23 replies to this topic

#11 hoyden

hoyden

Lady Bug

• Members
  • 1,459 posts
  • LocationCarbondale, IL

Posted 26 December 2017 - 02:13 AM

I try not to camp in campgrounds and much prefer boondocking, but in my five+ months living on the road, I found that when I really wanted a shower I might just go stay at a campground, or often there was only campground as an option (no places to boondock, like here in Missouri it's super scarce), or I was visiting at a friend's house....

And I always had the option of hooking up the shower nozzle to the exterior of the camper.
Now with no water heater, that's potentially less comfortable, but that depends on the outside temps too. 

But I'm also not an every-day showerer like a lot of folks are, so it's less important to me. :-)

https://no-destination.org/ .:.  https://razorgirls.org/

2014 Tacoma DCLB + 2015 FWC Fleet

As I get braver I get stronger, and as I get stronger I get braver. It’ a good cycle.

#12 klahanie

klahanie

• Validating
  • 932 posts
  • LocationSW BC

Posted 26 December 2017 - 05:50 AM

... and not only that but the industry is taking an interest in promoting truck campers, which they did not do in the past, I think numbers will increase.

Interesting,  slide in campers have "always" been relatively popular in BC,  less so east of here from what I've seen on our travels. Trailers have been getting bigger and better appointed but are a different beast, in part I'd say because they can be used as a (more) comfortable alternative to a traditional home.

So suppose  there was a way to design a hard pop top that opened without the potential for flooding the interior and if there a wet bath, I think it would appeal to a wider market. At present, as I see it, those of us who truck camp do without creature comforts that most buyers would not consider. What if the compromises were fewer?

Largely agree. Personally I'd welcome better insulation to extend our cold weather camping. That could be satisfied with a contemporary hardside made from composites but a lower profile would get my attention ! But I have no interest in camping and watching a screen <_< even if next time, camping is watching a screen (virtual reality).

I realise you're not stuck on Alaskan but there is an online article about that company's recent new ownership to be found on Truck Campers Mag site. If you haven't seen it, you may find it interesting

I have no idea of the future of RVs, but I'll say I think the huge increase in pop up sales, best exemplified by  FWC had a lot to do with a golden period of exposure on the then emerging internet/social media. Now I see more and more RTTs - unheard of around here until recently - and I wonder if they are creeping into the pop ups market share ?

Keep us posted !

Edited by klahanie, 26 December 2017 - 06:05 AM.

#13 Beach

Beach

• Members
  • 866 posts

Posted 26 December 2017 - 02:49 PM

One advantage to the hard side pop up that appeals to me would be a reduction in condensation. I would make the shower optional,a modular design would let you replace it with a cabinet system or porti potty closet if the buyer did not want it. A cassette toilet as an intergral part of the wetbath would be nice. You have a lot of ex tent campers and back packers on this site so you will get quite a spread on answers as to what some consider needed in a camper.

#14 rando

rando

• Members
  • 1,638 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 26 December 2017 - 04:28 PM

One question for you would be where do you see this hard sided pop up fitting into the RV market hierarchy?    I am assuming you are not thinking of a 'mass market' product with the most 'standard' RV bling for the least $ (Palomino etc).  But are you thinking the 'utilitarian market', with a focus on light weight an longevity, with less bling for more $$ (FWC, ATC etc)?    Or are you looking a the boutique market, with ruggedness and features (XP, Earthroamer etc) with a corresponding price point?   

I am thinking as a small scale new player, you will be limited to the boutique market as your production costs would be high, at least initially.  From a market standpoint, the problem here is that there are just not that many customers that are willing to pay much more for less (ask Alaskan and XP about this).   Look at the mainstream RV market as and example, it seems to me that the only number that matters is $/sqft and $/bling feature, which has lead to the current low point in mass market RV quality and longevity.  But this is all speculation, as I am not expert on the RV industry.  

From my personal standpoint, I could be interested in hard sided pop-up sometime in the future - but it would need to be light weight and low profile.    I have no interest in the current offerings in hard sided truck campers - for me you loose so much capability with this sort of camper due to the high profile, terrible COG and and overall weight, that it has almost no advantage over a 4x4 or even a lifted 2wd sprinter van camper.   I would even consider a flatbed Alaskan, but my turn off is the aging design. If someone would make a composite panel version with a similar operating mechanism to the Alaskan, with a modern interior and materials, I would definitely be interested.    The issue with the front part of the pop up seems relatively easy to address.   You could add a FWC like soft liner that goes on the outside of the hard side bed walls that would provide weather tightness while you fold up the walls. 

I also think a flatbed design would also be a wise choice.   It seems that FWC is selling flatbeds like hotcakes, even though they are significantly more expensive.   Just from my interactions on WtW and with people we meet out and about - the market for these sort of campers has shifted a little.   It is no longer dominated by hunters and weekenders who camp on the weekend and use their truck for work during the week.   Now there seem to be many more travelers/climbers/hikers/bikers who want (and can afford) a capable camper, but don't need a pickup truck.  This is particularly true as you get into the 'boutique' market and are competing with XP and EarthRoamer.  I think the flatbeds also play to the 'expo' crowd who at least aspirationaly want an 'overland' vehicle than looks like an 'overland' vehicle, not a work truck loaded up for a weekend of camping. 

Any, that is way too much rambling from me, 

Edited by rando, 26 December 2017 - 04:32 PM.

2016 Fleet Flatbed

2016 Toyota Tacoma

#15 ardvark

ardvark

• Members
  • 163 posts

Posted 26 December 2017 - 11:01 PM

Certainly a lot to think about. It is hard to know who would buy a hard side pop up. My overall thought keeps coming back to, unless absolute weight and minimum height were the overriding factors what other advantages do soft sides have? Obviously I own a Hallmark, but if I could have a hard side that was not too tall or too heavy (I know, I know relative terms), I would change in a heart beat. 

As I see it, soft sides exist because it is much simpler to build a soft pop-up than a hard side pop up. I also think it is easier to build a conventional hard side than a hard side pop-up, and I don't expect a major manufacturer to jump in as the current market for truck campers is too small.

Again for folks who feel strongly soft sides are the only way to go or own an Alaskan, i mean nothing I say as insulting. I'm just brainstorming and it may lead to nothing at all. However, I keep thinking back to how some really well known names in the RV world started out building in the chicken coop in their back yard. 

By the way, I'm not sure how many folks know there was a prototype built by a major RV manufacturer for a hard side pop-up fifth wheel camper. several years back. It was the only one I have ever seen and I worked on it for the owner at one of the dealerships I did work for years ago. No reason that same technology wouldn't work in a fifth wheel. :)

#16 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,974 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 27 December 2017 - 05:40 AM

Certainly a lot to think about. It is hard to know who would buy a hard side pop up. My overall thought keeps coming back to, unless absolute weight and minimum height were the overriding factors what other advantages do soft sides have? 

Weight and height are a big deal for me.  I wonder if the question can be turned around... what advantage to hard sides have?

#17 ardvark

ardvark

• Members
  • 163 posts

Posted 27 December 2017 - 12:12 PM

Having never owned one, I can't speak definitely to that question. Maybe someone with an Alaskan would better be able to respond. 

I would like a lower profile for times when the wind is whistling, but it doesn't have to be as low as some TCs are now.I think there may also be less noise when camped, which I know is a non issue if you are boondocking away from others. For us I think there may also be a sense of being more secure.

As I said, I could be way off track with this idea entirely, but it sure seems like there are a good many folks searching for Alaskans and asking if there are alternatives as I bounce around the Internet.

#18 2trout

2trout

• Members
  • 101 posts
  • LocationGlenwood Springs

Posted 27 December 2017 - 05:49 PM

Yes, I think that there would be a demand for a hard side pop up.

But, and I'm casting a broad net here, I feel that those who frequent these pages are drawn to the Four Wheel, All Terrain, and Phoenix, ect. soft side popups because of the lightness and low profile designs. We feel these factors allow us to travel into remote areas more easily than a standard hard side truck camper. I don't think it is the soft side that draws us.

I do think that there would be a demand for a hard side pop up especially a pop up design that could fix some of the problems (perceived and real) that soft sides have - leaks and not particularly warm in winter. I feel that the whole pop up portion of these campers could use a complete redesign to fix these issues.

You know the saying...."Build a Better Mousetrap...." Low profile, light, water tight roof and sides. Do that, and you have a market.

Trout

#19 ardvark

ardvark

• Members
  • 163 posts

Posted 27 December 2017 - 06:53 PM

I think my first step will be to get my drafting board out of the attic and do some drawing. See if I can come up with something. Then make a rough prototype just for my own use. Maybe I could call it a "cross-over" between a soft side and hard side. :)

#20 longhorn1

longhorn1

Ouch, that stings!

• Members
  • 2,826 posts
  • LocationCarmel, Indiana

Posted 28 December 2017 - 11:57 AM

+2 with Mr. Sage, Northern Lite top and bottom fiberglass mold. Maybe as some one mention a inside soft side that can be velcro to keep water tight when raising or lowering or the front is 1 piece and lowers below the bottom of the overhang. My 2 cents. jd

http://texaslonghorns01.blogspot.com/

Ford F-250 Long bed, 2014 Grandby

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users