• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#21 PackRat

PackRat

• Members
  • 680 posts
  • LocationNovato, CA

Posted 12 February 2018 - 06:09 PM

Many good options/solutions but...to answer your question....YES....you are using too much water for "camping"! You can utilize many of the suggestions here but cutting down on USAGE is the first issue to address.

1988 Ford F-250 HD Lariat 4x4 8 Ft. bed

1976 Alaskan 8 Ft. CO camper

#22 Timothy McGowen

Timothy McGowen

• Members
  • 409 posts
  • LocationOceanside, CA

Posted 13 February 2018 - 04:30 AM

What about mounting something like this to the very front of your truck bed?

https://www.frontrun...-outs-flat.html

And then build a small, simple spacer around it (set the camper back a few inches from the front of your truck bed), so the camper does not touch the water tank.

Would get you another 10 gallons and might be able to buy a hose kit and use gravity to access the water.

Just a thought.

I was looking at these for grey water.

2016 Ford F150 SuperCab 4X4 Lariat 2.7 EcoBoost Engine

2016 FWC Hawk Front Dinette Silver Spur

#23 Timothy McGowen

Timothy McGowen

• Members
  • 409 posts
  • LocationOceanside, CA

Posted 13 February 2018 - 04:36 AM

I usually hit a campground once a week for a shower and fill up then. In between campgrounds I hit the pay showers at truck stops to save water. 

2016 Ford F150 SuperCab 4X4 Lariat 2.7 EcoBoost Engine

2016 FWC Hawk Front Dinette Silver Spur

#24 doc

doc

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 14 February 2018 - 12:13 AM

I usually hit a campground once a week for a shower and fill up then. In between campgrounds I hit the pay showers at truck stops to save water. 

Great idea, but what does your wife do?  I'm assuming my wife wouldn't want to shower at a truck stop.  I even fear suggesting the idea.  She doesn't mind female shower facilities at the 'RV resorts,' but that and a water supply is all they're good for.  Is that what you mean by campground?

2015 Chevy 2500HD 4x4, Double Cab, Long Bed
2016 FWC Grandby

#25 doc

doc

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 14 February 2018 - 12:19 AM

Finished adding this today.  I've always felt reassured having an extra 5 gallons of fuel.  Now I'll have more water too.  I'm 6'2, so by standing on a stump or small step stool, it'll be right at the level of the water fill while resting on my shoulder.  Most federal campgrounds have potable water, so I can fill it if need be.  As for preventing damage to the door, I added a small bump stop which works great.  And extended the door latch, which also seems to work well.

I still plan to cut down on the water usage too.  :)

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_1803.JPG

Edited by doc, 14 February 2018 - 12:20 AM.

2015 Chevy 2500HD 4x4, Double Cab, Long Bed
2016 FWC Grandby

#26 klahanie

klahanie

• Validating
  • 932 posts
  • LocationSW BC

Posted 14 February 2018 - 02:12 AM

^ I like it !  You have a filling and extra storage container in one. Get a tube like esimmers mentioned and you'll be set - filling will take some time tho. And nothing saying you can't fill the container only half way to ease lifting and pouring when replenishing the main tank.

Secpters are awesome. The wide mouth is a great feature when cleaning and air drying the container. And allows good inspection of water inside when checking for floaters, turbidity etc. For eg, sometimes we'll find the water to be a bit sandy - esp from a lake side well.

#27 DavidGraves

DavidGraves

• Members
  • 1,267 posts

Posted 15 February 2018 - 12:20 AM

Great idea, but what does your wife do?  I'm assuming my wife wouldn't want to shower at a truck stop.  I even fear suggesting the idea.  She doesn't mind female shower facilities at the 'RV resorts,' but that and a water supply is all they're good for.  Is that what you mean by campground?

Just for info sake....the showers at most Flying J truckstops are entirely up to par.....clean and comfy and come with towels etc.

Ten bucks and you get two good showers....long as you are willing to share.

Sure serves the need when making miles crossing the continent.

David Graves

#28 James T Kirk

James T Kirk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts
  • LocationMoab

Posted 15 February 2018 - 04:53 PM

What about mounting something like this to the very front of your truck bed?

https://www.frontrun...-outs-flat.html

Thanks for posting the link to this company. Great, ingenious, products. Probably going to get some of their stuff for gray water. Looks like they did a photo shoot in my backyard. Castle Valley...Kirk Out

Block_9.jpg

#29 NorCalHawk

NorCalHawk

• Members
  • 316 posts
  • LocationHumboldt County, California

Posted 17 February 2018 - 05:52 PM

I agree with DavidGraves, the Flying J showers are great.  They are large, clean, sanitary and warm.  Also with sink, well ventilated and  towels are included...or use your own as I do. You can also share a shower with your wife/girlfriend and cut the cost in half. 

I too, use a water container with pouring spout to fill my main water tank when my filler hose does not reach.  I carry 3/2.5 gal. Scepter (food grade & easy to handle) water containers that we use only for drinking & cooking. Main water tank is used for cleaning dishes, clothes and washing our bodies. Also, we use natural water sources, such as, creeks/rivers by filling a bucket from the sourse, carry it back to camp (away from river), wash whatever and dispose of the water properly.    

#30 DanoT

DanoT

• Members
  • 278 posts
  • LocationSun Peaks, B.C.

Posted 19 February 2018 - 07:17 PM

Heat water on the stove and use a portable shower with a low flow shower head.

Paper plates

HD vinegar for cleaning counter tops etc as it is non toxic so it doesn't need a water flush

Wet Ones and hand cleaner.

1991 Dodge CTD, owned since new. 2011 Coyote RV Phoenix pop-up camper, custom made for the Canadian winter.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users