• Please log in to reply
78 replies to this topic

#11 photohc

photohc

• Members
  • 267 posts
  • LocationSo. Calif.

Posted 18 June 2017 - 07:58 PM

Congratulations Riverrunner! I'll be watching out for your pictures and impressions. I currently own a 2013 F150 but been checking out the F250. How much more payload did you get with your configuration vs. F250? Is the dealer able to give you an accurate indication of the payload based on the configuration ordered?

Ford 2018 F250 FX4,Lariat, Gasser. FWC 2013 Hawk W6QN (formerly KH6FBU)

#12 Riverrunner

Riverrunner

• Members
  • 464 posts
  • LocationWest Valley, Oregon

Posted 20 June 2017 - 06:22 AM

It's hard to get super accurate payload since it depends on options.  The payload guide is all you have to make an estimate until the truck is actually built.  The 250 can have a payload problem when you start going CCLB and diesel.  Some only have 21-2200lbs.  Go gas and and SB and you can get over 3000lbs from what I've seen.  There isn't much different in cost so I just assume have the 350 and for my use I wanted the 6R140 transmission vs the "G" in the 250.  

Truck is built and waiting to get on a train to the wet coast.  Right now my dilemma is wheather to commit to the rebates I have now or gamble a little and see what comes out for July. I've got $4500 in rebates until July 5th which isn't bad.  Will the rebates be better after July 5th?  ETA is still July 10th.  

2022 F350 DRW Lariat Ultimate CC, LB, 4x4, 7.3L 
2005 FWC Grandby

2023 Rockwood 2720IK Travel Trailer

#13 klahanie

klahanie

• Validating
  • 932 posts
  • LocationSW BC

Posted 20 June 2017 - 04:22 PM

Fun stuff RR. You've spec'ed out close to what I would order today, if in the market, so I too will be interested in your impressions especially power and fuel consumption when loaded up - most online reports are for towing. Should also be interesting to compare payload to your old dually, seems you can get an impressive payload with the 6.2.

#14 Happyjax

Happyjax

• Members
  • 1,444 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 20 June 2017 - 05:16 PM

Looks a lot like what I want to order but I have some gear heads here telling me to get the diesel. I don't know what to do there as I have no point of reference for driving a big ass truck full of a camper and stuff..... Looking forward to pics and things....

2018 Ford F-250. Customized Bundutec Sable :)

#15 Riverrunner

Riverrunner

• Members
  • 464 posts

Posted 21 June 2017 - 03:10 PM

Fun stuff RR. You've spec'ed out close to what I would order today, if in the market, so I too will be interested in your impressions especially power and fuel consumption when loaded up - most online reports are for towing. Should also be interesting to compare payload to your old dually, seems you can get an impressive payload with the 6.2.

I'll have more payload than the dually I'm sure.  The 2000 has a gvwr of 11,200 and gcwr of 20,000 vs the '17 with 11,500/23,500. Yes lots of towing reports and while that's important to me it's only part of it.  My current boat is only 5K lbs so nothing there to worry about.  

Looks a lot like what I want to order but I have some gear heads here telling me to get the diesel. I don't know what to do there as I have no point of reference for driving a big ass truck full of a camper and stuff..... Looking forward to pics and things....

I think the 6.7 is a decent engine (as well as the Cummins and Duramax).  The power is crazy huge.  MPG's are so so.  I'm just put off by the emissions and how touchy and sophisticated it all is plus the added maintenance and repair costs when you're out of warranty.  If you towing over 10K or hauling a big camper with a boat, you might want the diesel.  I did a lot of research on the 6.2 and have watched how it was developed.  It's as bulletproof as you can get in todays world.  Fleets love it.  Sure it's doesn't have 925lbft of torque but then I'm not in a hurry.  Cheaper oil changes and maintenance are appealing to me after almost 20 years with a diesel.  

I don't think this is going to be a huge change for me since I've never owned a newer diesel.  While my current rig is modified with all of the usual power mods, it's not anything close power wise to the new trucks. My brother has a newer diesel (2012) and I've been in his truck a few times.  Nice for sure but I don't want spend that kind of money.  His DEF pump just went out at 47K miles.  $1200.  ouch!

2005 FWC Grandby

#16 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,589 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 21 June 2017 - 03:21 PM

Jackie, the diesels (and I love mine) are great, but unless you're pulling/carrying a lot of weight over difficult terrain, I think the gas engine would be the best choice.  The truck that RR has ordered sounds ideal, and I do agree with going for the 1 ton.

I am haunted by waters

#17 Happyjax

Happyjax

• Members
  • 1,444 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 22 June 2017 - 04:10 PM

Thanks! I was all for gas until the diesel guys at work kept telling me that was the way to go. I was having a hard time getting past $8000, 500 extra lbs, higher fuel costs and DEF. Now I am sure gas is the way to go for me. Diesel is fine for heavy towing but I'm just gonna put a camper in there and drive around and take pics, meet other WTW folk and try a Pliney some day :)

2018 Ford F-250. Customized Bundutec Sable :)

#18 Riverrunner

Riverrunner

• Members
  • 464 posts

Posted 23 June 2017 - 06:42 PM

Truck is in Minot ND.  It's getting closer!  Railroad says it should be in Portland on the 28th.  

I will definitely post up impressions, MPG's, photo's and thoughts over the coming months.  

2005 FWC Grandby

#19 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,338 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 23 June 2017 - 07:02 PM

I will definitely post up impressions, MPG's, photo's and thoughts over the coming months.  

You bet! :)

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#20 Riverrunner

Riverrunner

• Members
  • 464 posts

Posted 30 June 2017 - 12:53 AM

Well the truck made it to Portland this morning and is waiting to be unloaded off the rail car.  Now we'll see how long it sits there before it make it to my dealership.  6 weeks from order date so far.  I don't think that is too bad.  Maybe by the end of next week I might have it...maybe...  

2005 FWC Grandby

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users