121 replies to this topic

#61 ntsqd

ntsqd

Custom User Title

• Members
  • 2,881 posts
  • LocationNorth So.CA

Posted 13 June 2017 - 01:46 AM

Any sustained moisture in the air will start the process, but it will stop when it drys out. So yes that is why the ref to Sedonna or Baton Rouge. All it takes to stop it is for the two metals to be electrically isolated from each other. A layer of powder coat seems to be enough. Perhaps a single layer of electrical tape might be too.

Thom

Where does that road go?

#62 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,974 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 13 June 2017 - 04:11 PM

sort of related question.  I mounted a fuel can on mine - using the alum flat bars attached to the wood of the camper and the jack mounts like has been suggested here.  Rock solid.

However, on my trip I noticed I vented/leaked a LOT of gas from the 5 gal container as it sat in the sun... like a gallon or more over two weeks.  Besides being stinky, I have less reserve than I want!  I have tested the container itself using water, and it does NOT leak.  

Is this normal? 

#63 Cayuse

Cayuse

• Members
  • 771 posts
  • LocationMesa, AZ

Posted 13 June 2017 - 04:34 PM

sort of related question.  I mounted a fuel can on mine - using the alum flat bars attached to the wood of the camper and the jack mounts like has been suggested here.  Rock solid.

However, on my trip I noticed I vented/leaked a LOT of gas from the 5 gal container as it sat in the sun... like a gallon or more over two weeks.  Besides being stinky, I have less reserve than I want!  I have tested the container itself using water, and it does NOT leak.  

Is this normal? 

What kind of container are you using?  I have a NATO style can and it absolutely does not leak.  The only opening for the NATO can is for the fill/pour and venting is done through the pour spout.

2002 Grandby, 2008 Tundra Double Cab
Off Road Utility Trailer
Not enough time to go exploring.

#64 JaSAn

JaSAn

Grumpy Old Man

• Members
  • 1,107 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 13 June 2017 - 05:04 PM

. . . on my trip I noticed I vented/leaked a LOT of gas from the 5 gal container as it sat in the sun... like a gallon or more over two weeks.  . . .  I have tested the container itself using water, and it does NOT leak.  

I have an old (WWII) 5 gallon Gerry can.  It weeps gas out one of the seams.  It did NOT leak water when filled.  I had to submerge and pressurize with air to find the leak.  I would assume that sealed and heated I would loose a lot of gas.

jim

Sköldpaddan, a 1977 FWC Grandby
Renovating Skoldpaddan
2012 Ram 2500 4X4
1951 Dodge Power Wagon

#65 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,974 posts

Posted 13 June 2017 - 06:51 PM

Cayuse - Red 5 gal gas container from Canadian Tire

Jim - no leak with water and still leaked with gas?  Interesting!  

You have me wondering where to get a good gas can in Canada?

#66 rando

rando

• Members
  • 1,638 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 13 June 2017 - 07:39 PM

In Canada you can buy the Scepter Military Fuel Cans:

https://www.princess...can/A-p8451411e

Which are really high quality fuel cans, but unavailable in the US.   I have used these a bunch for both mogas and diesel in the field and been very happy with them. 

2016 Fleet Flatbed

2016 Toyota Tacoma

#67 takesiteasy

takesiteasy

• Members
  • 2,588 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 14 June 2017 - 12:11 AM

I use the Scepter MFC. They do swell up in heat or changes in altitude but if the cap is tight they do not leak. I carry a strap wrench to get the caps off which can be tough if they are under pressure. You can buy a special wrench but I didn't want to spend the money. I made a spout for pouring, copying a thread I saw over on ExPo. I like them because they do not leak, they don't rattle and they don't rust. :)

2011 Tacoma AC TRD
ATC Custom Shell

travelswithrockythedog.blogspot.com

#68 ntsqd

ntsqd

Custom User Title

• Members
  • 2,881 posts
  • LocationNorth So.CA

Posted 14 June 2017 - 12:21 AM

The equally good at not leaking are the NATO cans. These are steel with some sort of epoxy or similar liner. Never seen one leak or have whatever they're coated with inside flake or peel. I have seen one tumble off the rear of a truck on Saline Valley Rd., go end over end many times, and come to a rest, AND still not leak.

No idea about a Canadian source, but they look like this: https://www.pinzgaue...partno=SAV9101  If you go with these I strongly recommend buying this filler neck: https://www.pinzgaue...&partno=SAV4220 It is not Fuel fill restrictor ("Unleaded") compatible, but it was simple to make a reducer from short section of copper pipe & a fitting. All other known necks for these cans pale in comparison. Can dump the whole can of fuel in less time than it takes to type this.

Either choice is a good one, can't go wrong with either.

Edited by ntsqd, 14 June 2017 - 12:22 AM.

Thom

Where does that road go?

#69 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,974 posts

Posted 14 June 2017 - 12:40 AM

In Canada you can buy the Scepter Military Fuel Cans:

https://www.princess...can/A-p8451411e

Which are really high quality fuel cans, but unavailable in the US.   I have used these a bunch for both mogas and diesel in the field and been very happy with them. 

That will work.  Thanks for the idea and link!

#70 TacoTruck

TacoTruck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts
  • LocationCentral Valley California

Posted 14 June 2017 - 02:55 AM

I have used Blitz Jerry cans and Rotopax's and never had leaks even with 8000' elevation changes.

X Jeeper with off-road Teardrop

2017 Fleet, Silver Spur Complete Package
2009 Tacoma Access Cab 4WD V6 6-speed

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users