• Please log in to reply
268 replies to this topic

#141 Dphillip

Dphillip

• Members
  • 108 posts
  • LocationOmaha Nebraska

Posted 17 November 2018 - 10:17 PM

Red Cone is one terrifying trail especially the last down hill section.
Omaha Nebraska

#142 Zoomad

Zoomad

• Members
  • 289 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 18 November 2018 - 04:23 AM

Red Cone is one terrifying trail especially the last down hill section.

You betcha.   I think the wrinkles are finally out of my seat cover from that one.   I knew it was hairy going in.  I read up on it through my trail guide book and multiple trail websites.   I definitely missed my granny low 4 speed from my old K5 on that downhill, but the deeper low range in the 241 made up for part of it.  Plus not having to put my left foot on the clutch pedal allowed me to stand (and I mean STAND) on the brake pedal with both feet.  

#143 ntsqd

ntsqd

Custom User Title

• Members
  • 2,881 posts
  • LocationNorth So.CA

Posted 18 November 2018 - 06:54 PM

Thought of going Hydraboost? The Bronc-up came to me with it and being able to easily modulate between gentle braking and locked-up on 37's with low pedal effort sold me on them. Had it installed in our CTD and that has made panic stops much more easily managed. Am thinking to convert the '73 SB-SS using CUCV parts.

Edited by ntsqd, 18 November 2018 - 06:56 PM.

Thom

Where does that road go?

#144 Zoomad

Zoomad

• Members
  • 289 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 18 November 2018 - 11:53 PM

Thought of going Hydraboost? The Bronc-up came to me with it and being able to easily modulate between gentle braking and locked-up on 37's with low pedal effort sold me on them. Had it installed in our CTD and that has made panic stops much more easily managed. Am thinking to convert the '73 SB-SS using CUCV parts.

Already have the parts to do so.  Actually, I had them before the Red Cone trip and wanted to kick my own tail for not doing the install at that point. 

To do the full swap you need the brake pedal too.  The hole for the pushrod is not in the same spot as vacuum systems.  Mine will probably go in at the time of a big block swap as it will be easier to do then.  

#145 k5nutt

k5nutt

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
  • LocationGrand Junction Colorado

Posted 20 November 2018 - 05:06 AM

I believe the Denver/Phoenix K5 with pop top and cummins was done in a shop in MT if i remember right years back as i saw the pics online. Trying to find it online is kicking my butt currently.

A veteran - whether active duty, retired, or national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America," for an amount of "up to and including my life."

#146 Zoomad

Zoomad

• Members
  • 289 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 26 November 2018 - 03:48 AM

Back on horsepower front.  The 454 has landed.   The guy I bought it from delivered it over to my buddy's house Friday night.  I have a laundry list of things I need to facilitate the swap but it's pretty manageable.  Can't wait to get the rat in it's new home.    

#147 CougarCouple

CougarCouple

• Members
  • 1,376 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas

Posted 26 November 2018 - 04:17 AM

Following.
F250 extended cab, Cougar from ATC. You guys rock thank you!

#148 Zoomad

Zoomad

• Members
  • 289 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 01 December 2018 - 05:23 AM

My buddy degreased the engine today.  Plugs looked good, no oil deposits or any deposits for that matter.   He did find somebody had the intake off at least once and broke a corner of the upper plenum.  Good news is he has 2 intakes in stock in his spare pile. 

#149 CougarCouple

CougarCouple

• Members
  • 1,376 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas

Posted 01 December 2018 - 02:54 PM

Bet your pretty jazzed zoomad, we had a 7 liter in a class B Roadtrek definitely had the power. I had to pull the intake due to a bad gasket problem GM had. Saw it on a V6 motor also. Coolant to oil cross contamination. That might explain the reason the intake was pulled, I went with GM replacment gaskets they upgraded the gasket to fix the problem. One things for sure the new motor is gunna fill the engine compartment:)

Russ
F250 extended cab, Cougar from ATC. You guys rock thank you!

#150 Zoomad

Zoomad

• Members
  • 289 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 07 December 2018 - 04:00 AM

Bet your pretty jazzed zoomad, we had a 7 liter in a class B Roadtrek definitely had the power. I had to pull the intake due to a bad gasket problem GM had. Saw it on a V6 motor also. Coolant to oil cross contamination. That might explain the reason the intake was pulled, I went with GM replacment gaskets they upgraded the gasket to fix the problem. One things for sure the new motor is gunna fill the engine compartment:)

Russ

I'm jazzed for sure.  The L29 is an great engine overshadowed by the LS engine family and the bigger brother 8.1.   As far as installing into a Squarebody, it's a bolt in affair.  No engine mount adapter brackets like I had to use putting the 5.3 in there.  

The engine will be completely resealed front to back, top to bottom with Fel-Pro seals and gaskets. It will be sealed tight.   

The fat block will fill the bay more, but the nice thing is there is lots of room still.  

The hunt is on for the NV4500 trans though.   After taking some measurements on my existing 700r4 to t-case adapter and my buddies nv4500 equipped 89 Suburban, the overall length from bellhousing face to the mounting surface of the t-case is the same length at 27 3/4".  Meaning, I can install the manual and not require any driveshaft modifications over what I have now.  Added bonus will be the improved low gear for crawling and better gear splits.   

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: K5, Blazer, 4wc, 4wheel, FWC, pop-up, camper, crawlabago

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Facebook (1)