#21 highz

highz

Retreaded

• Members
  • 1,816 posts
  • LocationSacramento Mountains, NM

Posted 07 January 2009 - 10:05 PM

Barko,

Is that Aguirre Spring campground you are referring to? Good that you thought of that. A visitor really should get a view of the Organ Mountains, too. As I recall, it's not free to camp there, but was very reasonable.

I'm technically an NMSU employee too, (though the funding comes from a consortium).

Congrats on retirement, Barko. I can hardly wait for the "rule of 75" to kick in for me, so I can do more wandering too.

#22 Barko1

Barko1

• Members
  • 1,635 posts
  • LocationSouthern Appalachians

Posted 08 January 2009 - 12:57 AM

Yes, Aguirre Springs, BLM so I would think cheap and really great views, then run into cruces for a breakfast burrito:thumb:

#23 brett13

brett13

Lovecock

• Members
  • 1,026 posts

Posted 03 March 2009 - 10:07 PM

We're planning a trip to southern NM the last week in March, weather permitting. Thinking about this Aguilla place and also City of Rocks. If you see me, say hello.
Once had 2007 Tundra TRD 4x4 5.7 SR5 w/ Firestone bags, Bilstein 5100s in front, Total Chaos shackles rear, 275/70/18 E rated Michelin LTX AT2
2007 ATC Bobcat for sale

Now, just roaming around in a stock Land Cruiser (not stock for long though... bawahahha [evil laugh])

#24 DirtyDog

DirtyDog

Captain Leisure

• Site Team
  • 3,157 posts
  • LocationEugene, Oregon

Posted 03 March 2009 - 10:17 PM

We're planning a trip to southern NM the last week in March, weather permitting. Thinking about this Aguilla place and also City of Rocks. If you see me, say hello.

I'm thinking of hitting the city of rocks about that time.

#25 highz

highz

Retreaded

• Members
  • 1,816 posts

Posted 04 March 2009 - 02:15 AM

If I can pick the lock to my leg shackles at work, I'll try to escape long enough to drive over to meet you guys.

If I can't get away, and if you want to wander over to the Sacramento mountains, I'll give you a tour of Apache Point Observatory.

'99 Ford Ranger XLT, '08 FWC Eagle
-------------
“the clearest way into the Universe is through a forest wilderness.” - John Muir

#26 DirtyDog

DirtyDog

Captain Leisure

• Site Team
  • 3,157 posts
  • LocationEugene, Oregon

Posted 04 March 2009 - 02:16 AM

If I can't get away, and if you want to wander over to the Sacramento mountains, I'll give you a tour of Apache Point Observatory.

What is that closest to? I want to check it out on the map.

#27 highz

highz

Retreaded

• Members
  • 1,816 posts

Posted 04 March 2009 - 02:38 AM

It's right next to the National Solar Observatory in Sunspot, NM. We are in the Lincoln National Forest, with plenty of camping opportunities. The village of Cloudcroft is also nearby.

You can Google Apache Point Observatory to get a map.

-------------
“the clearest way into the Universe is through a forest wilderness.” - John Muir

#28 Darryla

Darryla

• Members
  • 318 posts
  • LocationLivermore, CA

Posted 04 March 2009 - 03:48 AM

I don't think it was quite spring time, but New Mexico has some interesting canyons and I forgot the name of the place where the Indians lived on the walls of the canyons, but they are pretty cool to look at and . Be careful buying the jewelery. Most of it is fake or you can haggle and get it much cheaper. Have fun.

#29 brett13

brett13

Lovecock

• Members
  • 1,026 posts

Posted 04 March 2009 - 05:21 AM

DD- Cloudcroft is east of Alamogordo, NM a short ways. Not far from White Sands too, which is always worth a visit.

highz-I thought the observatory was closed in winter? Do you work there? And is your avatar a pic of City of Rocks?

I know northern NM is hurting for snow right now, I imagine your area is too huh?
Once had 2007 Tundra TRD 4x4 5.7 SR5 w/ Firestone bags, Bilstein 5100s in front, Total Chaos shackles rear, 275/70/18 E rated Michelin LTX AT2
2007 ATC Bobcat for sale

Now, just roaming around in a stock Land Cruiser (not stock for long though... bawahahha [evil laugh])

#30 highz

highz

Retreaded

• Members
  • 1,816 posts

Posted 04 March 2009 - 06:06 AM

The observatory is open year-round. Winter is primetime with nice long nights. Yep, I work there and on those nice long nights in winter we all get sleep deprived and a little crazy. Now that spring approaches, we hope that sanity will return, though in my case, it may not make a noticeable difference ;)

Yes, my avatar is at City of Rocks.

Snow - I think I remember what that looks like. I had my X-C skis out three times this winter, and that's all. The forest service sign says the fire danger is already high. It's going to be a scary fire season if we don't get some rain. If we don't, the Lincoln NF will probably have to close until the monsoon hits. The last time the LNF closed it was from May - July, so a March/April trip should be okay.

I thought the snowpack up north was good this year. Not so?

-------------

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users