51 replies to this topic

#11 DirtyDog

DirtyDog

Captain Leisure

• Site Team
  • 3,157 posts
  • LocationEugene, Oregon

Posted 09 January 2009 - 07:16 PM

Yeah b team that really is the problem, its a funny angle of attack and its pretty high off the ground. I'm sure I looked pretty funny trying to hold a 5 gallon container over my head and get the spout into the port and hold it all in place just right.

Dave that siphon might be just the thing.

#12 Barko1

Barko1

• Members
  • 1,635 posts
  • LocationSouthern Appalachians

Posted 09 January 2009 - 07:34 PM

Just a good piece of plastic hose in the jug on the roof siphoning down, seems pretty simply. Being new here I haven't thought about this issue but this seems good.

#13 pvstoy

pvstoy

• Members
  • 2,775 posts
  • LocationCarson City, NV

Posted 09 January 2009 - 09:22 PM

Out on the road I use a funnel with a peice of heater hose to shove down the hole and turn the funnel up.

In the garage use a 5 gallon water jug and took off the valve and have a length of heater hose and use a ladder and walk up and stick it in and it drains out fast.

Patrick

2015 FWC Hawk Flatbed

#14 EdoHart

EdoHart

Grasshopper

• Members
  • 1,036 posts
  • LocationSanta Maria, CA

Posted 10 January 2009 - 02:23 AM

I too have considered this and think that a 2 liter soda bottle neck would fit in the filler port. I haven't tried it yet, it's just a thought. I don't buy soda in such large quantities. If beer came in 2 liter bottles I would have an answer by now. By-the-way, I'm not suggesting filling the tank with beer, but to use a rinsed out bottle to fill it with water.;)

I've seen things that will allow you to screw two bottles top-to-top for elementary school science classes. Because the screw-on top for a 2 liter bottle is pretty standard, there must be something out there with a tube on the end that screws onto a bottle. If nothing else you could make a funnel from the top of a soda bottle with such a device.

#15 brett13

brett13

Lovecock

• Members
  • 1,026 posts

Posted 15 January 2009 - 04:30 AM

Probably not going to solve your problem, but this could be useful (for something):
http://www.campingwo...ank-fillers/594
Once had 2007 Tundra TRD 4x4 5.7 SR5 w/ Firestone bags, Bilstein 5100s in front, Total Chaos shackles rear, 275/70/18 E rated Michelin LTX AT2
2007 ATC Bobcat for sale

Now, just roaming around in a stock Land Cruiser (not stock for long though... bawahahha [evil laugh])

#16 masterplumber

masterplumber

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 81 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 15 January 2009 - 04:58 AM

most major plumbing suppliers carry a variety of clear tubing sizes - find one that slips over yourspout & into the port & pour away. That said I know from experience that your arms do get tired holding 5 gallons up in the air that high so some type of syphon device would be trick.

Doug

#17 silverstriketim

silverstriketim

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts
  • LocationReno, Nevada

Posted 16 January 2009 - 06:41 PM

Reading this thread reminds me of days gone by and all I can think is "beer bong"!!

#18 HikerCook

HikerCook

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts
  • LocationEl Dorado, CA

Posted 17 January 2009 - 05:15 PM

I have filtered water at the taps in my house but not at the outside faucets so I routinely fill the tank in my Bobcat with one of these. With a 3 gallon capacity it's easy to handle and the tapered spout fits into the fill port on the camper.
http://www.rei.com/product/605745

Attached Thumbnails

• 605745Lrg_1.jpg

"Moonlight Mile" '07 Nissan Frontier, '07 ATC Bobcat

#19 EdoHart

EdoHart

Grasshopper

• Members
  • 1,036 posts
  • LocationSanta Maria, CA

Posted 17 January 2009 - 06:52 PM

I have filtered water at the taps in my house but not at the outside faucets so I routinely fill the tank in my Bobcat with one of these. With a 3 gallon capacity it's easy to handle and the tapered spout fits into the fill port on the camper.
http://www.rei.com/product/605745

I ordered one shortly after seeing this. Shipping was kind of expensive, but what-the-heck.

#20 Sportsman Matt

Sportsman Matt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 02 February 2009 - 05:56 AM

I've used the collapsable clear containers, and best thing to do is get a piece of hose that fits snug on the spout, about 2 feet of clear hose. This way you can see how fast the flow is into the Water Fill of your camper. Lots of good ideas, the other thing I use is the collapsable 5 gallon containers with the spout valve you turn 90 degrees to close. I fit a 2 foot and 3 foot 1/2" ID clear hose onto the spout and use the 2 foot for filling the tank onboard and also the 3 foot 1/2" hose fits my faucet in the camper so I can fill the container from the faucet in my camper to use by the fire in case there isn't a water source nearby to draw a fire bucket full of water.
Fly Fishing the North East, New England, and Eventually the world.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users