• Please log in to reply
268 replies to this topic

#131 Zoomad

Zoomad

• Members
  • 289 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 16 October 2018 - 04:24 AM

Anybody looking for one of these awesome (I'm biased...) Blazer camper combos, yet another one has "popped-up" on craigslist.  This one is probably as original as they can get.  Barn find 82.  As far as the pics go, zero rust.  Even the particle board is solid.   

https://denver.craig...6724398525.html

#132 ntsqd

ntsqd

Custom User Title

• Members
  • 2,881 posts
  • LocationNorth So.CA

Posted 16 October 2018 - 04:48 PM

As I mentioned in that thread, I find it interesting that it has the tall air filter lid that I've only ever seen OEM on 6.2L diesels and 1ton BBC's. I added one to my '91 V1500 5.7L Sub and to my '73 350/350 SBSS C10 so that I could use the bigger air filter on both of them. Has me wondering what other subtle tricks might have been done to that rig.

Hum, for being a self-professed Ford guy I sure seem to have/had a lot of Chevy's........ ;)

Thom

Where does that road go?

#133 Zoomad

Zoomad

• Members
  • 289 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 17 October 2018 - 03:01 AM

Anything is possible on these trucks.   Probably got added along the way like you did.  

#134 Zoomad

Zoomad

• Members
  • 289 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 10 November 2018 - 01:12 AM

Nothing really earth shattering going on with the K5camper other than driving it.  I need to fix the propane cabinet lock and get some better locks for the interior cabinets as they pop loose and open off road pretty easy.   Work has me leaving in the dark and coming home in the dark so time to work gets relegated to weekends.  

I need to redo the bench to be more sturdy and access to storage.  I need to decide to redo the mattress and cushions or just plan on sticking with my Klymitt sleeping pads.   

In the meantime I'm on the hunt for a shot in the power production department.  The 5.3 has done me well but between the weight and the wind drag I need more torque down low.  So the search is on for an L29 Vortec 454.  If an 8.1 happens to be found for the right price I'd go for it.  The L29 is more common though and with the world swapping LS engines into everything, the L29's are getting overlooked and undervalued.  Once the doner is found we'll be spending some time in the Bigassgas Garage with some swap action this winter.  Besides, I'll be able to fund a good chunk of this with selling the 5.3 complete for somebody looking to do the swap.  

But I can look back on the trips I've made with the truck/camper combo and say it was a success.  Sure I've got a few things to tweak, but all in all it's working quite well.  A week in the desert for it's maiden voyage proved it's worth.  

27837064377_f8bc165d5d_b.jpgIMGP0023 by Rob Zulian, on Flickr

40895986170_638f9ca611_b.jpgIMGP0044 by Rob Zulian, on Flickr

I completed 4 separate mountain runs in Colorado with no major issues and crossed the top of multiple off road passes and trails.  

Red Cone/Webster Pass

Middle Fork of the Swan river

Pomeroy Lake x2

Hancock Lake and Pass x2

Cumberland Pass

Tin Cup Pass

Mosquito Pass

Wheeler Lake

Red Cone:

29292619188_f383cf3883_b.jpgIMGP0022 by Rob Zulian, on Flickr

Hancock Pass:

43677701332_7c61cc828f_b.jpgIMGP0005 (2) by Rob Zulian, on Flickr

Tin Cup Pass:

43725431981_ba8b9eb8c0_b.jpgIMGP0027 (2) by Rob Zulian, on Flickr

Wheeler Lake:

42771799120_f23415b1f9_b.jpgIMGP0013 by Rob Zulian, on Flickr

Mosquito Pass:

29640726927_763c539373_b.jpgWheeler lake and Mosquito pass trail run 2018 by Rob Zulian, on Flickr

2nd time on Pomeroy:

29938821277_50cb1211d7_b.jpgPomeroy lake trail and Hancock pass by Rob Zulian, on Flickr

I can say it's been a blast to be able to go off road and camp so easily.   I'm so happy I was able to find one for my truck and that I used it to it's fullest this year.  Looking forward to many more trips in the future.  I am totally appreciative of the help I've gained directly from this group and indirectly by other builds that I've gained ideas and insight from on this site.  

Now if I could squeeze in one more run before full blown winter sets in that would be excellent.  Not sure if I have the time though..

#135 Bigskyxj

Bigskyxj

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts
  • LocationMontana

Posted 10 November 2018 - 04:27 PM

What an awesome build. Great job.

#136 CougarCouple

CougarCouple

• Members
  • 1,376 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas

Posted 11 November 2018 - 04:10 AM

Hay there zoomad
Some really nice photos there also the link ones. Wife and I were fortunate enough to visit your neck of the woods in August. Did the Animas Forks trail from Silverton end in the F250 that was cool. Spent some time relaxing in Ouray also. Will continue to follow your journey.
Be careful with the power, should probably go with 60’s front and rear cause you’re gunna find the weak link.

Russ
F250 extended cab, Cougar from ATC. You guys rock thank you!

#137 Zoomad

Zoomad

• Members
  • 289 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 11 November 2018 - 07:42 PM

Hay there zoomad
Some really nice photos there also the link ones. Wife and I were fortunate enough to visit your neck of the woods in August. Did the Animas Forks trail from Silverton end in the F250 that was cool. Spent some time relaxing in Ouray also. Will continue to follow your journey.
Be careful with the power, should probably go with 60’s front and rear cause you’re gunna find the weak link.

Russ

That area is one I've only driven through on the way to other places. I'm looking forward to explore that area next year.  

As far as the power is concerned, I've already found the weak link in the Dana 44 with the piddly little 5.3.    Unless a Dana 60 falls in my lap for cheap the 44 is staying put.   My buddy Larry wheeled the Blue K10 with a 454 and later 8.1 for years running a similar D44 axle up front.  Driving smart and using a little more finesse and less of a hammer down technique allowed his to last a good long time before swapping to a D60.  Even then the D44 he had was re-used in his 8.1L powered 88 Suburban.  Still surviving.  

I've got to perform a little maintenance too.  I've got a u-joint cap creeping out of a yoke on the passenger side which is exactly what caused my problem on the last failure to the other side.  Chrome-moly shafts are the solution.  Throwing a locker in the rear 14 bolt full floater would take some of the load off the front.  

#138 CougarCouple

CougarCouple

• Members
  • 1,376 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas

Posted 12 November 2018 - 04:25 AM

I hear ya! I guess all you can do is keep an eye open, eventually won't will pop. Didn't know you had a corporate in the rear. I like to get out of Vegas in August so would like to go back to San Juans then. If we're there around the same time would like to meet.

Russ
F250 extended cab, Cougar from ATC. You guys rock thank you!

#139 ntsqd

ntsqd

Custom User Title

• Members
  • 2,881 posts
  • LocationNorth So.CA

Posted 12 November 2018 - 01:48 PM

It that 14bff is an open now then a Detroit is simple, easy, and the least expensive option. You probably already knew that. I had one in my Subs (same axle under both) and loved it in that 130" WB. Had one in my 112" WB Yota Xcab and didn't care for it on the pavement, loved it in the dirt. I've seen them be totally docile in SWB rigs and I've seen them be cantankerous ogres in SWB rigs, all of them the supposed "Soft Locker". I dunno what to think.

Thom

Where does that road go?

#140 Zoomad

Zoomad

• Members
  • 289 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 17 November 2018 - 04:04 AM

I hear ya! I guess all you can do is keep an eye open, eventually won't will pop. Didn't know you had a corporate in the rear. I like to get out of Vegas in August so would like to go back to San Juans then. If we're there around the same time would like to meet.

Russ

I wheeled too long with a 12bolt semi floater having the fear of a snapped shaft kill the fun. A 14 bolt is the only way to go for peace of mind off-road.  Keep me in the loop when you are going to be out this way.   We'll see if I can time a run down to the San Juans then too.  

It that 14bff is an open now then a Detroit is simple, easy, and the least expensive option. You probably already knew that. I had one in my Subs (same axle under both) and loved it in that 130" WB. Had one in my 112" WB Yota Xcab and didn't care for it on the pavement, loved it in the dirt. I've seen them be totally docile in SWB rigs and I've seen them be cantankerous ogres in SWB rigs, all of them the supposed "Soft Locker". I dunno what to think.

Yep, it's an open carrier.   A Detroit is the most cost effective way to lock up the rear.  It may happen.  The 454 idea is gaining steam though as I've located one and am waiting for the seller to get back into town.  

Meanwhile on Craigslist...    https://denver.craig...6742752230.html

Another 91 Blazer/FWC combo but powered by a 5.9L 12 valve cummins.  $20k asking price though.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: K5, Blazer, 4wc, 4wheel, FWC, pop-up, camper, crawlabago

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users