• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#11 DLN

DLN

• Members
  • 1,111 posts
  • LocationGrass Valley Area, CA

Posted 08 December 2008 - 04:44 PM

I've been looking for this unit on line since the closest wally is 35 miles away (which I consider a positive in most cases) but I haven't been able to locate one. Any help out there?
DLN Ex- 2006 Eagle - 2002 Tacoma TRD - Ride Rite Air Bags Current - 2004 17' Casita SD

#12 ScottBailey

ScottBailey

• Members
  • 649 posts
  • LocationMesa, AZ

Posted 08 December 2008 - 05:42 PM

I've been looking for this unit on line since the closest wally is 35 miles away (which I consider a positive in most cases) but I haven't been able to locate one. Any help out there?

Do you mean 42999B?

Or maybe the 42996? (Same as 42995 but has a remote and is slightly cheaper than the 42995 at Amazon. Why? Stock, maybe?)

Here's a Honeywell that might work: RTH111B, also instructions.

Scott Bailey -- W7SEB
2007 F350 XLT Diesel CC SRW SB 4x4
Cheap tent and a Partner Steel stove. 
Future? Really like the Hiatus, but I'm broke AF, so dreaming about a DIY.
SOLD: 2008 ATC Panther:dinette, 5th wheel

#13 DLN

DLN

• Members
  • 1,111 posts

Posted 08 December 2008 - 07:19 PM

Scott,

Thanks for the reply. 42995B was the model number posted by Stan and is shown on the packaging in his post. I'm guessing it is an older item still available in wally world's inventory but has been replaced by the 42999B. I went ahead and ordered one from Amazon for about $30.00 plus shipping since we had a $50.00 credit with them so it was actually free, right? Thanks again for your help.
DLN Ex- 2006 Eagle - 2002 Tacoma TRD - Ride Rite Air Bags Current - 2004 17' Casita SD

#14 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,023 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 09 December 2008 - 03:06 AM

Ooh, I might have to get one with a remote. Perfect when you're too lazy to even roll out of bed. And not just to turn it up. Been times I wanted to turn it down too.

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#15 CJ8Rockcrawler

CJ8Rockcrawler

• Members
  • 306 posts

Posted 09 December 2008 - 04:00 AM

Ooh, I might have to get one with a remote. Perfect when you're too lazy to even roll out of bed. And not just to turn it up. Been times I wanted to turn it down too.

Glad I'm not the only one that was thinking that... I had talked myself out of it, but now... hmm...
1984 Jeep $crambler - Lifted/Locked on 35s/Caged/RTT Rack/Etc... 2004 Dodge Ram Quad Cab 4x4 6spd Diesel - Gauges/CB/2M Radio/Lorenz Bilstein 5100 Suspension with DP Leaf Springs/Carli Long Travel Airbags 2002 Hawk FWC - With all the goodies to keep the wife a "happy camper" "Paved Roads... Another example of wasteful government spending."

#16 bsharp007

bsharp007

• Members
  • 250 posts
  • LocationNorCal

Posted 09 December 2008 - 05:00 PM

Thanks for the post Stan. This was my first mod in my Eagle FWC because the stock mechanical thermostat tends to cycle on and off too much. I just went to Home Depot and picked up one of their cheaper digital thermostats. It was easy to install and works great. I highly recommend this mod.

Will
2005 Tacoma
Eagle

#17 DLN

DLN

• Members
  • 1,111 posts

Posted 12 December 2008 - 12:12 AM

Stan,

I just reviewed your post for the correct wiring layout, thanks for doing our homework for us. Also, you might want to replace those batteries in the home thermostat, they have likely served their time.

#18 Yukon

Yukon

• Members
  • 234 posts
  • LocationEdmonds WA

Posted 15 December 2008 - 11:21 PM

I don't think they make the 42995B any more. I just bought the 42999B at Fred Meyer (NorthWest) store for $26.00. I have installed it and it works fine. I think Lowes also sells this brand.

The lowest temp that you can set it for is 45 degrees F. Use the hookup connections that Stan used W, and Rh. Leave the jumper in there.

Chris (aka Yukon)

#19 DLN

DLN

• Members
  • 1,111 posts

Posted 22 December 2008 - 05:18 PM

I installed the Hunter 42999B last week and outside of a little adjusting in the wire location it was a piece of cake per Stan's wiring instructions. Fired right up and easy to set and use. I think the ability to set a temp and leave it is going to be the unit's best feature as opposed to the guessing you had to do with the stock unit. Now we just need to try it out properly on an over nighter, unfortunately that will not be until spring, seems like a long way off.

#20 ScottBailey

ScottBailey

• Members
  • 649 posts
  • LocationMesa, AZ

Posted 31 January 2009 - 05:14 PM

Sadly, I did install the digital thermostat and step down converter BEFORE the next trip. Should have been camping!

I selected a Honeywell thermostat because it was not significantly larger than the OEM, it was cheap, and available on Amazon.

The terminals to attach your thermostat wiring to are Rh and W. It is my understanding either wire can go to either terminal, it's just a close of the loop. The Rh to Rc loop (Hot-hot Hot-cold) is irrelevant for us and counter productive if you accidentally push over to cool. I suppose you could wire a swampy, etc, up to it though... Then you'd need to know more about your wiring...

I used some of the parts from this step down kit with this chip to build a 12v to 3.3v step down circuit to power the thermostat from the camper battery. Basically, I installed the jumper, ignored the resistors, and replaced the included 7806 6v output chip with the new 3.3v output chip.

The circuit board is wired into the fuse block and clipped to the battery terminals.

In hindsight, I really should take the thermostat apart to see if it has an internal voltage regulator that can take a 12v input... Damn, I'm almost certain I know what I'm doing when Jake takes his nap today.

Enough speculation, on to the pictures!

Before:
Just a quick referance snap before the mod.
Posted Image

Wires for 3.3v:
Showing the 3.3v wires fished from thermostat location down to the fuse block.
Posted Image

'W' and 'Rh' attached:
Thermostat is wired.
Posted Image

Testing the step down converter:
Yep, the sun heats the back of the house to 80 degrees in January.
Posted Image

Installed:
I show the old thermostat for size reference.
Posted Image

Scott Bailey -- W7SEB
2007 F350 XLT Diesel CC SRW SB 4x4
Cheap tent and a Partner Steel stove. 
Future? Really like the Hiatus, but I'm broke AF, so dreaming about a DIY.
SOLD: 2008 ATC Panther:dinette, 5th wheel

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users