#1 Stan@FourWheel

Stan@FourWheel

• Members
  • 2,376 posts
  • LocationWoodland, CA

Posted 05 December 2008 - 04:20 PM

Deleting this thread.

I have had great luck with mine.

But if people don't like them in their FWC's, I don't want to recommend them.

Stan Kennedy --- Four Wheel Pop-up Campers
1400 Churchill Downs Avenue, Suite A

Woodland, CA 95776
(800) 242-1442 or (530) 666-1442
www.fourwh.com  ---  e-mail = stan@fourwh.com

#2 CJ8Rockcrawler

CJ8Rockcrawler

• Members
  • 306 posts

Posted 05 December 2008 - 05:26 PM

Nice unit... I may have to go check it out.

Kyle
1984 Jeep $crambler - Lifted/Locked on 35s/Caged/RTT Rack/Etc... 2004 Dodge Ram Quad Cab 4x4 6spd Diesel - Gauges/CB/2M Radio/Lorenz Bilstein 5100 Suspension with DP Leaf Springs/Carli Long Travel Airbags 2002 Hawk FWC - With all the goodies to keep the wife a "happy camper" "Paved Roads... Another example of wasteful government spending."

#3 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,023 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 05 December 2008 - 06:25 PM

I like seeing what the temp is. I can't seem to keep a thermometer around for some reason. One more thing for the upgrade list.

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#4 ScottBailey

ScottBailey

• Members
  • 649 posts
  • LocationMesa, AZ

Posted 05 December 2008 - 06:28 PM

I really like this mod, except for the extra batteries... I'm certain I'll forget to keep fresh batteries in the camper and end up with a miserable cold night.

If it weren't for that, I'd install this before our next trip. (As it is, I still really like the mod, so I might try to get the info for an efficient DC-DC converter. An EEs out there?)

Scott Bailey -- W7SEB
2007 F350 XLT Diesel CC SRW SB 4x4
Cheap tent and a Partner Steel stove. 
Future? Really like the Hiatus, but I'm broke AF, so dreaming about a DIY.
SOLD: 2008 ATC Panther:dinette, 5th wheel

#5 buzzman

buzzman

• Members
  • 220 posts
  • LocationCrossville, TN

Posted 05 December 2008 - 06:47 PM

Stan,

Thanks for the info. Did our discussion during my factory visit get you started on this mod? Ha, Ha! I still haven't changed mine yet, but will go look at the model you used. I think it's probably a good choice.

2017 Ram 3500 6.4L gas SRW, CC, 2wd, 8' bed

2007 FWC Grandby--Sold

2015 Hallmark Ute XL

#6 Stan@FourWheel

Stan@FourWheel

• Members
  • 2,376 posts
  • LocationWoodland, CA

Posted 05 December 2008 - 07:11 PM

I wouldn't worry too much about the thermostat batteries going dead.

I have had the same 2 AA batteries in my digital thermostat at my house for over 3 years.

AA batteries are available at most any gas station.

Stan Kennedy --- Four Wheel Pop-up Campers
1400 Churchill Downs Avenue, Suite A

Woodland, CA 95776
(800) 242-1442 or (530) 666-1442
www.fourwh.com  ---  e-mail = stan@fourwh.com

#7 CJ8Rockcrawler

CJ8Rockcrawler

• Members
  • 306 posts

Posted 05 December 2008 - 08:05 PM

Also in a pinch you probably have something else in the camper that runs on AA. Headlamp, small flashlight, radio, digital camera, etc.

Kyle
1984 Jeep $crambler - Lifted/Locked on 35s/Caged/RTT Rack/Etc... 2004 Dodge Ram Quad Cab 4x4 6spd Diesel - Gauges/CB/2M Radio/Lorenz Bilstein 5100 Suspension with DP Leaf Springs/Carli Long Travel Airbags 2002 Hawk FWC - With all the goodies to keep the wife a "happy camper" "Paved Roads... Another example of wasteful government spending."

#8 pvstoy

pvstoy

• Members
  • 2,775 posts
  • LocationCarson City, NV

Posted 05 December 2008 - 11:09 PM

And if you dont have any batteries, jump the two wires and let the furance run for a while. When hot enough for you remove the jumper. Don't fall asleep and forget to remove the jumper....it will be VERY hot in your camper:eek:

Patrick

2015 FWC Hawk Flatbed

#9 Yukon

Yukon

• Members
  • 234 posts
  • LocationEdmonds WA

Posted 06 December 2008 - 02:29 PM

Thanks Stan for taking time to post this info. I am heading out this morning on 10 day trip (Seattle to our cabin in Sierras) and will stop in route and pick up one of these..... I hope to stop by 4WC on return trip. Chris

#10 Tailfins

Tailfins

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 08 December 2008 - 02:52 AM

I picked up one of these at Wal-Mart this afternoon. It cost $19.96 before tax. Just installed it and it seems to work fine. Some points:

1. It's a quick install, took me about ten minutes plus time fetching tools. I wanted to keep the spade thingies that are on the ends of the blue wires, so I had to chomp away at the original Suburban thermostat holes with a rail nipper in order to get them out. Did some damage to the plastic base of the Suburban, but not enough to ruin it. I also had to narrow the spades to fit the smaller screws in the new unit. Used needle nose pliers for that.

2. Mine gives a digital readout of the ambient temperature that is accurate to no more than one degree, possibly dead on. That's a nice thing to have in the camper. However, out of the box, even after I held the reset button for more than two seconds as instructed, mine showed a temperature that was four degrees too high, and it took about two hours to gradually go down to the actual temperature in the room. Once that initial adjustment was accomplished it held the correct temperature and reacted to ambient changes both up and down with reasonable speed.

3. In operation, when it turns the furnace either on or off there is a fairly loud high pitched click. I'm sure I'll get used to that and probably won't notice it after a while.

4. As for keeping extra batteries for an emergency, I think maybe an even better idea is to keep the original thermostat in a drawer in case this electronic one craps out. Then you can quickly replace it with the original and you're back in business until you can visit another Wal-Mart.

5. At any rate, it's a good idea to keep spare batteries of all sizes in the truck or the camper.

Thanks for the heads up, Stan
2006 Hawk on a 2009 Silverado

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users