• Please log in to reply
91 replies to this topic

#81 buzzman

buzzman

• Members
  • 220 posts
  • LocationCrossville, TN

Posted 10 December 2008 - 07:31 PM

After our drive on old Route 66, Sherri wanted to see some old covered wagon wheel tracks advertised to be preserved at Red Rock Canyon SP near Hinton. We also visited the very nice Hinton historical museum, a really impressive museum.

Touring the park
Posted Image

Our camp site. The park was almost deserted.
Posted Image

Red Rock Canyon was on the old California Road. Here's a little history I learned from the Hinton museum director. This was a wagon route through the center part of OK that the pioneers used when traveling west during the mid 1800's, mostly prior to the railroads. The settlers with their wagons traveled about 12-15 miles a day and had to stop to fill their water barrels each day. The creek in Red Rock Canyon was one of the stopping points. The wagons would have to lock the rear wheels with the brakes or poles while entering the canyon and the sliding wheels made deep ruts in the hard sandstone banks. The wagon trail leaving the canyon on the west side does not have very deep ruts, almost non-existent, because the wheels aren't sliding. I think these settlers had the first real truck campers!

The wagon entrance, looking down into the canyon. It was fairly steep.
Posted Image

Looking up at the entrance trail
Posted Image

Since we had shore power while camping here, we decided to download pictures from the camera to the computer. Here's our little table set up. I'm sure we had a much more comfortable camper than the pioneers.
Posted Image

2017 Ram 3500 6.4L gas SRW, CC, 2wd, 8' bed

2007 FWC Grandby--Sold

2015 Hallmark Ute XL

#82 chnlisle

chnlisle

Post Master

• Members
  • 3,811 posts
  • LocationThe Old Pueblo

Posted 11 December 2008 - 01:33 PM

What a fantastic trip. You guys are so lucky to have had the time. Great story and great pix.

Special Engel Pricing For WTW Members

Click here to see my ATC Cougar
JayAronowSales.com
(520)579-9610
jayaronow@gmail.com

#83 buzzman

buzzman

• Members
  • 220 posts
  • LocationCrossville, TN

Posted 11 December 2008 - 08:35 PM

Sherri and I didn't want to get back on I-40 for the rest of our drive through OK and we really didn't want our trip to end just yet. So, after leaving Red Rock Canyon SP we wandered our way south to Anadarko and east on Hwy 19 and 270 to Robber's Cave SP, just north of Wilburton, OK. By the time we got to Robber's Cave SP it was dark and for some reason the place was very busy and crowded. We got the last camp site. It was sort of like "city camping", but there was nowhere else. This was the first state park we stayed at that was so crowded. Apparently the good weather, the fall colors, and the three-day weekend brought out the families. Anyway, the next morning we did a quick tour of the Robber's Cave before the bus loads showed up.

Sherri climbing up from Robber's Cave. This was a place where several robber's and thieves hid out, such as Jesse James and Bell Starr.
Posted Image

View from Robber's Cave
Posted Image

While camping at Robber's Cave a fellow camper next to us said we must visit Winding Stair Mountain NRA and the scenic drive on Hwy 1. Sounded good, so we drove south to Talihina and onto the scenic drive. It was very nice. We didn't expect to find something like this in Oklahoma. It turned out to be a very beautiful drive and the weather remained perfect.

On the way to Winding Stair Mtn NRA we stopped for lunch at this cool little place in Talihina. Good food too.
Posted Image

The visitor center was a little busy. There were lots of motorcycles out this day.
Posted Image

Our first of many pullouts
Posted Image

The scenic Hwy 1 is on the crest of a ridge line. This is part of the Quachita Mountain range. I know, these are just foothills to those of you who live out west near the Rockies.
Posted Image

More views from Hwy 1. Traveling East.
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

We continued east on Hwy 1 into Arkansas, to the Queen Wilhelmina SP and through the Quachita NF. It was getting late on this Saturday Nov 9th, and we made the decision to try and get home to TN that night. So we couldn't spend much time touring this region. The road was sort of busy anyway. Can't you see those cars way out there?

Here's a view looking south from the Queen Wilhelmina visitor center.
Posted Image

Driving east on AR Hwy 88
Posted Image

Well that's it, WTW friends. I hope you enjoyed it as much as I enjoyed sharing it with you.

We got home to Somerville TN about 9:30 PM. It was a great trip west that Sherri and I will never forget. We may have tried to cover too much of the country in 29 days, but did we ever see some beautiful country! We probably didn't do as much back country camping as many of you do. Maybe we'll do more on our next trip. I have learned a lot about truck camping and visiting the west with my FWC Grandby and there are a couple mods and additions I'd like to make. I'll discuss them in another thread. Except for the leaking heater core, which I fixed in Santa Barbara, and the lack of horse power in the mountains, my old school truck held up very well. It logged 6454 miles on this trip. I guess I'll keeping using it, for now.

Until the next trip west...Buzz and Sherri:)

2017 Ram 3500 6.4L gas SRW, CC, 2wd, 8' bed

2007 FWC Grandby--Sold

2015 Hallmark Ute XL

#84 ScottBailey

ScottBailey

• Members
  • 649 posts
  • LocationMesa, AZ

Posted 11 December 2008 - 09:21 PM

Buzz,

Thank you for sharing. I am impressed both with your trip and your report.

Thanks,
SB

Scott Bailey -- W7SEB
2007 F350 XLT Diesel CC SRW SB 4x4
Cheap tent and a Partner Steel stove. 
Future? Really like the Hiatus, but I'm broke AF, so dreaming about a DIY.
SOLD: 2008 ATC Panther:dinette, 5th wheel

#85 Mark W. Ingalls

Mark W. Ingalls

• Members
  • 1,248 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 11 December 2008 - 09:24 PM

Dear Buzz & Sherri--

We cannot thank you enough for bringing us with you on your first trip West. It was unforgettable for us, too.

Mark & Edna

#86 DLN

DLN

• Members
  • 1,111 posts
  • LocationGrass Valley Area, CA

Posted 12 December 2008 - 12:05 AM

Many thanks for sharing your trip and great reports with us. You've actually seen many things in the west that we haven't. Fantastic.
DLN Ex- 2006 Eagle - 2002 Tacoma TRD - Ride Rite Air Bags Current - 2004 17' Casita SD

#87 CJ8Rockcrawler

CJ8Rockcrawler

• Members
  • 306 posts

Posted 12 December 2008 - 02:35 AM

Great trip and great report... thanks for sharing it with us.
1984 Jeep $crambler - Lifted/Locked on 35s/Caged/RTT Rack/Etc... 2004 Dodge Ram Quad Cab 4x4 6spd Diesel - Gauges/CB/2M Radio/Lorenz Bilstein 5100 Suspension with DP Leaf Springs/Carli Long Travel Airbags 2002 Hawk FWC - With all the goodies to keep the wife a "happy camper" "Paved Roads... Another example of wasteful government spending."

#88 Dave Johnson

Dave Johnson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 12 December 2008 - 03:05 AM

Buzz,
Another thanks for sharing your experience. I enjoyed your descriptions and the pictures.
Dave Johnson - 2005 Taco ext cab, Bobcat shell, DIY interior.
Retired 2002, living and loving it.
Pleasanton, CA
http://home.comcast....1/MyCamper.html

#89 EdoHart

EdoHart

Grasshopper

• Members
  • 1,036 posts
  • LocationSanta Maria, CA

Posted 12 December 2008 - 04:06 AM

Thanks.

Following your trip in near real time was great! I thank you for sharing such a memorable trek.

#90 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,023 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 12 December 2008 - 06:50 AM

Thanks much for sharing. Thats a bit of work loading that many pics. You've give me to ideas too. I"m curious to see what mods you want to do now.

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users