78 replies to this topic

#21 Advmoto18

Advmoto18

• Members
  • 1,083 posts
  • LocationCoastal Low Country, SC

Posted 09 July 2017 - 09:38 PM

Sounds like a great truck inbound!

Indeed ESOF is a high failure rate point on the truck, especially when the vacuum lines get old and leaky.

If you buy a truck off the lot with ESOF installed and want to eliminate a point of failure, simply trace a vacuum line back to the solenoid, disconnect and plug the line.  To make the hubs bullet proof, install the NEW Warn Premium locking hubs.  No more problems.

South Carolina Low Country.  

#22 Riverrunner

Riverrunner

• Members
  • 464 posts
  • LocationWest Valley, Oregon

Posted 11 July 2017 - 05:58 AM

Looks like it's going to sit in the rail yard for a while.  As of today it's still there.  12 days tomorrow.  I leave on Weds for vacation and had hoped I'd have it by now to get some of those break in miles done.  No such luck.  The wait continues.... 

2022 F350 DRW Lariat Ultimate CC, LB, 4x4, 7.3L 
2005 FWC Grandby

2023 Rockwood 2720IK Travel Trailer

#23 Happyjax

Happyjax

• Members
  • 1,444 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 11 July 2017 - 01:52 PM

That is the main reason I have not ordered a truck. I have 2 weeks coming up in August I would like to have a truck for and did not think I could rely on Ford to get me a truck by then. If I cannot find something I will be happy with I will wait until end of season sales....

Have my eyes on a couple possibilities though some will need a skid plate and probably updated shocks because they are not FX equipped.

Just gonna go with the flow :)

2018 Ford F-250. Customized Bundutec Sable :)

#24 Riverrunner

Riverrunner

• Members
  • 464 posts

Posted 11 July 2017 - 02:57 PM

That is the main reason I have not ordered a truck. I have 2 weeks coming up in August I would like to have a truck for and did not think I could rely on Ford to get me a truck by then. If I cannot find something I will be happy with I will wait until end of season sales....

Have my eyes on a couple possibilities though some will need a skid plate and probably updated shocks because they are not FX equipped.

Just gonna go with the flow :)

The FX shocks are nothing special.  I'm not sure there are even actual Ranchos.  I figure they will last a year and then I'll upgrade to the Rancho 9000's.  Skid plates and hill decent is what you get with the FX4 Package and at $295 it was a decent deal.  $100 and you can add skid plate without the other stuff.  I'd guess for $100 you can order the skid plates from the dealer and put them on yourself.  

I don't need the truck for this vacation but it would have been nice to get the break in miles done so I can tow my boat when needed.  Ford got me the truck in plenty of time, it's the carrier that's screwed me.  My dealership has received 3 convoys since 7/4 and my rig hasn't been on any of them.   Hard to find the 4.30 gears I wanted although a month after I ordered mine, I did find one dealership that had a couple trucks that would have worked about 450 miles away.   

2005 FWC Grandby

#25 Happyjax

Happyjax

• Members
  • 1,444 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 11 July 2017 - 09:31 PM

So I can get the skid plate and put it on myself? As long as I don't have to drill holes that will work.

And you are saying use the shocks that come with it and after a year or so they will need replacing so I can put Bilsteins or something else on them?

I will not let the lack of an FX package sway me with this knowledge and that gives me more choices :)

Thanks for the info!

Now can someone explain that G transmission to me? Should I embrace it or avoid it....

#26 Riverrunner

Riverrunner

• Members
  • 464 posts

Posted 12 July 2017 - 07:12 AM

A lot of guys do the Bilstiens.  Many say loaded and/or towiing they are great.  Empty, not so much.  Fox 2.0 seem to be the new darlings of the truck world.  Kinda spendy but many say they have a good ride loaded, towing, or empty. I like the Rancho 9000's but that's me. Stock shocks are not that great.  Yeah focus on must haves like upfitter switches, gears, backup camera and/or other essentials. FX4 is not essential IMO. 

If you're looking at a 17 F250 gasser, you get the new G tranny (6R100).  It's a beefed up version of the tranny in a F150 and is said to be better matched to the F250.  It's lighter and geared a touch taller so better for MPG's.  A F350 gets the full Torqueshift 6R140 which appears pretty bulletproof regardless if it's gas or diesel.  It's got lower gears and is big.  Maybe you lose a little MPG's but it's hard to say.  One reason I went 350 was I wanted the biggest and bestest tranny I could get for my use and situation.  The G is new so the jury is still out but it should handle the F250 fine.  The 6R80 in the F150's have been good with not too many issues as far as I can tell.  

It should be noted a F250 Diesel doesn't get the G. It gets the same 6R140 as the F350/450

2005 FWC Grandby

#27 Happyjax

Happyjax

• Members
  • 1,444 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 12 July 2017 - 02:34 PM

What is PTO?

#28 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,591 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 12 July 2017 - 02:37 PM

Power take off, used for implements that could be attached.

I am haunted by waters

#29 Happyjax

Happyjax

• Members
  • 1,444 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 12 July 2017 - 04:57 PM

Okie Dokie, non issue for me :)

How about running boards. Are they hard to install? Some of the trucks I look at have them and some don't. Those fancy ones that deploy automatically seem like they could get pretty gummed up in a mud run or ice?

Do you get one long board or 2 shorter ones?

Just never had to consider these things before.....

#30 Idahostat

Idahostat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts
  • LocationBoise, Idaho

Posted 16 July 2017 - 01:11 PM

Hello Thread

I have taken possession of my new F350. Yikes it is big. Some confusion on my part as to the load capacity, I had asked the man responsible for ordering the ride for a approximate capacity  ( Ford apparently does have updates on build as it progress or that is what I was told "could" happen, did not work for me, YMMV ) so as to start triaging campers by weight, as I know that there is a maximum capacity likely and then the finish capacity after options, I think he confused my truck with another or told me the maximum, so a small disappointment on checking the door decal. 

Attached Thumbnails

• Load-Capacity.jpg

Terence

Ford F350XL, ( Badging indicates "STX" ) CC-LB-SRW, FX4, Snow plow/Camper prep. Bought ( August 2017, used Hallmark Everest ( Mfg in Dec 2015 ).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users