Photo

Alu-Cab Khaya Prime camper available for order at OK4WD (in NJ)

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#11 cwdtmmrs

cwdtmmrs

• Members
  • 610 posts

Posted 31 December 2017 - 06:15 AM

There was more that I didn't like about than I did like about it. #1 it is ugly....kinda butt ugly. No windows. I can still use my inside rear view mirror in my FWC. Didn't like the rear door or the bed system. I don't think there was a heater. Didn't like the stove/sink layout. The storage areas appear nice, but a lot of zippers, etc. to break or malfunction. I though the shower frame was kinda clever but that was about it. I've had my FWC/ 86 Toyota anywhere I wanted to take it, and places that I shouldn't.

cwd

CWDT

#12 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,589 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 31 December 2017 - 06:31 AM

After watching the video, I find some nice features and innovations, but I don’t believe it would be a fit for me.

I am haunted by waters

#13 Old Crow

Old Crow

Searching....

• Members
  • 1,059 posts
  • LocationSouth Central PA

Posted 31 December 2017 - 03:35 PM

I'm not thinking of trading my Hawk in on one but I do like seeing these have reached the US marketplace.  I admire OK4WD and Adventure Ready for taking on this venture and I hope they do well with the Alu-Cab products.

I first became aware of Alu-Cab and the robust South African 4x4 market when my wife and I did a self-drive safari trip to South Africa and Botswana in 2011.  Our rental was a Toyota Hi-Lux with an Alu-Cab canopy and an Eezi-Awn roof-top tent.  We lived in it for 25 days, mostly in Botswana.

The Alu-Can canopy was thoughtfully designed, very strong and did well in the bush.   We gave the rig quite a workout and in fact managed to break off the (Front-Runner) mounts for the Eezi-Awn from all the pitching about.   We had to limp into Gaborone in search of a 4x4 shop to get the rear mounts replaced.  And while that was being done I had a chance to see that the canopy itself was doing quite well.

'01 FWC Hawk shell on a '13 Tundra Double-Cab  + '19 Ford Transit van with Quigley 4x4 option

#14 Espresso

Espresso

• Members
  • 282 posts
  • LocationSF Bay Area

Posted 31 December 2017 - 04:16 PM

After watching the video, I find some nice features and innovations, but I don’t believe it would be a fit for me.

I agree.

#15 Mighty Dodge Ram

Mighty Dodge Ram

• Members
  • 1,003 posts
  • LocationClose to the edge...

Posted 01 January 2018 - 02:02 AM

Rando’s comments about the shoulder seasons resonate with me. I have this notion that those who live on other continents who frequently travel offroad by vehicle tend to “live outside” their rigs most of the time when weather allows, just like we do here. FWC/ATC et al allow one to “live inside” more comfortably when necessary, but also maintain that presence outside when the weather allows. I have used a shell for many years and it is fine when the weather is good and I’m spending most of the time outside. But add heavy wind, rain/snow, below freezing temps and it feels very cramped very quickly. I don’t enjoy camping in DV in December with the shell anymore.

I really like the rugged looks and utility of the Khaya but a bit more room would be nice. Perhaps we’ll see that if they ever produce a version for a full sized truck. I’m dreaming of being able to pull on my pants while standing. 😂

Of course, I could be completely wrong...I frequently am!
Richard
1996 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4, lightly lifted, ARB bumper/Warn winch, BFG AT/KO2, Snugtop shell. SOLD! But not forgotten!
2002 Chevy 2500HD XC LB 6.0L 4X4, Leer Hi-Rise shell, completely stock...for now!

#16 Squatch

Squatch

• Members
  • 1,281 posts
  • LocationOn the wrong side of the mountains!

Posted 17 January 2018 - 10:49 PM

Just watched the vid. I really don't see anything here that couldn't be done for $$$$$ less with an ARE contractors shell and a roof top tent. Way too many zippers to fail for my tastes.

I really don't think It would be much fun stuck inside over a couple of rainy days. My Eagle seems like a mansion compared.

I like the fold down ladder and the pull out shower tent rack. That shower rack could easily be adapted to our FWC's. And I might.

The batwing awnings are growing on me. Though here in the east screens are often more important than the shade.

Like said above just not a good fit for me. It's just a little too expo trendy while not really doing anything new. FWC is a game changer in many ways. This is not for me. Even the guy in the vid said it's just a shell with a roof top tent. 

I'm sure a lot of folks will find this just what they wanted though.

I'm a lot more excited about the Gofast Camper.

https://www.gofastcampers.com/

To me a similar concept that answers questions.

Just my .02.

Edited by Squatch, 17 January 2018 - 10:52 PM.

#17 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,962 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 18 January 2018 - 12:24 AM

I'm a lot more excited about the Gofast Camper.

https://www.gofastcampers.com/

To me a similar concept that answers questions.

Just my .02.

Now that's innovative.  Looks more like an upgrade to a canopy/capper than a FWC, but still a potentially very lightweight starting point to build a custom camper.  

#18 Frstnflt

Frstnflt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 18 January 2018 - 02:53 AM

I have it narrowed down to this or Tacoma Habitat with a mild build out (heat, power, and seating for 2 playing cards). East coast only and rarely can get away for more than 1-2 nights.  I understand the outdoor storage but I believe this sacrificed the most important interior space (shoulder room) and would feel cramped. Love the lack of wood and the utilitarian look. Should have a window. 

#19 Old Crow

Old Crow

Searching....

• Members
  • 1,059 posts

Posted 26 January 2018 - 10:06 PM

Here's a Khaya video posted a few days ago on the Mountain State Overland YouTube channel.  Tour guide is the publisher of OutdoorX4 magazine.  I like seeing footage of the Khaya rolling but the inside shots are too dark to see much.

As I watched the video I wondered how it's tied down so I called OK4WD.  I was routed to Rin Oostdyck who said it's similar to a Four Wheel camper installation on a Tacoma.  Tie-down bars bolt to the floor of the truck bed and there are access doors for turnbuckles.  But in this case, the access doors are in outside storage compartments. (I believe he said in the floors of those compartments).

I also asked if the Khaya is in the showroom at OK4WD or stored away for winter or something.  He said I could see it at the showroom but they're taking it to the Great American Outdoor Show in Harrisburg (PA) in early February.   That's great news for me as I live in that area.   I haven't been to that show in a few years but now plan to go see the Khaya in person.

Edited by Old Crow, 26 January 2018 - 10:46 PM.

'01 FWC Hawk shell on a '13 Tundra Double-Cab  + '19 Ford Transit van with Quigley 4x4 option

#20 Old Crow

Old Crow

Searching....

• Members
  • 1,059 posts

Posted 07 February 2018 - 07:54 PM

I saw the Khaya Monday afternoon at the outdoors show (in Harrisburg, PA).

I'm glad I went to see it.  It's a very interesting camper and I met some great folks from OK4WD.

The camper looked great in person-- high quality components and well thought out. 

As an FWC Hawk owner, I was at first taken aback by how small the interior stand-up space is.  But compared to the roof-top-tent rig I rented for our 2011 trip, the Khaya is luxurious.

It reminded me of the main complaints we had about the RTT rig.... take-down time and cooking on windy days. 

We were comfortable enough in the tent but the morning tear-down and pack-up took the better part of an hour.  With animals about and the fire down, we didn't start till almost sunrise so too much of that hour came out of the best time for finding and photographing game.  The RTT itself folded down quickly enough but we first had to remove and pack away the contents and I had difficulty getting the cover on and cinched down tight for travel. 

We also had a good bit of wind to contend with and had some difficulty cooking on the simple stove-ring atop the gas bottle.  The 'countertop' (food-prep surface) was a drop-down side door on the side of the canopy and that more or less worked but then again we were there in warm weather. 

So the Khaya strikes me as the step between a live-outside RTT and the live-inside (when you want to) truck campers like the FWC/ATC/Alaskan/Hallmark/Phoenix, etc.   The Khaya seems a very strongly built  unit and has minimal body overhang and a very durable external surface for those narrow trails.  It requires significantly less set-up/takedown time than an RTT rig.  Cook inside or out.  The sleeping platform pulled down and lifted up easily and does not conflict with the tent.  I liked the electrical stuff in general-- Ctek and National Luna components.  It did appear to be rigged for single house battery.  Not sure if that would change with the optional diesel furnace.

Downsides?

- The mattress is small and only two inches thick.  Sleeping orientation would necessarily be N-S and the climb up looked a bit precarious (for me, anyway).

-  Food prep looked like a bit of a problem but perhaps I just don't see how it's supposed to work.  The Dometic two-burner stove is integrated with the sink and has a hinged cover and right next to it is the largish top-loading fridge.  Those surfaces can't easily be used for food-prep and the flat surface on the far side of the fridge is carpet-covered.  Perhaps I missed something.

- I have my doubts on why the graywater tank is a good idea.

- Storage is of course at a premium.... and you don't have those long pull-out drawers of an RTT rig.  Thank goodness for the rear-seat area of the truck.

- As rando pointed out, the seats are too uncomfortable to use as is (for more than a very short time)

- Single propane bottle

Some nice touches...

- the shower hanger is interesting.... a simple rectangle pulls out from under the overcab on the passenger side to hang your shower curtain. And there's a 'duckboard' you remove from the inside of the door-way hatch and stand on while showering.

- the storage for a standalone metal table under the overcab is also great.  We had one like that on our trip and that worked well. Pull it out from the driver's side.

- Loved the Shadow Awn bat-wing awning.  

The figure I was given for weight was 800 pounds (dry).  Sounds low but of course options make a difference very quickly. 

A few snaps....

Front view (note how narrow it is).  And if you look closely, you can see the shower-enclosure hanger pulled out on the passenger side.

KhayaFrontView.jpg

Bed-lifter strut... and an idea of how wide the shelf is up front.

KhayaBedStrut.jpg

National Luna battery monitor (time for a charge!)

KhayaBatteryMonitor.jpg

Table-lock mechanism under the cabover.  That one may take some staring.  A tab is permanently bolted to the end of the table. At storage time, that tab slides over a pin and a slider adds tension.

KhayaTableLock.jpg

Rear tie down (!!!)

KhayaTieDown.jpg

Edited by Old Crow, 07 February 2018 - 10:04 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users