• Please log in to reply
105 replies to this topic

#11 Bill D

Bill D

• Members
  • 981 posts
  • LocationEdmonton, Alberta, Canada

Posted 19 January 2017 - 12:48 AM

IMO, the thermal pack is handy at all times.  I cuts down on sound and light.  It aids in keeping the camper cooler or warmer.  I also think it looks nice.  I find a nice soft fabric nicer to look at than vinyl.

I just recently read a post where one person said they removed theirs because they found it easier to deal with condensation.  This is the first post I have ever read of someone not liking their thermal pack.

You could always purchase one later if you are trying to keep the cost down.  You could also make one as some others have done (personally I would never do this as I feel there is too much time, skill involved on this DIY project relative to the cost of just buying one).

http://www.wanderthe...d-weather-pack/

Edited by Bill D, 19 January 2017 - 12:55 AM.

#12 n2Jeepin

n2Jeepin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts
  • LocationBoise, ID

Posted 19 January 2017 - 01:04 AM

IMO, the thermal pack is handy at all times. I cuts down on sound and light. It aids in keeping the camper cooler or warmer. I also think it looks nice. I find a nice soft fabric nicer to look at than vinyl.

I just recently read a post where one person said they removed theirs because they found it easier to deal with condensation. This is the first post I have ever read of someone not liking their thermal pack.

You could always purchase one later if you are trying to keep the cost down. You could also make one as some others have done (personally I would never do this as I feel there is too much time, skill involved on this DIY project relative to the cost of just buying one).
http://www.wanderthe...d-weather-pack/

Good point and thank you, I did not think about it cuttting down on noise. Not worried about cost, I want to get it as "right" as possible the first time and all you current users are really helping! FYI, family camping is me, the wife and twin 8yr old girls. I may also "camp" in the driveway When hormones/emotions are running high 😁

Edited by n2Jeepin, 19 January 2017 - 01:08 AM.

2016 F250 XL, Crew Cab, Power Stroke, 50 gallon transferflow replacement tank
2017 FWC Hawk Front Dinette, Silver Spur Interior, King Bed, Dual Fantastic Fans, Roof Solar

#13 moveinon

moveinon

• Members
  • 156 posts
  • LocationMilwaukie Oregon

Posted 19 January 2017 - 01:10 AM

So much of what you will need is dependent on how you use it. If you carry anything on the roof like canoe or kayak for fishing you want steps if you do not then maybe not. An awning I use almost every trip, but I like to be outside. I use my rear floods a lot because I camp in remote locations where light is needed to not hit things and no matter how we plan on being there before dark things happen. Window that opens to truck I would never use. One roof vent fan I use, two I would never use or need, although I do use a second vent a lot I do not need a fan in it as one fan works for both vents. We cook outside 90% of the time so flush stove or sink would not matter and is of no concern. I use the outside shower a lot because I like to hike and need it. If you camp under trees or longer periods of time as much solar as you can afford and lift is a worthwhile investment. My wife does not like to go out in the trees in the middle of the night so a potty is essential if we camp together.

#14 pawleyk

pawleyk

• Members
  • 190 posts
  • LocationReno Nevada

Posted 19 January 2017 - 01:29 AM

Two fans sounds like about one more than you'd need..

We actually have the flush mount sink and stove, and wouldn't have it any other way. But we live in the thing, so counter space is big any time we can get it.

We also have the inside/outside shower and really like them, but again, we live in it. 

https://www.instagram.com/kp.pawley/

A farm boy and a Chevy truck take a long drive.

KI7AMV

#15 RC Pilot Jim

RC Pilot Jim

• Members
  • 1,544 posts
  • LocationSan Diego Calif

Posted 19 January 2017 - 02:01 AM

We have the Eagle shell model and after 5 years only wish I had purchased the Yakima tracks to easily mount the 150 watt solar panel.

And panel is heavy ...to heavy to lift with the two inside lifters. My fault because I mounted it in front of the lifting board and all 25 pounds sits in front of it. In my case I don't think the outside 40 pound lifters would be any more effective than inside 40 pound lifters.

Good thing I have the speaker lift.

I've always wondered how roofs with canoes were easily lifted?

Edited by RC Pilot Jim, 19 January 2017 - 02:47 AM.

Jim

Retired from truck camping June 2021

Our Basic Eagle/Fleet Shell Build

#16 super doody

super doody

• Members
  • 638 posts
  • LocationSan Mateo Coast

Posted 19 January 2017 - 02:59 AM

Some discussions on this topic:

http://www.wanderthe...option-regrets/

http://www.wanderthe...nions-thoughts/

http://www.wanderthe...-buyers-regret/

https://www.google.c...nderthewest.com

2003 Tacoma 4X4 - 2007 FWC Eagle shell

2006 Tundra Double Cab - 2015 Hawk - side dinette, silver spur interior

#17 super doody

super doody

• Members
  • 638 posts

Posted 19 January 2017 - 03:03 AM

We have the Eagle shell model and after 5 years only wish I had purchased the Yakima tracks to easily mount the 150 watt solar panel.

And panel is heavy ...to heavy to lift with the two inside lifters. My fault because I mounted it in front of the lifting board and all 25 pounds sits in front of it. In my case I don't think the outside 40 pound lifters would be any more effective than inside 40 pound lifters.

Good thing I have the speaker lift.

I've always wondered how roofs with canoes were easily lifted?

Its all about leverage. The external struts are far more effective. I think Dr. J has 40 lb panel and uses 60 lbs external struts. There is the reason why FWC discontinued the interior struts. They also take up precious interior space. 

Edited by super doody, 19 January 2017 - 11:56 PM.

#18 super doody

super doody

• Members
  • 638 posts

Posted 19 January 2017 - 03:05 AM

My conclusions so far, Rear wall steps are no longer on my list. I thought about the batwing but prefer an awning that's has a hard cover, so probably stay with side awning, Flush mount sink/stove for extra counter room, Gonna stay with 2 fans as I like to sleep to a fan and it's hot here in the valley. But. I do have a new question about the thermal pack. At what temperature do you find it useful? I never even considered it until reading a few comments above.

rear steps and flood lights are the only option I didn't get. I wish I would've added the steps. Its a cheap add on and its useful for hanging things. 

Also, I'm very glad I got the silver spur interior and the thermal pack. 

Edited by super doody, 19 January 2017 - 03:06 AM.

#19 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,594 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 19 January 2017 - 04:19 AM

Space is tight in our campers, and for that reason I have gone without water heaters in both of the campers we have purchased. We just heat water on the stove for dishes and bathing.

I am haunted by waters

#20 XJINTX

XJINTX

• Members
  • 552 posts
  • LocationEddy, TX

Posted 19 January 2017 - 01:04 PM

Concur with most all posts. I would definitely get the thermal barrier for reasons stated. I'm in TX and it seems to help with cooling too. I also like my sliding window by the cab. I had a screen made at local glass shop. It really helps with air flow when I open and turn on fantastic fan. When up and on road early in the mornings I crack a roof vent and open that window for the drive as it airs and drys out the camper :) I have most all options and satisfied with all.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users