• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#1 CAPTAIN COORS

CAPTAIN COORS

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 27 January 2009 - 06:58 PM

I know your saying CAMPGROUNDS!. Most of you are like Linda and me when it comes to campgrounds, we avoid them like the plague. We always try to camp along a deserted FS road (WE DON'T NEED NO STINKEN CAMPGROUND). But not all campgrounds are equal and at time they are needed. Here are our three favorite spots:

1. Sunny Flat Campground Portal, Az The best birding in the US, views of the surrounding mountains are unbelievable.

2. Lockett Meadows Campgrounds Flagstaff, Az Beauitful meadows, best in Oct. when the aspens turn color

3. Kodachrome Basin State Park Connonville, Ut Beauitful area with many hiking trails

#2 DirtyDog

DirtyDog

Captain Leisure

• Site Team
  • 3,157 posts
  • LocationEugene, Oregon

Posted 27 January 2009 - 07:04 PM

I don't like campgrounds much either but I've been to a few uncrowded ones that I really like (crowd factor related to time of year most likely):

Mattole Beach - Lost Coast California - beautiful spot - hike right into the beachfront wilderness from this campground.

Cathedral Gorge State Park - Nevada - clean, scenic, showers, even has a self-serve book exchange

Chukar Park - Eastern Oregon - just a rudimentary BLM campground but in a pretty spot and is often a stopover for me on trips to Utah or Colorado

#3 chnlisle

chnlisle

Post Master

• Members
  • 3,811 posts
  • LocationThe Old Pueblo

Posted 27 January 2009 - 07:10 PM

Gold Mine near Bluff Utah, Wild Horse Canyon on the Burr Trail. The entire Vizcaino Penninsula. Baja on the Cortez side. Laguna San Ignacio and oh so many more.

Special Engel Pricing For WTW Members

Click here to see my ATC Cougar
JayAronowSales.com
(520)579-9610
jayaronow@gmail.com

#4 DLN

DLN

• Members
  • 1,111 posts
  • LocationGrass Valley Area, CA

Posted 27 January 2009 - 07:17 PM

DD,

Funny that you mention Cathedral Gorge, on the same day last week without talking to each other about it my wife and I both decided it would be a great stop over for a future trip to Zion. She read your thread in the Back Roads of Nevada report and I spotted it on the map and did a little on line research. About 8 hours from here and only another 2 1/2 into Zion will let us set up and enjoy the first day in the park more.
DLN Ex- 2006 Eagle - 2002 Tacoma TRD - Ride Rite Air Bags Current - 2004 17' Casita SD

#5 DirtyDog

DirtyDog

Captain Leisure

• Site Team
  • 3,157 posts
  • LocationEugene, Oregon

Posted 27 January 2009 - 07:22 PM

DD,

Funny that you mention Cathedral Gorge, on the same day last week without talking to each other about it my wife and I both decided it would be a great stop over for a future trip to Zion. She read your thread in the Back Roads of Nevada report and I spotted it on the map and did a little on line research. About 8 hours from here and only another 2 1/2 into Zion will let us set up and enjoy the first day in the park more.

What month are you going? You'll enjoy that campground - bring your hiking boots - the walk through the gorge is easy and really neat.

#6 Chukar Hunter

Chukar Hunter

• Members
  • 146 posts
  • LocationVirginia City Nevada

Posted 27 January 2009 - 07:43 PM

I can't belive I never heard of Chukar Park

#7 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,023 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 27 January 2009 - 11:26 PM

I have a soft spot for the Manzanita Lake campground in the Lassen National Park. Its a big park but its in the trees, plenty to around there. In fact its so big when I was little I got lost "in" the campground. Has (or used to have) some great Ranger presentations in the amphitheater. And all amenities, showers etc.

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#8 SunMan

SunMan

King Taco

• Members
  • 2,362 posts
  • LocationOxnard, CA.

Posted 27 January 2009 - 11:58 PM

...but I'd say:

Big Sur - Limekiln State Park
Sequoias - Mineral King/Coldsprings campground

Sunman
2003 Four Wheel Camper -Hawk

2023 All Terrain Camper - Panther 
2006 Toyota Tundra Double Cab Limited 4WD
2017 Toyota Tundra Double Cab Limited 4WD

#9 DLN

DLN

• Members
  • 1,111 posts
  • LocationGrass Valley Area, CA

Posted 28 January 2009 - 12:45 AM

DD,

It's looking like mid October some time but timing is still a bit up in the air. Hiking boots, bikes, full ice chest, hopefully lots of sun screen, and maybe water shoes for the Narrows, still in the planning stages.
DLN Ex- 2006 Eagle - 2002 Tacoma TRD - Ride Rite Air Bags Current - 2004 17' Casita SD

#10 marc

marc

Fire Proof

• Members
  • 1,121 posts
  • LocationSouth Shores California

Posted 28 January 2009 - 03:57 AM

Phifer Big Sur State Park

Van Dam State Park

Jalama

Devils Post Pile

2016 Sprinter Silver Gray 144 Std. Roof 4x4. 3.0 diesle, Cooper "Dicoverer" ST Maxx 255/85/16

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users