28 replies to this topic

#11 SWE

SWE

Don't Check WTW Often

• Members
  • 169 posts
  • LocationNM

Posted 01 February 2018 - 04:08 PM

I highly recommend Boise spring works to custom build a set of back springs based upon the load you are going to carry.  I tried airbags and they were a joke compared to a good set of custom springs.  They are also reasonably priced and you they can build it to your truck dimensions without them seeing your truck.  I had them shipped in and took them to a shop for install.  I typically run my FWC on the truck or a leer camper shell.  Without the weight they are stiff, but I have no reason to take off the FWC now that I found a long term solution for the added weight.  

My 2015 taco has a 2.5 inch lift on the front (adjustable Bilstein's) and Boise Spring Works built in a 2.5 inch lift on the back so it sits level.  I run 285 BFG's on my 2015 taco.  It is ready to go anywhere and rides like a dream.  I also had to find some Bilsteins shocks for the back as the OME's bottomed out, but in all it is a very reasonably priced suspension upgrade that should last a long time.  I stuck with a 2.5 inch lift as the service manager at Toyota told me not to go over 2.5 as it will start to screw with the long term wear on the drive train.  Even with the 285's and a loaded truck, it has plenty of power and will stop just fine.  

#12 acmedave

acmedave

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
  • LocationPNW

Posted 17 February 2018 - 06:42 AM

OME fail far too often.
Since they are standard with all TRD Off-road models and people try to use the trucks stock for off-road travel there are lots of people who have had them fail. Usually from overheating. I personally know of three people in addition to myself that had them fail. These were all trucks carrying camping loads. There have been several recent posts about people wanting to know about options for Tacomas.

Here's a good clip showing what can happen to different types of shocks/struts with no load.

#13 park

park

• Members
  • 381 posts
  • LocationWickenburg, Arizona

Posted 18 February 2018 - 08:18 PM

I must be lucky.  I've been running my 09 Tacoma with a FWC Fleet on it for well over 100,000 miles.  All stock except for air bags/upgraded tires and I've had zero problems.  And no, it doesn't sit in Starbuck's parking lot.  I've run it from the Arctic Circle to the tip of Baja and lots of points in between.  Granted, when off-road I don't beat the piss out of it but I don't hesitate in taking it anywhere either.  I just don't see dumping a ton of money in a major suspension overhaul.  I came across a guy with the same truck/camper set up as mine in Baja a few months ago and you would have thought he was going to run the Dakar with the damn thing.  He hadn't been anywhere in Baja that I hadn't already been.  I guess if money is no object, you want to look the part and you're into having all the fancy stuff then go for it.  I'll use my funds for gas, beer, and sardines while roaming about on another adventure.  

Edited by park, 18 February 2018 - 08:19 PM.

Blogsite:  http://www.nowhereto...ur.blogspot.com

https://www.facebook.com/parkkitchings

Instagram Account @parkkitchings

#14 Karlton

Karlton

• Members
  • 171 posts
  • LocationSouthern Idaho

Posted 20 February 2018 - 05:14 PM

I picked my Hawk up from the distributor in Boise, ID, which happens to be Boise Spring Works!  They did a custom rear leaf spring upgrade for my 2007 Tundra TRD, which handles the load of the Hawk with no issues.  I had considered airbags and upgraded bump-stops (e.g., Timbrens) before going with the spring upgrade.  It was a simple choice for me as Boise was doing the install, and the springs ran about $400.  

2019 Silverado 2500HD, 2017 Hawk

#15 badtoytrd

badtoytrd

• Members
  • 210 posts
  • LocationVA...for hopefully a short period of time...with WA on my mind

Posted 22 February 2018 - 01:23 AM

One thing to keep in mind is that with a 1000lb + of camper and gear on board you are not going to be a rock crawling, desert racing machine.   Relatively speaking, you will be a lumbering beast.  Extended travel and extra articulation are probably less important than longevity and maybe adjustability to dial in the damping for the heavy load.   I would go with Scott in that you want to avoid lift - you are going to be top heavy and tippy with the camper, extra lift or squishy long travel suspension will just make this worse.  

I have a 2016 Tacoma with a Fleet Flatbed (heavier than a shell) and I have OME Dakars with the extra leaf in the back, OME BP51 shocks and airbags/cradles for fine adjustments.   I dialed the front BP-51s down to the lowest preload/lift and still ended up a little higher than I would have liked.   I have also had two failures related to the BP-51s in ~10K miles, so I would not fully endorse these.  If i were to do this again, I would likely just use the standard  stiff OME shocks to save significant money and for higher reliability.   The FOX shocks seem to have similar issues with reliability and the need for frequent rebuilds. 

Can you tell us what issues you had with the BP51s? I am looking to upgrade my OME HD and this is the first I've heard anything negative about them.

2008 Toyota Tacoma Access Cab

2011 Four Wheel Campers Fleet

https://www.theadventuresofrubyd.com

#16 rando

rando

• Members
  • 1,638 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 24 February 2018 - 03:46 PM

I had a leak in the hose between the reservoir and the shock body and bolt in the mounting bracket that extends the rear axel shock mount shear.    Both of these failures happened with less than 10k miles.    I have read of others with leaks.

2016 Fleet Flatbed

2016 Toyota Tacoma

#17 badtoytrd

badtoytrd

• Members
  • 210 posts

Posted 25 February 2018 - 03:02 AM

I had a leak in the hose between the reservoir and the shock body and bolt in the mounting bracket that extends the rear axel shock mount shear.    Both of these failures happened with less than 10k miles.    I have read of others with leaks.

Good to know. I am in need of new shocks and was gonna go that route but now I think I'm just gonna go with Nitrocharger Sports. Apples to Oranges but a lot cheaper and possibly more reliable.

#18 So Cal Adventurer

So Cal Adventurer

• Members
  • 368 posts

Posted 25 February 2018 - 09:41 AM

I've ran Old Man Emu on 5 different Toyota's with probably close to 100k of OFF road miles, with not a single failure.  I STRONGLY recommend them for the type of stuff we do.

Each truck is different, so i wont give specific suggestions, except....  Whatever you do, if you really are set on replacing your UCA, do NOT replace them with anything that uses anything other than a stock style balljoint.  The Heim's and the orbital ball are insanely noisy after a short time and require an obscene amount of maintenance if you dont like creeking and all sorts of weird noises from your suspension.

Again, i have over 100k OFF road on 5 trucks, personally, ive never changed the UCA, and would never change them ever.  People get sucked into that rabbit hole, thinking they need them and very often, you see them selling them a year later to go back to stock

My .02

Follow My Shenanigans: instagram.com/campermccampface

#19 James T Kirk

James T Kirk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts
  • LocationMoab

Posted 25 February 2018 - 03:55 PM

I removed the OME AAL from my OME HD leaf pack. It was just too stiff a ride when the camper was off. And the rake was out of control. OME 887 coils in the front with Bilstein 5100's all around.

The HD Dakar's do just fine without anything else. Selling the AAL along with my stock leaf pack off of a 2017 Tacoma.

-Kirk Out

tacomabeef2-18-3.jpg

#20 badtoytrd

badtoytrd

• Members
  • 210 posts

Posted 25 February 2018 - 07:41 PM

I've ran Old Man Emu on 5 different Toyota's with probably close to 100k of OFF road miles, with not a single failure.  I STRONGLY recommend them for the type of stuff we do.

Each truck is different, so i wont give specific suggestions, except....  Whatever you do, if you really are set on replacing your UCA, do NOT replace them with anything that uses anything other than a stock style balljoint.  The Heim's and the orbital ball are insanely noisy after a short time and require an obscene amount of maintenance if you dont like creeking and all sorts of weird noises from your suspension.

Again, i have over 100k OFF road on 5 trucks, personally, ive never changed the UCA, and would never change them ever.  People get sucked into that rabbit hole, thinking they need them and very often, you see them selling them a year later to go back to stock

My .02

Great info!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users