted options were happy that they made the choice of flush mounted.

On the other side of the coin, I am very content with the standard offerings.  I have no issue with putting things on top of the standard stove.  The space behind the stove is convenient for putting a cup or something you do not want to get knocked over.

I actually use the space behind the sink and the stove to store the speaker stand lift for the roof.  It travels there extremely well and is always out of my way (I know there would be clever ways to mount it, but I haven't found the need).

#30 DrJ

DrJ

• Members
  • 514 posts
  • LocationSouthern Idaho

Posted 19 January 2017 - 10:24 PM

I upgraded to the 7350 fan and really like that. Lots of setting and you can even set it to hold a certain temperature. That's usually not listed as an option.

I really like my front dinette. It's the best set up for me. I've owned all 3 table set ups and that one is my favorite.

I love the Yakima tracks mostly to hold my maxtrax and solar panel.

My favorite option that no one talks about is the outdoor led lighting. That is so helpful with what I do. I use the LED floodlights too quite frequently.

I'm not sure who can climb up the rear wall steps, maybe Spider-Man.
I have them but I really use them for anything except hanging up clothes and other options. It's fantastic for that.

Enjoy your camper. It's one of the best things I've ever purchased.

Sent from my iPhone using Wander The West

2015 Silverado Crew Cab Duramax and 2015 Front Dinette Grandby

One can change the world, it only requires kindness

http://www.truckcamp...g-family-earth/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users