45 replies to this topic

#31 Cayuse

Cayuse

• Members
  • 771 posts
  • LocationMesa, AZ

Posted 19 February 2017 - 02:29 PM

When is Herbert up for re-election?

2020, he was just re-elected in this last cycle...

I am torn.  A part of me thinks that I should boycott Utah and spend time exploring the desert landscapes of CA, NV, NM, CO AZ and OR.  Yet I think about the small businesses in Escalante, Hanksville, Bluff and other small towns that are dependent on our dollars for their livelihoods.  The guides that lead canyoneering trips and the small restaurants and gas stations off the beaten path.  Maybe some sort of list or registry will come about for those businesses that support public lands, keeping GSENM its present size and not fighting Bears Ears NM.

2002 Grandby, 2008 Tundra Double Cab
Off Road Utility Trailer
Not enough time to go exploring.

#32 Stalking Light

Stalking Light

Feral Grandpa

• Members
  • 1,481 posts
  • LocationLand of grits and gravy

Posted 19 February 2017 - 04:00 PM

I don't like the idea of boycotting Utah since I love the scenery so much and have enjoyed my many trips there, but right now I think I will avoid the state entirely this year of at least make sure I get gas, groceries and supplies before I visit. If the local businesses can start putting pressure on the state government that will have to help. All these moves are allegedly to benefit the locals so we need them to step up since their voices will be louder that us 'tourists'.

Charlie...
Stalking Light
2014 FWC Eagle on 2015 Tacoma Quad Cab Long Bed

#33 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,974 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 19 February 2017 - 07:04 PM

2020, he was just re-elected in this last cycle...

I am torn.  A part of me thinks that I should boycott Utah and spend time exploring the desert landscapes of CA, NV, NM, CO AZ and OR.  Yet I think about the small businesses in Escalante, Hanksville, Bluff and other small towns that are dependent on our dollars for their livelihoods.  The guides that lead canyoneering trips and the small restaurants and gas stations off the beaten path.  Maybe some sort of list or registry will come about for those businesses that support public lands, keeping GSENM its present size and not fighting Bears Ears NM.

I would think that anyone living in those towns would be in favour of tourism?  I love the area too and have a trip planned out for May.  Was thinking of boycotting, but love the idea of a registry even more.  

#34 highz

highz

Retreaded

• Members
  • 1,816 posts
  • LocationSacramento Mountains, NM

Posted 19 February 2017 - 07:30 PM

A registry would help. Even so, you will be putting $$ into the state through taxes. Maybe match the taxes you would pay in donations to groups or politicians that support public lands - and tell Herbert you did so!  Or, maybe find guides who will work for "under the table" cash?

'99 Ford Ranger XLT, '08 FWC Eagle
-------------
“the clearest way into the Universe is through a forest wilderness.” - John Muir

#35 williak

williak

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts
  • LocationUtah, Inc.

Posted 21 February 2017 - 04:39 AM

I kind of like the idea of a register of local businesses that are friendly to enhanced protection of federal land where designated, but maybe a better idea is to tap back into the resources of the WTW community. If you are passing through and have a good experience in a restaurant, post up in the thread about restaurants. If you read a good book about the area, there's a thread for that too. 

I'll also advocate for gassing up  and topping off supplies in the little towns around the monuments. Yeah, it's more expensive, and right, in Utah the sales tax is likely to help fund bone-headed legislative adventures, but at least you're not feeding a  narrative out there that visitors come in increasing numbers, negatively impact a traditional lifestyle, but don't leave any cash.

I guess you can also choose not to come to Utah at all, and right now I can't say that I'd blame you. But that would be a shame. You'd be missing out on a chance for a great experience, and Utah would be missing out on  exposure to a great community that knows and advocates how to recreate responsibly:  by  playing  within the rules, and maintaining  a light footprint. 

If you want to contribute financially, but don't want it to go to State gov, here's a short list of organizations working hard to protect the natural areas:

Southern Utah Wilderness Alliance

Grand Staircase Escalante Partenrs

Friends of Cedar Mesa

Utah Dine Bikeya

#36 rando

rando

• Members
  • 1,638 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 21 February 2017 - 02:32 PM

Here is another proposal from the Utah legislature that would effect GSENM:

http://www.sltrib.co...utah-state-park

While this seems less bad than the other proposal to shrink GSENM (which appears to primarily be motivated by a pipe dream to mine coal on the kaiparowits plateau), I am also against this.   First it sets a bad precedent for transferring federal land to state control, secondly while Utah State Parks are nice, they are generally speaking very heavily developed (camp grounds with hook ups, visitors centers, snack shops) which is pretty inconsistent with the rugged nature of this area.   Finally I suspect there are some religious motivations to this park - to promote mormonism.   There are already 'visitors centers' at both ends off hole in the rock (Escalante and Bluff) that are thinly disguised tools for evangelism. 

As for a boycott - I think the most effective approach, and what we will try is to avoid spending money in the rest of the state, but spend money in Boulder/Escalante etc while making it clear that you are there to visit the monument.    The state politicians claim that the locals in SE Utah are entirely against the monument, whereas at meetings in Escalante many business owners have tried to explain the positive economic impact of the monument and their support for it.   Spending money and mentioning the monument helps reinforce this narrative. 

Edited by rando, 21 February 2017 - 03:34 PM.

2016 Fleet Flatbed

2016 Toyota Tacoma

#37 Cayuse

Cayuse

• Members
  • 771 posts
  • LocationMesa, AZ

Posted 21 February 2017 - 03:08 PM

Here is another proposal from the Utah legislature that would effect GSENM:

http://www.sltrib.co...utah-state-park

While this seems less bad than the other proposal to shrink GSENM (which appears to primarily be motivated by a pipe dream to mine coal on the kaiparowits plateau), I am also against this.   First it sets a bad precedent for transferring federal land to state control, secondly while Utah State Parks are nice, they are generally speaking very heavily developed (camp grounds with hook ups, visitors centers, snack shops) which is pretty inconsistent with the rugged nature of this area.   Finally I suspect there are some religious motivations to this park - to promote mormonism.   There are already 'visitors centers' at both ends off hole in the rock (Escalante and Bluff) that are thinly disguised tools for evangelism. 

As for a boycott - I think the most effective approach, and what we will try is to avoid spending money in the rest of the state, but spend money in Boulder/Escalante etc while making it clear that you are there to visit the monument.    The state politicians claim that the locals in SE Utah are entirely against the monument, whereas at meetings in Escalante many business owners have tried to explain the positive economic impact of the monument and there support for it.   Spending money and mentioning the monument helps reinforce this narrative. 

I think there may be a secondary and much darker motive behind the proposal for a state park.  If they pave the road out to accommodate buses and RV's then it will also be able accommodate heavy equipment that would be required to haul coal off of the Kaiparowits Plateau.  For anyone who is interested in seeing a recent report regarding Utah's energy resources and how those resources are used there is a report available here.  

Perhaps Utah will learn from their neighbors to the south since it looks like the Navajo Generating Station is going to be closed within the next couple of years.

2002 Grandby, 2008 Tundra Double Cab
Off Road Utility Trailer
Not enough time to go exploring.

#38 MidAtlantic

MidAtlantic

• Members
  • 124 posts
  • LocationColorado Springs & York, UK

Posted 22 February 2017 - 11:29 AM

I hope that the Outdoor Retailer Show moves out of SLC and that Black Diamond, Petzl and the like follow them.   Colorado values would are much more closely aligned with this industry and maybe this will be a wake up call to Utah politicians.

Attached Files

Edited by MidAtlantic, 22 February 2017 - 11:31 AM.

#39 Tuff Guy 62

Tuff Guy 62

• Members
  • 829 posts
  • LocationArizona Rim Country

Posted 22 February 2017 - 02:54 PM

Colorado, higher recreation?

Now that's a double entendre!

2000 2WD Chevy Silverado 1500 5.3 liter V8

2019 Ram 2500 6.4 liter Hemi

2015 ATC Custom Panther Shell

When you come to a fork in the road, take it. Yogi Berra

#40 williak

williak

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts
  • LocationUtah, Inc.

Posted 24 February 2017 - 02:26 AM

I think there may be a secondary and much darker motive behind the proposal for a state park.  If they pave the road out to accommodate buses and RV's then it will also be able accommodate heavy equipment that would be required to haul coal off of the Kaiparowits Plateau.  For anyone who is interested in seeing a recent report regarding Utah's energy resources and how those resources are used there is a report available here.  

Perhaps Utah will learn from their neighbors to the south since it looks like the Navajo Generating Station is going to be closed within the next couple of years.

Thanks for the link to the energy report. There it is, 59% of coal recoverable coal right in the middle of GSENM.

Another developer w.., I mean fever dream from  the 70's was the trans-escalate highway. It would have run from Bullfrog, across the Escalante river canyon, up and over the Kaiparowits. I thought those proposals were long dead with the monument designation, but 1/20  changed a lot of things.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users