Photo
- - - - -

What Brand is the 160 watt Solar Panel FWC Provides?

• Please log in to reply
74 replies to this topic

#51 lzpup

lzpup

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 03 August 2019 - 02:03 AM

Hello Pvstoy, 

Very interesting, did you order the panels? I am interested in putting 2 of the overlands on my Hawk. Interested to know how you mounted and wired it.

Thanks,

#52 scappoosebrad

scappoosebrad

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 97 posts
  • LocationScappoose, OR

Posted 03 August 2019 - 09:33 PM

Check out the latest 4-Wheel posts at the top of this site...4-W is installing a new, lighter solar panel out their
factory...can't remember the brand, but remember seeing the factory post about 5 months ago...you could also
call Stan at 4-Wheel... he is always helpful with answers or referrals to an associate who can help you...

#53 Andy Douglass

Andy Douglass

• Members
  • 207 posts

Posted 04 August 2019 - 12:40 AM

Our 2018 Hawk, built last summer, came with Overland Solar 160w flexible panel, mounted on an aluminum frame, mounted to roof tracks. Also came with Overland Solar charge controller. FWC had just switched to OS from Zamp; they told us it was because OS is more reliable and lighter. I don't have a reference point to compare to, but the solar system works great.

#54 kramme

kramme

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts
  • LocationNor Cal

Posted 06 August 2019 - 07:04 PM

We have one of the new hawks (2019) and it has the Overland Solar 160w flexible panel, mounted on an aluminum frame, mounted to roof tracks with the Overland Solar charge controller. We would like to have more solar.

Two questions:

Has anyone with the new panel added a second panel on the roof or have suggestions on where we can go on the westcoast to do that?

Also as I do have a 100 watt flexible panel that can plug into the external port that was provided, will the charge controller be sufficient to handle the extra wattage?

2019 F250 and Hawk (Woolrich Edition)

#55 Oilbrnr

Oilbrnr

• Members
  • 110 posts
  • LocationFlagstaff & Scottsdale, AZ

Posted 06 August 2019 - 11:53 PM

Who makes the charge controller? The '17 I have has Victron (which is nice). Not sure if the PO swapped it, or if that is what FWC was installing then.

• 2016 Power Wagon - King/Thuren/Carli/Air Lift/Daystar suspension
  • 2017 FWC Hawk

#56 rando

rando

• Members
  • 1,638 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 07 August 2019 - 01:12 AM

The PO must have swapped your controller as my understanding is FWC is installing the 'overland solar' controller.   It appears to be a crippled version of the Victron controllers, without bluetooth or the option to update.   It is a pity they don't just use the Victron controller.

2016 Fleet Flatbed

2016 Toyota Tacoma

#57 BrianG

BrianG

• Members
  • 196 posts
  • LocationNorthern Nevada

Posted 07 August 2019 - 06:57 AM

I ‘m thinking of upgrading to a Blue Sky MPPT (SB3000i) or an Overland MPPT. I have a 2015 Hawk with 160w Zamp panel on the roof and 120w Overland portable all thru a Zamp 30a PWM. Any opinions on these MPPT controllers? Also, are they direct replacements, other than programming the battery type?

Or should I stick with the PWM? Shade and clouds are killing me.

Thanks

2018 Ram 3500 Mega Cab 4x4 Diesel, 2015 Hawk Silver Spur Exterior, Front Dinette

#58 rando

rando

• Members
  • 1,638 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 07 August 2019 - 01:38 PM

If you want the maximum power harvest from your two panels, you would do best to have each on its own charge controller as the panels have different specifications and will have different illumination and will therefor have different Maximum Power Points.    However, running both panels in parallel into the same controller will work, you just won't get a lot of power from which ever one is producing a lower output voltage. 

I would avoid overland solar for the reasons given above, and go with a Victron Smart solar MPPT 100/20 or two 75/15 controllers.  Blue Sky was definitely a pioneer in this area, but the Victron are far easier to configure and monitor with their bluetooth interface. 

Also make sure you have realistic expectations - MPPT will buy you 15 - 30% improved performance depending on conditions, so adding another roof mounted panel maybe a better option.

2016 Fleet Flatbed

2016 Toyota Tacoma

#59 Andy Douglass

Andy Douglass

• Members
  • 207 posts

Posted 07 August 2019 - 05:03 PM

Who makes the charge controller? The '17 I have has Victron (which is nice). Not sure if the PO swapped it, or if that is what FWC was installing then.

They started using Overland Solar mid-2018 (see my post above). Before that it was Zamp panels, not sure about the controller.

#60 BrianG

BrianG

• Members
  • 196 posts
  • LocationNorthern Nevada

Posted 07 August 2019 - 06:20 PM

Thanks Rando, good info and I'll look at the Victron, unfortunately I'm a woodworker/plumber, installing two controllers or rewiring would be over my head.

I normally pull a 12' trailer with a UTV, so a small generator is a possibility, but I'm trying to avoid it.

Thanks

2018 Ram 3500 Mega Cab 4x4 Diesel, 2015 Hawk Silver Spur Exterior, Front Dinette

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users