Is there a broader market for a hard side pop-up

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 ardvark

ardvark

• Members
  • 163 posts

Posted 24 December 2017 - 01:09 PM

To date I believe that Alaskan TCs are the only ones selling hard side popups at a price point the majority of buyers can enter. I know there is some really high end stuff out there, but I doubt very many people can spend north of 100K for a TC. The demand for Alaskans is obvious by the number of folks searching for used ones, but I wonder if demand would increase still further with some changes in design.

So I have been toying with the idea of building a prototype popup with the idea of bringing it to market. From my previous work, I know component distributors, etc., and my mechanical skills are at least reasonable. There are features of the Alaskan I would change to appeal to a broader market, namely those who are not die hard off-roaders, but would like some of that flexibility.  My goal would be to compete at a higher volume than Alaskan currently generates. 

Here are a couple of questions. How important do you think it is it to have the ultra-low front profile of the Alaskan? The design I have in mind would have a higher front profile, although still well below a conventional hard side. Secondly, do you think the addition of a wet bath would attract more buyers? 

#2 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,596 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 24 December 2017 - 01:47 PM

My 2¢ worth. I like the Alaskan Campers a lot, but if they had a fiber glass floor tub and top, they would be even better. Low profile is very important. A wet bath, in my opinion is a waste. I’d even opt out of having a water heater, unless it was a tankless design like the Truma. An Alaskan design with Northern Lite construction methods and materials would have my interest.

I am haunted by waters

#3 ardvark

ardvark

• Members
  • 163 posts

Posted 24 December 2017 - 02:27 PM

The reason I ask about the the front profile is I don't like the way the front stores and opens. We have had to raise our Hallmark in some real driving rains at times and I would hate to have to do that with an Alaskan. It seems to me the inside would get soaked before you could get the fronts walls opened out. Could be wrong, I don't know. My wife and I have been searching around ourselves and then we began thinking that only way we would get what we want would be to build it ourselves and one idea led to another. :)

My overall thought is features are what is driving the RV market overall right now with a whole new breed of buyers. When my wife and I, growing up in RVing families started out in the 50 and 60s, things were pretty basic regardless of the type of RV. Before retiring last year, everything I worked on was going to remote controls and multiple flat screens. You can run the whole darn RV from your smart phone now on some units. I am thinking in terms of something kind of mid-range basic and crazy complex.

#4 klahanie

klahanie

• Validating
  • 932 posts
  • LocationSW BC

Posted 24 December 2017 - 10:33 PM

... to appeal to a broader market, namely those who are not die hard off-roaders, but would like some of that flexibility. 

Here are a couple of questions. How important do you think it is it to have the ultra-low front profile of the Alaskan? The design I have in mind would have a higher front profile, although still well below a conventional hard side. Secondly, do you think the addition of a wet bath would attract more buyers? 

My .02, Low profile is the #1 benefit of a pop up. Agreeded, the Alaskan folding sides are less than ideal but imo the buyer accepts them because of other features (including hard sides, hydraulic roof lift and a very nice interior). It follows then than that a popup overcab camper designed taller but without soft or folding sides would need offsetting features and benefits superior the current offerings.

I think a wet bath would be desirable and an important difference to the Alaskan.

I'm curious on your thoughts about this new breed of RV buyers - mentioned in post 3. Are you referring to "younger folks" or current owners ?

Do you see a future with sufficient people interested in expressly owning and driving something to "the outdoors" ?

#5 ardvark

ardvark

• Members
  • 163 posts

Posted 25 December 2017 - 02:48 AM

Now living in Tennessee, what I see happening here in the East is a bit different than the West as space in more limited. However, I think increasing numbers of folks are tiring or will tire of "camping" on top of one another in campgrounds, and not only that but the industry is taking an interest in promoting truck campers, which they did not do in the past, I think numbers will increase.

However, I think the new breed is much different than perhaps those of us who have been camping in the past. All categories of buyers are increasingly less willing to do without creature comforts like a wet bath or a flat screen and how that will impact those of us who scoff at those types of things remains to be seen. 

I don't want to sound like I am taking shots at Alaskan campers because I am not. I really like the interiors and hard sides, heck yes, but in my opinion there is no way the new wave of RV owners will make do with no bath and the first time it rains hard when popping the top, I think there will be unhappiness. 

So suppose  there was a way to design a hard pop top that opened without the potential for flooding the interior and if there a wet bath, I think it would appeal to a wider market. At present, as I see it, those of us who truck camp do without creature comforts that most buyers would not consider. What if the compromises were fewer?

I am not sure about any of this and may be miles off. I think I know the RV market well except for truck campers, but I keep seeing posts from folks asking if there is anyone else besides Alaskan that makes hard side pop-ups. What if there was? I bet folks would be willing to go a little taller which I honestly do not think would prove much of a handicap for most users in exchange for some other features. :)

#6 DrJ

DrJ

• Members
  • 514 posts
  • LocationSouthern Idaho

Posted 25 December 2017 - 10:35 PM

I’d personally love to see more hard sided pop ups.
Siesta also used to make a hard sized pop up.

Check out 68 Siesta. He has a hard sided pop up and is restoring another one.

Edited by DrJ, 25 December 2017 - 10:35 PM.

2015 Silverado Crew Cab Duramax and 2015 Front Dinette Grandby

One can change the world, it only requires kindness

http://www.truckcamp...g-family-earth/

#7 hoyden

hoyden

Lady Bug

• Members
  • 1,459 posts
  • LocationCarbondale, IL

Posted 25 December 2017 - 11:12 PM

I'm with Wandering Sagebrush. No wet bath or water heater. I lived in my FWC (Fleet) for five months and there are showers at campgrounds, much easier than using in a camper (and no worry about humidity/wetness inside) and I never once used my water heater. I just heated water on the stove if I wanted hot water. 

But a hard sided popup would be nice. I bet it'd be quieter to sleep in than the soft side, less wind issue, and less light infiltration.

https://no-destination.org/ .:.  https://razorgirls.org/

2014 Tacoma DCLB + 2015 FWC Fleet

As I get braver I get stronger, and as I get stronger I get braver. It’ a good cycle.

#8 ardvark

ardvark

• Members
  • 163 posts

Posted 26 December 2017 - 01:24 AM

My underlying thought is what would be the argument against a hard side pop-up if you could resolve potential weight and height issues? Aren't most of us using soft side pop-ups because there is no comparable hard side? :)

#9 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,974 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 26 December 2017 - 01:33 AM

My underlying thought is what would be the argument against a hard side pop-up if you could resolve potential weight and height issues? Aren't most of us using soft side pop-ups because there is no comparable hard side? :)

Don't forget - durability off road, weight, low centre of gravity, customizability, and the great support on this forum!

#10 cwdtmmrs

cwdtmmrs

• Members
  • 610 posts

Posted 26 December 2017 - 01:41 AM

Amazing how opinions differ. I think a wet bath and shower are a must have. I use the tankless water heater and inside shower in my FWC every day, but I don't camp in campgrounds etither.

cwd 

CWDT

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users