• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#21 badtoytrd

badtoytrd

• Members
  • 210 posts
  • LocationVA...for hopefully a short period of time...with WA on my mind

Posted 25 February 2018 - 07:43 PM

I removed the OME AAL from my OME HD leaf pack. It was just too stiff a ride when the camper was off. And the rake was out of control. OME 887 coils in the front with Bilstein 5100's all around.

The HD Dakar's do just fine without anything else. Selling the AAL along with my stock leaf pack off of a 2017 Tacoma.

-Kirk Out

Thanks for the input. I have been contemplating install the AAL to the Dakars on my 08. How many leaves are in your pack without the AAL?

2008 Toyota Tacoma Access Cab

2011 Four Wheel Campers Fleet

https://www.theadventuresofrubyd.com

#22 bwag

bwag

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 04 April 2018 - 05:18 PM

Lactic, any updates on your suspension?  I have almost the same fox suspension set up excluding no remote reservoir in the rear, but do have them up front.  Picking up a swift at the beginning of may and about to go the same upgrade route you did.

#23 Hodakaguy

Hodakaguy

• Members
  • 641 posts

Posted 04 April 2018 - 09:56 PM

My setup is very similar to your planned setup. I have a 17 DCSB and Swift Shell model.

I’m running OME BP-51’s on all 4 corners (love the adjustability for when the camper is on/off the truck), Medium Dakar spring pack, Firestone air bags and Daystar Cradles.

I also installed larger 285/75-R16 tires and 4.88 gearing. Truck handles great on the road (you can stiffen up the shocks all the way around to reduce body roll and increase handling on the road when loaded).

Lots of info and pics on my build thread here: http://www.wanderthe...ilds-fwc-combo/

Hodakaguy

P3100326-X3.jpg

Edited by Hodakaguy, 04 April 2018 - 10:12 PM.

My 4wd Sprinter Build: CLICK HERE

My Unimog U1300L Build:  CLICK HERE

My VW Syncro Westy Build:  CLICK HERE

My Tacoma/FWC  Builds: CLICK HERE

Ride Report - In Memory Of The Crewmen: CLICK HERE

#24 lactic

lactic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 05 April 2018 - 12:48 AM

Hoda’s builds are crazy nice!

I thought about the OME 51’s but ended up with the Fox all around. Happy with my decision after a couple of days motoring around Crater of the Moon National Monument. I still need to upgrade my rear leaf springs and I think I will be using a shop in Boise for that. Or just get the medium Dakars. Still dialing in the final weight with my gear which will determine a lot.

CBI sliders in the basement ready to bolt on and a CBI front bumper on order. Really liking the setup other than the crazy Taco auto transmission that seems to be constantly hunting for gears in the rolling hills of the West. Once I accepted that 65-70mph is where she wants to be (15mpg), then we all started getting along.

Slow truck. Fast house.

Edited by lactic, 05 April 2018 - 12:49 AM.

#25 bwag

bwag

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 05 April 2018 - 01:12 AM

I see both of you use/are going to use medium dakars, being that I'm leaving the camper on full time and it's pretty much a loaded model I was thinking of going with the heavy set.  As best I can tell only difference is the heavy set provides the same rear lift with 660 lbs vs the medium set at 0 pounds or is my thought process negated by the use of air bags?  

Edited by bwag, 05 April 2018 - 01:14 AM.

#26 rando

rando

• Members
  • 1,638 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 05 April 2018 - 01:31 AM

If you are going to leave the camper on full time, the Dakar heavy set (with the add a leaf) is probably your best bet.  I have a Fleet flatbed on full time with the heavies and air bags, and only really need to use the airbags to fine tune (usually about 10psi, 20psi when fully loaded).  I am maybe an inch or so above stock, which is more than I wanted, but still OK. 

2016 Fleet Flatbed

2016 Toyota Tacoma

#27 nikonron

nikonron

• Members
  • 578 posts
  • Locationowensboro,ky

Posted 05 April 2018 - 12:04 PM

I leave mine on full time and am running the Dakar's with extra leaf and no air bags, works great.  Ron

#28 CaptRussia253

CaptRussia253

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts
  • LocationEdgewood, WA

Posted 06 April 2018 - 07:39 AM

I have a 2013 Frontier with a 2017 Swift shell. I'm leaning towards adding the airbags with my HD OME/Dakar springs. My truck seems to sway too much for my liking.

2013 Nissan Frontier CC 4X4

OME HD front coils/shocks. OME/Dakar HD rear with Firestone airbags/cradles.

2017 FWC Swift Shell

Custom things and stuff.

#29 camrsummers

camrsummers

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 08 January 2019 - 07:19 PM

Anyone running dakar leafs with OEM shocks on front and rear? I currently have a 2018 DCLB/Eagle shell with firestone bags. It's okay. I have only driven on HWYs with it at this point. Before the airbags were installed I was basically riding on the bump stops.       IMG_0544.jpeg

Edited by camrsummers, 08 January 2019 - 07:35 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users