My roof is popping like an aluminum soda can

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#11 camper rich

camper rich

• Members
  • 357 posts

Posted 15 November 2017 - 02:00 AM

Our 2016 had this problem our first night in Baja.  We were parked facing directly into the wind but the wind was in the 60-70 mph range.  From then on it made popping noises in as little as 15 mph winds and it didn't seem to matter what direction it was facing.  We returned it to our dealer who returned it to FWC and they repaired it.  

Occasionally there is still a little popping but it is much improved.    I didn't mention it is a 2016 Grandby with Yakima 

tracks and a 160 watt solar panel.  

#12 Wallowa

Wallowa

Double Ought

• Members
  • 2,173 posts
  • LocationNE Oregon

Posted 15 November 2017 - 03:31 PM

Our 2016 had this problem our first night in Baja.  We were parked facing directly into the wind but the wind was in the 60-70 mph range.  From then on it made popping noises in as little as 15 mph winds and it didn't seem to matter what direction it was facing.  We returned it to our dealer who returned it to FWC and they repaired it.  

Occasionally there is still a little popping but it is much improved.    I didn't mention it is a 2016 Grandby with Yakima 

tracks and a 160 watt solar panel.  

What exactly was the "repair"; how did they fix it?

Thanks...Phil

#13 2tallDA

2tallDA

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 15 November 2017 - 03:42 PM

Wouldn't a little thicker roof do with bracing perhaps. For what FWC charges a fix must be out there.

Do the ATC owners report this flaw?

2007 Ram 2500 4wd,5.9 Cummins,G-56,suspended by Kore,Carli and Thuren. Anarchy EFI Live.

2000 Northstar TC800.

#14 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,605 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 15 November 2017 - 03:55 PM

Wouldn't a little thicker roof do with bracing perhaps. For what FWC charges a fix must be out there.

Do the ATC owners report this flaw?

No, ATC has chosen to stay with a two piece roof that has screws going into the ribs.  I believe they also use different insulation.   My old Grandby had oil canning, as mentioned in one of the linked threads, but never in the ATC Bobcat.   I think the Bobcat roof is quieter in the rain as well.

I am haunted by waters

#15 Alley-Kat

Alley-Kat

Elder Statesman

• Members
  • 989 posts
  • LocationPacific Ocean

Posted 15 November 2017 - 04:44 PM

I thought someone, maybe Ted (?), a year or more ago, had this issue on a brand new FWC and it turned out to be the adhesive that was used to hold the one piece roof to the ribs. I thought I heard that a complete roof replacement at the factory with newer and better adhesive was the fix. Maybe my old memory is not right.

As Steve says, the ATC's don't have this issue. 

#16 Wallowa

Wallowa

Double Ought

• Members
  • 2,173 posts
  • LocationNE Oregon

Posted 15 November 2017 - 04:51 PM

I thought someone, maybe Ted (?), a year or more ago, had this issue on a brand new FWC and it turned out to be the adhesive that was used to hold the one piece roof to the ribs. I thought I heard that a complete roof replacement at the factory with newer and better adhesive was the fix. Maybe my old memory is not right.

As Steve says, the ATC's don't have this issue. 

"Paging Stan"...Stan what is/was it that FWC can do to eliminate or lessen the "oil can" popping in a strong wind?

As for thicker aluminum or anything that increases the weight of the roof; that perhaps would create lifting, lowering issues.

I realize that my Yaktrax as does the solar requires holes in the one piece roof sheet...but just for me, I prefer the fewest number of holes through any of the roof or skin.

All said and done, it seems this popping problem does not constitute a structural or functional problem; it is only an annoyance.

Phil

Edited by Wallowa, 15 November 2017 - 05:31 PM.

#17 camper rich

camper rich

• Members
  • 357 posts

Posted 15 November 2017 - 05:02 PM

What exactly was the "repair"; how did they fix it?

Thanks...Phil

They removed the old roof skin and replaced it with a new one, tapeing it down in more places.  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users