33 replies to this topic

#11 georgem

georgem

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 06 January 2009 - 03:28 AM

did some hiking and camping at a place outside Cloudcroft called Bluff Springs, ages ago when I was a Boy Scout...wound up being stationed at Holloman next to White Sands years later...if you've never been there definately worth the visit

would like to suggest the area around Chymayo, up north between Sante Fe and Taos, pretty touristy probably but interesting area to poke around...great restaurant with fantastic Sangria!

wife and i will most likely be around the Cimmarron area for a few days this summer...son is spending his summer working the scout camp there

ditto on the Gila, cliff dwellings, City of Rocks, Silver City

Highz, when i saw your location of Cloudcroft, brought back fond memories...grew up in El Paso
George 2005 Nissan Titan 4x4, ATC Panther

#12 highz

highz

Retreaded

• Members
  • 1,816 posts
  • LocationSacramento Mountains, NM

Posted 06 January 2009 - 03:56 AM

George,

Small world. The flow from Bluff Springs may be lower than you remember, after several years of drought, but it's still a pretty place.

Holloman has grown. It's now the home of the F-22 Raptors. I'm afraid that to me, it's mainly a source of sonic booms and light pollution. In fact our telescope has "Holloman light baffles" to keep out the scattered light from the base. Without Holloman, though, Alamogordo would dry up and blow away. How long were you stationed there?

One place I haven't explored is the Franklin mountains near El Paso. Any recommendations for that area?

#13 georgem

georgem

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 06 January 2009 - 04:38 AM

haven't seen Holloman since 1979...many moons ago...but spent my last year in the Air Force there...used to get to patrol all the way out to White Sands at night....pretty neat exploring....seems to me used to be able to see the solar observatory on the top of the mountains from the desert floor during the day, or is that my imagination?

wish i could be of help regarding the Franklin Mtns....remember a place called Hueco Tanks east of El Paso on the highway to Carlsbad...would like to see the the area around Old Masilla near Las Cruces again...just takes to long to get there from here...

i got a kick out of reading Buzzman's post about how far it was between places once you get out in the southwest....i remember!!

#14 highz

highz

Retreaded

• Members
  • 1,816 posts

Posted 06 January 2009 - 06:40 AM

I went online to find a pic of the Dunn solar telescope from White Sands, and danged if I couldn't find one. Maybe you did imagine it.:rolleyes: However, if you did, it's a mass hallucination. And speaking of White Sands, that's another interesting spot to visit on a New Mexico tour!

Hueco Tanks - I'm embarrassed to say I live so close and haven't been there. I'll have to fix that.

You mentioned Chimayo in the north - yeah! Worth visiting. Also, up near the Colorado border is the Cumbres & Toltec Scenic Railroad. You board it in Chama. If you can get a ticket, it's a beautiful ride. http://www.cumbrestoltec.com/

So much to see...

#15 highz

highz

Retreaded

• Members
  • 1,816 posts

Posted 06 January 2009 - 06:45 AM

Apologies for the wasted bandwidth. A visit in March couldn't include the Cumbres & Toltec - Too early and too much snow. They don't open until May. Sure you can't get away again then, Captain? May is when there are more spring wildflowers, too.

#16 georgem

georgem

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 06 January 2009 - 07:56 AM

highz,

think i found it

#17 captainkettel

captainkettel

• Members
  • 185 posts

Posted 06 January 2009 - 07:35 PM

Thanks for all the great tips! Looks like New Mexico will be a great place to explore. I have starting to juggle my work schedule lately. I might just take a few months off and see if I really want to retire. There are just so many things to see and do. I'll keep you all posted if I decide to become a semi-full time traveler. :thumb:

#18 Mark W. Ingalls

Mark W. Ingalls

• Members
  • 1,248 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 06 January 2009 - 08:29 PM

I have starting to juggle my work schedule lately. I might just take a few months off and see if I really want to retire. There are just so many things to see and do. I'll keep you all posted if I decide to become a semi-full time traveler. :thumb:

Why not just change your career enough to where you can do it from home? Home can be on the road nowadays.

#19 captainkettel

captainkettel

• Members
  • 185 posts

Posted 06 January 2009 - 10:55 PM

Mark, I've been in the Fire Service for a little over 35 years. I have been a career Firefighter and then Captain for the last 21 years. I love my job dearly! If and when I retire it is not going to be to go to work somewhere else. Right now we only work 8-9 days a month. But when the time seems right I am just going to travel, do volunteer work, and collect my check. Doesn't sound too bad, does it? Then I will be traveling to all those places we all dream about.:D

#20 Barko1

Barko1

• Members
  • 1,635 posts
  • LocationSouthern Appalachians

Posted 07 January 2009 - 02:32 PM

HighZ, been to your work location! Great motorcycle ride and there is good camping when a bit warmer. I work at NMSU, at least for 3 more weeks, then retire.

To stay thread relevant: BLM has a great little campground on the East side of the Organ Moutains over looking the Tularosa/White Sands Basin!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users