Sedro F. Woolley

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts
  • LocationNW Washington State

Posted 28 September 2021 - 08:29 PM

Thanks, Vic!

Yes, I will see how things go with just the Li battery and the other adjustments/mods to the existing charging capabilities before I dive into the alternator/DC ti DC charger part.  A question about upgrading to 6g or bigger wire:  I haven't torn into them yet, but I'm guessing that the existing female plug in the pickup bed and the male plug on the camper won't take wire that big. And if I did need a separate "motor running" wire, that would mean another terminal in the plugs, correct?  I have 4 wires now. Are there more robust plug systems with more terminals you can recommend?   

2009 Tacoma 4wd DCLB
2011 Finch

#92 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,968 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 28 September 2021 - 09:06 PM

Thanks, Vic!

Yes, I will see how things go with just the Li battery and the other adjustments/mods to the existing charging capabilities before I dive into the alternator/DC ti DC charger part.  A question about upgrading to 6g or bigger wire:  I haven't torn into them yet, but I'm guessing that the existing female plug in the pickup bed and the male plug on the camper won't take wire that big. And if I did need a separate "motor running" wire, that would mean another terminal in the plugs, correct?  I have 4 wires now. Are there more robust plug systems with more terminals you can recommend?   

I and others here use "Anderson Power Pole" connectors.  Passing through the truck bed requires drilling some holes, and lining those holes with grommets so that they don't abrade the wires.  Yes, you would need another wire for the "motor running" wire.

#93 Sedro F. Woolley

Sedro F. Woolley

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 29 September 2021 - 12:41 AM

Got it, Vic.  Thanks!  Realized after clicking on the link to your electrical system thread that you have covered the Anderson Power Pole connectors and a lot more there.  Great work!

2009 Tacoma 4wd DCLB
2011 Finch

#94 Sedro F. Woolley

Sedro F. Woolley

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 29 September 2021 - 01:10 AM

So, I was about ready to "push freaking print" today and buy the BB 100Ah battery, but I noticed that the bulk/absorption charge output for the IOTA DLS30 with the IQ LIFEPO module is 14.7V.  The manual for the BB10012 battery, however, states that the maximum bulk/absorption input is 14.6V.  I didn't know whether or not that difference is significant, so I called BattleBorn.

Ronny there said someone at IOTA had told him a while ago that they recommended using their IQ AGM module with an LiFePO4 battery instead of the IQ LIFEPO module.  He recommended I contact IOTA directly to get their take on the question. I'm waiting to hear back from them on it. Interestingly, the bulk/absorption and float charge voltage specs for the IQ AGM module are the same as for the IQ LIFEPO, (14.7V and 13.6V) so obviously there's more to it than just charging voltage. 

As usual, the devil seems to be in the details.

2009 Tacoma 4wd DCLB
2011 Finch

#95 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,968 posts

Posted 29 September 2021 - 02:02 AM

Sedro, in the short term, I would not worry about the IOTA.  Also, check in the sale price for the Renogy LiFePo4 batteries!  

#96 Sedro F. Woolley

Sedro F. Woolley

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 29 September 2021 - 08:42 PM

Yikes!  The Renogy deal looks like a no-brainer!

Thanks much, Vic!

2009 Tacoma 4wd DCLB
2011 Finch

#97 Sedro F. Woolley

Sedro F. Woolley

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 30 September 2021 - 12:23 AM

Hmm, maybe the Renogy 100Ah LiFePO4 battery ought to be a "brainer" after all.  Helluva sale price at US$500 vs $800 for the Battle Born, but then there seem to be some details, such as a better warranty for BB (10 year vs 5 year and with less limitations), higher testing standards (BB claims 75%-80% of capacity after 3K to 5K charge cycles, vs. Renogy 80% at 2K), BB minimum charging temp of 25F vs. Renogy's 32F, more experience base with BB vs. Renogy (is the latter new on the market?), BB cylindrical cells vs. Renogy flat cells (appears to be a range of opinion out there as to whether or not this makes a difference in durability).  The Bluetooth capability on the Renogy seems like a plus, though. 

Anyone out there have a Renogy RBT100LFP12-BT 100Ah lithium battery? 

2009 Tacoma 4wd DCLB
2011 Finch

#98 Sedro F. Woolley

Sedro F. Woolley

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 30 September 2021 - 02:22 AM

Ah well, I decided to quit dithering about it and ordered the Battle Born.  Still waiting to hear back from IOTA as to whether one of their little plug-in modules will work with my DLS30 converter/charger to charge the battery.  I understand that if I install the battery before I get that worked out, the 13.6V float charge from the DLS30 won't hurt anything as long as I don't leave the battery for a long period at 100% charge. And, if worse comes to worse, I'll replace the DLS30 with a PD145LV or other lithium-compatible converter/charger.

2009 Tacoma 4wd DCLB
2011 Finch

#99 Sedro F. Woolley

Sedro F. Woolley

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 02 October 2021 - 07:49 PM

Ah well, I decided to quit dithering about it and ordered the Battle Born.  Still waiting to hear back from IOTA as to whether one of their little plug-in modules will work with my DLS30 converter/charger to charge the battery. 

Heard back from IOTA tech support re the IQ4 LiFePO smart charger module for the DLS30 converter/charger:

"I would recommend using the IQ-LifePO with the DLS 30.
The battery manufacturer doesn't want the battery charged in the higher voltage range (14.2 - 14.6V) for long periods of time. Both modules have a high trigger at 14.6V which means the modules will begin the process to the next stage when the voltage hits this trigger.
For the IQ-LifePo that means the float stage (13.6V), the IQ-AGM will go into absorption (14.7V) for another 4hours.
The IQ-LifePo is a 2 stage module, while the IQ-AGM is a 3 stage module."

I'll forward IOTA's email to BattleBorn, since their tech guy didn't seem to be up to date on using the module with their battery. 

Looking forward to receiving and installing BattleBorn 100Ah LiFePO4 battery and IOTA IQ-LiFePO module this coming week.  Heading out with the truck/camper the following week for a two-week road trip, itinerary TBD.

2009 Tacoma 4wd DCLB
2011 Finch

#100 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,968 posts

Posted 03 October 2021 - 01:11 AM

good call on using the Li dongle given what IOTA tech support said.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users