Is there a broader market for a hard side pop-up

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#21 ardvark

ardvark

• Members
  • 163 posts

Posted 28 December 2017 - 01:45 PM

The challenge is not how to make a pop-up hard side. That is relatively simple. The challenge is keeping the height when retracted within reason. 

#22 ramblefeet

ramblefeet

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Location45,-93

Posted 10 January 2018 - 05:32 AM

I keep thinking that what the industry really needs is a ready to drive off the lot popup hard side off-road capable camper.

If you started with a chassis cab and bolted the camper directly to the frame you could shave off several thousands of dollars and remove all the issues with having to design to the minimum common set of dimensions you need when you are designing for a wide range of vehicles.

If you look at the Winnebago Revel, it's only a so-so 4x4 due to a lack of articulation and being overly tall.  IMHO, of course, and I don't know much about 4x4's which is why I'd like to be able to just buy a turnkey package.  If there's a market for the Revel, there should be at least as big a market for what I'm proposing.

I personally would want a wet bath, lots of windows, no chance for rot or condensation, the ability to be used in both cold and warm temps, and the ability for at least one person to be able to stealth overnight without putting the top up.

I apologize if it seems like I'm hijacking your thread.  Reading posts up to this point led me to the belief you are looking for some open ended brainstorming.  I hope so, otherwise, never mind...

Edited by ramblefeet, 10 January 2018 - 05:32 AM.

#23 ardvark

ardvark

• Members
  • 163 posts

Posted 10 January 2018 - 09:11 PM

I keep thinking that what the industry really needs is a ready to drive off the lot popup hard side off-road capable camper.

If you started with a chassis cab and bolted the camper directly to the frame you could shave off several thousands of dollars and remove all the issues with having to design to the minimum common set of dimensions you need when you are designing for a wide range of vehicles.

If you look at the Winnebago Revel, it's only a so-so 4x4 due to a lack of articulation and being overly tall.  IMHO, of course, and I don't know much about 4x4's which is why I'd like to be able to just buy a turnkey package.  If there's a market for the Revel, there should be at least as big a market for what I'm proposing.

I personally would want a wet bath, lots of windows, no chance for rot or condensation, the ability to be used in both cold and warm temps, and the ability for at least one person to be able to stealth overnight without putting the top up.

I apologize if it seems like I'm hijacking your thread.  Reading posts up to this point led me to the belief you are looking for some open ended brainstorming.  I hope so, otherwise, never mind...

All comments are appreciated. :)

#24 windy

windy

• Members
  • 460 posts

Posted 16 January 2018 - 04:42 PM

I wanted better insulation than what the soft sides offered and with virtually no other options I opted for a Bundutec Riptide, compromising height for light weight and low CG but still hard sided. Very happy!

Edited by windy, 16 January 2018 - 04:43 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users