34 replies to this topic

#31 smlobx

smlobx

Lost again

• Members
  • 1,529 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 19 February 2018 - 10:48 PM

We find one of our rate limiting steps is water supply.  With even rationed consumption, we can stretch the 20 gallon tank to 3 nights max, but that is still cutting it close.

We've (regrettably) stayed a night in an "RV resort."  Upsides were: hot showers and beach access.  Downsides were: a lot.  We also felt way out of place.  This was an easy way to fill up though.

We've stopped at market and bought 10 1 gallon jugs, which worked, but was a bit of a hassle and an extra stop.

Now, I'm going to mount an AT water can holder on the jack bracket.  This will be an extra ~ 5 gallon reserve and I can fill in campgrounds with potable water...

What are other people doing to filling up while on a trip?

I noticed that you have a double cab and in looking around at the website noted above I saw this...

https://www.frontrun...water-tank.html

It might help extend your range....

Eddie
KO4CPL

Travel light. Travel far. Travel safe.

#32 PackRat

PackRat

• Members
  • 680 posts
  • LocationNovato, CA

Posted 20 February 2018 - 12:31 AM

Mounting a couple cans where you can safely hang them so they don't destroy the siding of the camper or the vehicle for WATER ONLY would be something to consider. No problem with a fireball if you get run into with H2O only!

At about 8 lbs per gallon plus the container weight, that's about 50 lbs you are having to lift up and my back won't allow for anything like that being hoisted up head-high or even above that.

So...

Water conservation

Filling up whenever possible

Monitoring usage

After a couple trips you will have figured out the usage and tailored your consumption to that amount you want to carry.

By the way, with a nod to overloading the rear axle, adding another couple 50 lb loads to the REAR of the vehicle is going in the wrong direction...so consider fabricating a mounting system up FRONT and let the front axle carry that extra 100 lbs or so.

1988 Ford F-250 HD Lariat 4x4 8 Ft. bed

1976 Alaskan 8 Ft. CO camper

#33 pawleyk

pawleyk

• Members
  • 190 posts
  • LocationReno Nevada

Posted 21 February 2018 - 03:41 PM

We fill the main 20(+6) gallon tank from wherever we see a spigot or hose someone will let us use. We bleach that water according to WHO specifications so no matter what's in it, we can drink it if we're don't mind it tasting like pool water. That water though is basically used for everything but drinking. Dishes, quick showers every few days, brushing teeth, etc. 

We have two 2.5gal jugs we fill with potable water wherever we can get it and use those for our drinking water.

We've found it's nice to have two different options for filling and carrying water. With this setup we can easily go a week to two weeks before needing to refill. One of our road rules though is to fill the main tanks whenever we see a hose, unless we know we're going to a place where there's water and we're going to have a long driving day. It's nice to keep the weight down.

https://www.instagram.com/kp.pawley/

A farm boy and a Chevy truck take a long drive.

KI7AMV

#34 pawleyk

pawleyk

• Members
  • 190 posts
  • LocationReno Nevada

Posted 21 February 2018 - 04:36 PM

I was looking at these for grey water.

Anybody know if they make something similar for fuel? 

https://www.frontrun...-outs-flat.html

https://www.instagram.com/kp.pawley/

A farm boy and a Chevy truck take a long drive.

KI7AMV

#35 Dandil

Dandil

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 15 March 2018 - 07:48 PM

I told my wife when we were talking about what and how we deal with trash because we have to hall out all of out trash when wild camping.  My response was not how we deal with trash but what we have to do in order not to generate trash.  In regard to cooking, clean up and water, I try to cook with not making a big mess that needs to be cleaned up with water which is limited.  So one thing you can't get around is the number of people, however you may have to re-think your meals and cooking methods simply because you're not at home and water is in short supply.  When we leave home we have 20 gal tank full and be sure your hot water tank is also full (another 6 gal) if you have one.  We also buy 24 pacs of bottled water whenever we can and pac bottles in every nook.  This helps a lot.  As far as campgrounds, we have accepted overnighters at organized campgrounds as a matter of convienant  stop.  Top of water, laundry, charge batteries and a shower.  

Happy camping 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users